What is your school's cell phone policy?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by englady8, Jun 28, 2012.

1. englady8

englady8 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012

If students are caught with their cell phone visible (or if they ring, buzz, look at them "to check the time", etc.), teachers are to take the phone to the office where it may be kept for two weeks to thirty days. The amount of time depends on the number of times the student breaks the rule, who the student is, who their parent is, or how much their parent rants, etc.

I wonder sometimes who's calling my student at 11:42 a.m. in the middle of class. Surely they know he or she is in class.

Teachers are asked to use the land line phones in the the lounge, and not bring their cell phones in the building (although teachers get caught breaking the rules sometimes, as well).

Just wondering if other schools have a no cell phone policy, or are your students allowed to use their cell phones at school.

3. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jun 28, 2012

Kids are allowed to have their cell phones before school and during lunch.

I let kids use their phones in class. Most of them have smartphones and if they want to look stuff up I let them.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

Students are allowed to use their phones before and after school and during lunch. If they are caught using the phones during class, the teacher is supposed to confiscate the phone, then send it to the deans' office, where the student can pick it up after school. Most teachers ignore this rule and let students use their phones without consequence, making it really difficult for teachers like me to enforce the rule (but I still do/try).

A no-phones policy wouldn't work at our school or anywhere in our district. It's a big district, the entire county, and we have a "school of choice" program plus magnet programs, pulling in students from literally every corner of the county. Kids have to be able to keep in touch with their families on their way to and from school. Not having a phone when you are traveling 20 or 30 miles home becomes a safety issue.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

I'll add that I think that there are many great ways that cell phones can be used for instruction and practice. But since my admin/district has a rule that cell phones aren't to be used in class, I am not able to incorporate all those methods in my class. I follow the rules, even if others at my school do not.

6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 28, 2012

In the middle school, students have to turn the phone off upon entering the building and leave them in their lockers until dismissal time. They are not supposed to turn them on until they are out of the building. There are escalating consequences for not following the rules - first time the phone is confiscated by the teacher and returned at the end of the day, second offense the phone goes to the office and a parent has to come pick it up, third offense - the student loses the phone for a month.

Some bus drivers do not let them use phones for any reason on the bus.

Teachers can have their own phones but they are to be on "silent" during class time.

At the high school, most of the classes have a basket by the door for students to leave their phones - turned off. They too have consequences for not following the rules, but I'm not sure what the process is.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2012

I'm in elementary. They have to have them turned off and stored in their backpacks. If they are caught, the phone goes to the office until a PARENT picks it up.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 28, 2012

Students are not allowed to use their cell phone or have it out during class, but that's largely ignored. We are constantly fighting the cell phone battle, and honestly, it's not one that we get constant support for. Some teachers are really strict about it, and others let it slide. I don't mind cell phones any more than I mind other bits of technology. As long as the student is actively engaged in class and is doing work, then an occasional glance at a text doesn't bother me.

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2012

I'm elementary and it isn't an issue. I can only imagine how hard this is to police at the high school level.

10. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2012

It can be a problem in elementary. Students are not to have phones on, used, seen, on their body at all during school. They are to be kept off and in the backpack. We see them, we can take them. There is no hard and fast rule at our school, but we can make parents come get them.
    As for teachers, we are discouraged from using them during teaching time, but as for while at work...Our administration has always walked around the building using the cell phone all the time, so that will never be an issue.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 28, 2012

Students are to leave cell phones turned off and kept out of sight. As far as I know, none of my first graders had one!

12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 28, 2012

We have a "Bring Your Own Technology" policy. Students can bring laptops, phones, and other electronic devices to class, but they can only use them when the teacher allows it (such as for educational projects, notes, etc.) If a student is using it when the teacher does not allow it, they are to be confiscated.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2012

Cell phones aren't a problem with my Preschoolers! However, teachers are supposed to leave their phones in the office because some of them just couldn't stay off theirs. When I put mine in the office I tend to forget it at the end of the day, so have been keeping it in my purse on "silent."

14. Math

Math Cohort

Jun 28, 2012

Students can bring cell phones to school. However, they must be turned off. If a teacher sees a or hears a phone they have the right to confiscate it and turn it in to the office.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 29, 2012

This.

16. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Jun 29, 2012

I'm always amazed how many of my second graders have phones with them, and really nice smart phones usually. The phones need to be in their backpacks and off/silent. If I see or hear it, I take it to the principal's office until the parent picks it up. Teachers are not supposed to be using their's for any reason any time they are in the presence of students, but this is often ignored by many teachers. Personally, I think this sets a terrible example to be seen texting while on recess duty or while students are working individually in the room.

17. englady8

englady8 Rookie

Jun 29, 2012

Originally posted by Ilovesummer: Personally, I think this sets a terrible example to be seen texting while on recess duty or while students are working individually in the room.

I agree!

18. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

Students at my school leave theirs turned off and locked up in their homeroom teacher's classroom. This also includes ipods, but they are are allowed ipads/kindles if they are using them to read on for class. It is just an expectation that student comply, and I only had one student try and get away with it this year. He got a referral and cell phone taken.

Teachers aren't supposed to be talking/texting during class obviously. But we are a small school and texting is a way we communicate amongst teachers during the day because we don't have an classroom phone system where you can call each other, only a direct line to the office. So if I had an situation with a student I would send a blank text to my P and/or resource teacher and they would come immediately.

19. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jun 29, 2012

Students are allowed to use their cell phones in the halls, but are not to have them out or on in class. HOWEVER - this is a major, major issue at my school. Students are constantly using their cell phones in class and it's a major battle to have them turn them off or put them away, and confiscating them is often a major battle (and whether we are even "allowed" to is up in the air). At one point admin said you could send them to the office and have them bring it there for the day but this often turns into a major battle (student refusing, then you have to call security to get them to the office, etc.). I don't even know if we were to send students to the office with their phones this past year because there wasn't much consistency from admin.

20. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

Ditto!