What is your school doing to conserve

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Elcsmith, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Feb 25, 2009

At my school everyone is so focused on conserving copies. I feel like there's so much more we can do.

Unplug TV's
    No more cover sheets for faxes...or handwritten
    Turn on only half the school lights and open the blinds!!!

I have tons of other ideas listed and have a meeting with my principal tomorrow. I was just wondering what everyone else was doing at school during such difficult times.

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2009

turn off computers nightly
    recycle recycle recycle
    no more lamps burning in the window
    wearing sweaters in the room

4. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Feb 25, 2009

At my mom's school, they've removed all the lightbulbs in the hallway. I guess it's working...they saved 2000 bucks in January.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2009

I copied and pasted your ideas to my P. He had just sent out an e-mail asking for suggestions. We're supposed to talk about it tomorrow. Thanks...

The system is installing some kind of device that turns all the computers off in certain schools after a particular time, and in the hgh schools (due to night classes) at a different time. You can by-pass it and get back on if you're working late.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2009

Shut down everything at night - my computer, printer, VCR/DVD are all plugged into a hot strip, and I switch that off.

During winter and spring breaks, we clean out the refrigerators in our department workrooms, unplug them, and prop the doors open so they don't get smelly.

Turn lights off when we leave the room.

Recycle, of course.

I give assignments on half sheets of paper - my students have good eyes! I find it's easiest to do with Microsoft Publisher. I use 9 point text and print on both sides. You can fit as much on a half sheet that way as on a full sheet using 12 point font.

When something doesn't come out right on the printer, I save that paper and use the back side for notes, or even print something else on the back if I'm going to make copies of it.

Switching to LCD monitors from the old boxy ones saves a ton of energy, but there is the initial cost to consider. However, if you need a monitor, that's the way to go.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 25, 2009

Cutting staff hours.

8. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 26, 2009

My university has started going to 50% lights after business hours (for night classes). They also experimented with not using the parking lot lights -- um, not a good idea. =-0

9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2009

We make a lot of noise about conservation but in practice we don't do very much.

Examples.

1) Our City decided to recycle paper. 2 large dumpsters arrived in school which we dutifully filled (very quickly). Months later they came and emptied them. We refilled them in about 3 days but again it took months to get them emptied, meanwhile all the excess paper went into the general rubbish (trash). Now the recession means that the scrap price of paper has fallen and the Cities are having to stockpile recycling materials as no-one wants to process them. Thus the City has taken the dumpsters away and all our paper goes in the trash!

2) During examinations we used to write the start and finish times of the exam on a blackboard at the front of the hall for the students. Now we project this information using a 2kW projector linked to a computer which runs for the duration of the exam (sometimes 2 hours).

10. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 28, 2009

hmm these are great idea, I love the idea of turning on half of the lights only. I might just try that here in my class :) thanks

:thumb:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 28, 2009

We cut a little less than 10 business people/office workers at my school. We all have laptops so we save paper by not sending out flyers and instead just email one another everything. Copiers are unplugged at the end of the day, computers get unplugged during long vacations. I put stuff online so if kids forget a copy at school they can download it and print their own copy at home instead of not doing their homework and coming in to ask for a second copy. I have a power cord that I turn off every day that I keep my laptop plugged into. I know alot of light in the hallways are turned off.

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2009

Our school was built in 1938 and the heating systems is the same vintage. None of the radiators have control knobs on then anymore, I think they were melted down during WW2 to make spitfires or something. Thus they cannot be turned down. So if you teach in a classroom close to the boilers then your room is like a sauna and you have to have the windows open in the middle of the winter to get rid of the heat and make the classroom bearable. However if you are at the end of the line on the coldest days the kids have to wear their coats in lessons! The City has spent shed loads of money replacing all the old windows with double glazing which means the hot classrooms are now even hotter and because of H&S regulations the windows will only open a few centimetres so now those rooms are unbearably hot. However the cold rooms are still freezing! In the UK there are loads of initiatives where we try to encourage the kids to be less wasteful yet the building itself wastes so much energy.

On another note someone mentioned turning lights off. I only use 1 third of the lights in my room. That is suffiient for most things and I have found the kids behaviour is better as well if they are not being dazzled by all the lights being on.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  13. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 1, 2009

My school is not doing anything. They haven't talked to us about conserving. They still send out full page notices and an envelope for a student owing 5 cents in the lunchroom. Can you imagine how many of these go out?

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 1, 2009

I'd just save the envelope and the full page (and the ink) and consider the five cents to be paid back! Actually, you probably save more than five cents by not using all that stuff to send that letter... the school would probably owe the student money for not sending out a notice!

15. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 4, 2009

I never throw paper away unless it has something on both sides. Unused paper either get put in my printer or cut into quarters for note paper. I rarely need post-its because I write all my notes on old flyers!