What is your procedure for checking HW?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by vivalavida, Jan 11, 2014.

1. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jan 11, 2014

Hello!

I am preparing for my semester of student teaching and am curious about what procedures you all use for checking homework. I wanted to stamp homework and collect it later to grade for completion, but am unsure logistically how this might work, especially since the assignments will be located in various places (notebooks, workbooks, handouts). What is your procedure for checking, collecting and grading daily HW?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 11, 2014

I have all assignments on print-outs that I give to the students each day. Each print-out it numbered G1-Gwhatever. I have them put all assignments into their G-section in their binder. The other sections are things like the syllabus, warm-ups, glossaries, etc.

Each day I have the pages out on a table and they grab one from each pile. We complete most of the work in class. What they don't finish they complete at home. The next day I will tell them to pass up certain G papers depending on the due dates. They pass them to the front of the class room and I check each paper for completeness right there with either a check plus for full complete, a check for half complete, and a check minus for almost nothing done.

After I check it off they recollect their papers and put them into their binders.

On Friday, I have them staple all of that weeks work into a packet Gwhatever to Gwhatever. I have them add up the points themselves (a + is 5 points, a check is 3 points, and a minus is 1 point). They add the total to the front and pass up all packets. I then just enter the score into the gradebook.

Homework isn't worth much and it's just for the benefit of students to learn and practice the material in my class, so I trust them to give me correct scores for the most part. I will check the scores every now and then to see if they did it correctly, but otherwise they are pretty truthful.

I have labs put into lab notebooks which I grade differently (using a small cut out rubric that they glue into their notebooks), and then I just check off which parts of the rubric match and give them a general letter grade.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 11, 2014

Check with your CT to see what he/she does. While you're in the CT's room, don't change too many procedures since it will confuse the kids. Then you can tweak procedures to fit your personality when you're in your own classroom.

Homework grading may be a school policy. Find out what yours is even if your CT gives you free reign.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 11, 2014

^^ this.

Make plans for what you will do in YOUR class. And hope they don't conflict with school policy ;)

But things like this fall under the realm of the CT. You may get free reign after a while but it is always up to him/her.

6. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jan 11, 2014

Thank you for the feedback!

I did check with my CT and she is pretty open to letting me find a method that works for me. I agree that changing a lot will be confusing which is why I am going to keep her Interactive Notebook system. Some of their homework will be written in the notebooks, which are typically collected every 20 pages. Other homework is completed in their workbook packets (1/unit). My CT doesn't have a procedure for checking HW daily and instead she checks it when she collected the notebooks and the workbook packets. I would like to keep the students more accountable for doing HW daily, however. I thought perhaps stamping it would work? I'm not sure how to account for the stamps when grading, though.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 11, 2014

I don't for the most part. It's optional to turn it in. I collect and grade those who want it for credit.

8. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jan 11, 2014

For me, homework is practice work. I check it for completion only, and not for any credit. I use it as a talking point with parents if I need to call home and/or at parent-teacher conferences.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 11, 2014

In that case, it will depend upon the assignment. Sometimes I just go around the classroom while they're doing bellwork and check off in my gradebook that they did it or not. Highlight a check on their pages if you think they might share with a following class.
    Sometimes I have them turn it in and sometimes I don't check at all.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2014

I assign it on Monday, collect it on Friday. If I'm in the mood, I will actually read over it (very rare) . Most times I just give a grade for completion.

Homework is only worth 10% at my school so there is no need for me to spend much effort on grading it.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2014

Mine do all of the homework in a composition notebook. I hand out assignments on half or quarter sheets if needed, and they glue those in. Sometimes I stamp the work--not always. I think it's more effective when they don't know whether I'll stamp it or not. I usually collect the compbooks and grade them while my kids are taking a test.

12. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jan 11, 2014

I give out a sheet at the beginning of each unit that has pages to read and questions to answer for HW for every day of class. I collect it at the beginning of each class. If it's turned in the day it's "due", it's a 100% and 10 pts extra credit on that day's quiz (quizzes every day). If it's turned in late but by test day, it's 80%. If it's turned in any time after that, it's 50%. As long as all questions are answered in complete sentences and it's not obvious faking "The first battle of the Rev War was elephanttown", I don't grade for accuracy.

13. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jan 14, 2014

So I am curious, then...what do you all do for students who are absent? If a student is absent Tuesday and returns Wednesday, I will expect him/her to have the HW due Tuesday already completed, but he/she will have an additional day for the HW that was to be due Weds. Yet, if we go over that HW in class, couldn't the student just copy down the answers to receive the credit? Does it really matter at that point? I realize it is just one HW grade. I am hoping to find a procedure that can keep me consistent and organized.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 14, 2014

My kids were already copying homework. It's one reason I chose not to require it anymore.

Their grades on tests and quizzes stayed the same.

15. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Jan 31, 2014

I choose a marker of a random color, and I put a dot on their music the day it is due for completion and than at the end of the week, the homework is collected and I spot check the work and enter it into the grade book like that, as a weekly compilation.

16. blauren

blauren Rookie

Jan 31, 2014

I collected homework at the beginning of class and graded it. Kids pick up on if you are actually grading the paper or just looking for completion. They then will b/s the homework just to get credit. If homework was turned in late, I'd only award 50% and explained to them how 50% is a lot better than a 0. I'd usually only accept late work 2 days after it was assigned. As far as absences, if you are going over homework that a student missed due to an absence then you can just excuse them from the assignment. Don't factor it into their overall grade. Another option would be to have that student sit in the hall while you go over it.