What is your teaching philosophy?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by educatingme, Feb 14, 2007.

1. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Feb 14, 2007

Is it something you just "know" or can you convey it?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

Are you trying to find out others' philosophies to see what's out there, or are you primarily trying to figure out how to convey your own?

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

I think it's hard to put a philosophy down into words if you have little experience in a classroom. For me, a philosophy is based on what a person values and how they can incorporate those values into their teaching style and classroom setting.

Philosophies often change with experience. You will figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

I've always struggled with this one too.

5. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Feb 14, 2007

Maybe a little bit of both. I wanted to hear others', but as I try to answer the question myself, I realize I'm not sure how to put into words what I feel is my own philosophy. I have some words/values...but, not really coherent sentences for them.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

Well, let's see if we can help here. What words or phrases have you got floating around?

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

Some thoughts to get you started:

What is your role as an educator?
    Why do you want to teach?
    What do you really want your students to take away from your class?

(I'm helping bf write his philosophy of music ed for a grad school application... his first draft is WAY too long, FAR too wordy, and doesn't actually answer the question. he's not too happy that everyone's telling him he essentially needs to start over.)

8. Zrocker

Zrocker Rookie

Feb 15, 2007

Still awaiting my first assignment as a sub. Was a little glad they didn't need me Wednesday. Well, next shot is tuesday.

My philosophy is that I'm a guide who endevors to teach.

The teachers I respect the most are those who were fair.

A guide that is fair and trusted will do better.

Learning is best defined as a relative permant change in behavior.

A teacher once asked me if I trusted him. My intution went off that perhaps I shouldn't; but, I said, "Yea, your a teacher"

He directed me to put my hand in a stapleler if I trusted him.

I called his bluff. Well, the teacher that only lasted one semester stappled my hand!!!!

He wasn't bluffing. So I learned what I already knew. Don't call a bluff unless your ready to pay the price.

So if any kid ever says I'm a bad teacher perhpas I'll tell them that story.

9. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Feb 15, 2007

My philosophy is that learning should be fun, hands-on, and meaningful (early childhood).

10. HMM

HMM Cohort

Feb 15, 2007

In my philosophy I talk about how I try to address students with different learning styles and abilities. As we all know, no two students are exactly the same. It is important to tackle these issues in a philosophy. IMO :)

11. Jenniferw1984

Jenniferw1984 Rookie

Feb 16, 2007

What are your ideas for how this can be done? I mean, i feel that every childs backround and abilites should cause the teacher to fit their individual needs but how does one adress these differences in other ways. I have me ideas but goodness is it hard forme to explain

12. Zrocker

Zrocker Rookie

Feb 16, 2007

Amen, being fun will increase the odds that it will be more then temporary. Also kudos for meaningful!!!

Just thought of a hand-on type of slogan.

"Do your best and forget about the rest." the philosophy comes into implementing this and getting better.

Thinking back to the teachers I have had I think the best ones were the ones that were fair.

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2007

I do agree, but there comes a point when some things just cannot be fun all the time. That is why I like hands on and meaningful as better choices.