What is your schedule like?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kk354, Oct 19, 2014.

1. kk354

kk354 Rookie

Oct 19, 2014

I'm really interested in seeing how other teachers are faring with fitting everything in with so much to get through - academic, social, etc. I find myself trying to rearrange my schedule daily but it's like a puzzle with too many pieces…..I'm sure many teachers are feeling this way and want to hear what you are all doing….I LOVE teaching but…….I'm finding myself constantly frustrated with how little time I have to teach and how much material I expected to get through.. :unsure:

The expectations in my district are very rigorous/fast paced. We use the CCSS and scripted phonics and math programs. I'm able to be flexible with how I teach writing and have science and SS units to utilize. No reading program which would help as there are some good ones that ingrate so many pieces of ELA.

We have 8 periods a day. School is about 6 hours. Everyday I lose teaching time for the following - 1 period for special, 1 period of lunch/recess, 2 periods for ELA and Math intervention. I'm left with 4 periods, not including time lost due to transitions and kids coming in and out of the room constantly. I have a lot of kids who go out for services. I have my whole class all together maybe 2 periods per day. Also have to factor in numerous meetings, interruptions, etc…

I just feeling like my job is unmanageable. While I appreciate and believe in the RTI (intervention) model and the benefits of specials, etc…..the expectations for curriculum seem to rise every year as my whole time teaching time continues to decrease. I integrate and embed wherever and whenever I can, but I still find this very frustrating. I can barely fit in 90 minutes of Daily 3/reading groups, an hour of math, writing, phonics, and social studies/science. Forget about Morning Meeting…..which I love and think is necessary in classrooms.

Any advice, I would really appreciate it! :confused::confused::confused:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2014

You have to let go of the idea that you are 'losing time' to ELA and Math intervention kids receiving services. They are getting what they need. Teach the remainder of your class ELA and math content at those times.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 19, 2014

No advice, but I'm feeling the same way. You're not alone.

We zoom from one subject to the next as well. There is no time for extras.

I also was really hopeful about creating a positive classroom community. My hope was to conduct a morning meeting, but that's gone out the food. I do typically give kids about 5 minutes to share news (I have to sneak it in, and wouldn't do it if admin was in the room :(). Perhaps you could sneak in a mini-morning-meeting as well?

Good luck.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 19, 2014

I'm not sure what your RTI model looks like, but can you do Daily 3 during that time? I used to have Daily 5 when my RSP students were being pulled - I would meet with their group (the lowest group) when they were in the room, and while they were out I would meet with other groups. But then, they weren't being pulled at the same time every day, so they did have days when they got to do the rotations.

I get it - it's really tough to work around pullouts. I only have 3 kids getting pulled out for special education services this year, and even that is tough to plan around.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 19, 2014

*gone out the door. :eek:

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2014

Yes, they are getting what they need (and my group needs SOOOO much this year), but I am not allowed to teach new material during my RTI period. While the RTI time is important, it is a huge chunk of time that used to be used for whole class lesson, new concepts etc... It makes it hard, doable, but hard.

8. kk354

kk354 Rookie

Oct 19, 2014

I'm in the same boat - should have mentioned that! I am not allowed to teach anything new during these 2 periods. So even if the students who stay on the room continue to work on on-going assignments, the other students get further behind. I am trying to do some enrichment and challenge the higher level learners but sometimes I have the higher level learners and children with learning disabilities who may get services at different times. :mellow:

9. kk354

kk354 Rookie

Oct 19, 2014

This is what I'm think might work. Daily 5 is such a valuable time of the day and I feel it should be a huge chunk of the morning/day, esp in 2nd grade AND esp with a class of lower level readers. Do you ever have the kids who go out and miss some rounds complain or feel frustrated. My students LOVE Daily 5 and some of the kids are only there for a round or two. They feel frustrated they do not get as much time and also do not have as many options for choice. Do you structure their choices differently?

Thanks for your advice! :)

10. kk354

kk354 Rookie

Oct 19, 2014

Good to know. I feel like I am zooming all day long, from one subject or lesson to the next. With the Common Core, I know we are supposed to "go deeper" rather than "go wider" - so I feel even more frustrated and anxious when I do not have the adequate time for students to do this appropriately and meaningfully.

And yes, I'm with you in that I do try to sneak in Morning Meeting and community building when admin is at meetings. :whistle:

Thank you for your advice! :)

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 19, 2014

When I was in 1st, my kiddos who got pulled out actually were more successful with less rotations than the other kids. They had trouble working independently for long periods of time, and needed more guidance. For them, I felt like it was the best of both worlds because they had the extra help and they also got to dip their toes in the choice and independent activities.

I didn't structure their choices differently, but I can see where that might have been a good idea! I think it depends how many rotations they are missing, though.