what is your policy on

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Myname, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Myname

Myname Comrade

Feb 26, 2008

if a parent comes to pick up a child and they have a smell of alcohol on them?
    The parent seems fine but has this smell.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2008

EEK! I don't know. I would ask the principal what the policy for the school is on this.

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 26, 2008

If the parent doesn't seem visibly impaired I would release the child BUT, I would document it.

5. lilabraham

lilabraham Rookie

Feb 26, 2008

If it was a mom there is a perfume from Victoria's Secret that smells like the person had a weekend bender.

So it goes like this. "The director wanted to see you before you leave, let me take your child to the potty and get her freshed up before you go". Director says "Mr. Patron I'm smelling alcohol, is everything okay?" If Mr. P gets huffy it means he's probably impaired. If he gets embarrassed and tells you he's had a couple drinks for lunch have him read a story or sit in the staff room with a coffee. Tell him "You are gonna blow hot you don't want to have the baby in the car too." or "How about you come back for her".
    If the huffy parent insists on leaving with the baby, which in California they can. You call the local dispatch and give them lic # and vehicle description to cover your center if there is an accident.
    You have to be willing to shame a parent into leaving without the child if you are going to notice the smell. If you notice the smell and do nothing in the SUE ME STATE of California you can be held liable if something happens. This goes for lack of car seats too. Whatever you DO NOT DOCUMENT YOUR LACK OF ACTION.

6. Myname

Myname Comrade

Feb 26, 2008

yep been documenting it. This is the 2nd time I have smelled it and the director has too.
    We even smelled it on the dad when he came to a Christmas program for his child.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Feb 26, 2008

Well my kids all take the bus now pretty much. But at my old program our philosophy was we had to release them. If we saw them get in a vehicle we were to call 9-1-1- with a description and license plate number.

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 26, 2008

lilabraham is completely correct for just about all states. You need to have the director address the parent. If the parent takes the child you MUST call 911. As for your documentation, you are just documenting your INACTION if something were to happen to this child. Your facility could be held accountable.:sorry:

9. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Feb 27, 2008

I do believe if your site is at a public school or is Federally funded (such as Head Start) you may be required to contact the police and/or social services. It is considered child endangerment, and yes you can be held liable. It is under the same law (at least in CA) in which if you see a parent strike a child (yes, even a swat on the bottom) you are required by law to report it to DCS. I work 0-3 spe ed & we are required to contact the principal if we suspect alcohol or drug use that may put the child at risk, we are also required by law to make a separate report directly to DCS. I am also required by law to do this if I see any evidence or have a suspicion of substance abuse when I am on a home visit.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 29, 2008

I had a similar problem two or three times last year. The mom smelled of alcohol when she picked up her daughter at 11:00 am. She did not seem impaired in her gait or speech. We just could smell it. She did not drive to school but walked! I spoke with my principal and we just watched for impairment.

11. msaly

msaly Comrade

Feb 29, 2008

We dont have a set policy at the shcool i work at now. But i worked at a center 2 years ago and their policy was to call a cab, and call the other parent, or emergency contact to pick up the child. We were never allowed to release a child to anyone who smelled of alcohol even if they didnt seem impaired.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 1, 2008

Not everyone shows the same signs of impairment and if the parent has done it more than once it is a greater potential that the parent is an alcoholic. Showing up on school grounds having drank during the day close enough to pick up time seems like a red flag. It is not up to you to decide if they are impaired. That's the cop's job. Because I work for a small school I know that it may be something that is easier said than done but that is my take on it.