What is your opinion? Paraprofessional Question

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Giggles1100, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

Ok this is kind of long and I wil try to be quick about what has happened up till now. I teach a life skills classroom in HS with MR and medically fragile students. We got a new para this year and we found out that this girl had been fired by the district last year because of inaapropriate behavior with an 8th grade student. She has always been a SPED aide. We also realized, after she told us that she herself, used to be a SPEd student a very low functioning SPEd student not just resource, she was in a class a step above mine. SOcially she is high, but mentally she cannot do half the stuff we ask her to do. We have a student that must be fed a certain way because of her Rhetts and we were all trained on how to feed her, after 11 weeks of school she has almost endangered her life because of this and has been recertified 3 times on feeding. She has lost one of our students in PE and alot of other things. Somehow she interviewed for this job before she fired and fell thru the cracks in the district which is how she was rehired. I would say cognitively she is a young 13 year old girl. She loves Hannah Montanna but want to be a grown up (She is 31) she lives in this fantasy world with her boyfriend and this great life. We were close to having her fired, I mean she was having meetings once a week with HR and principals because of things she has done in the classroom. She got suspended fro 3 days because of an incident and we all just knew that when she came back they would fire her, but it seems as if Mama stepped in and got her an atty. while she was out and everything has stopped. We still continue to write her up on a weekly basis, sometimes on a daily basis, and she is still called on it, but I think the firing process is going to be tedious since there are atys involved.

Now, Knowing all this, here is my dilemma. We know that she constantly lies about her life, she says she has this boyfriend and has a picture of him on her keychain but we know he is really a locally, MARRIED cop and honestly too far out of her legue. We have caught her in several lies, she has lied about thigns she has gotten in trouble for, like when she lost my student she said I told her to do something and she did it and that was why the student was lost, funny thing was, I was absent that day. So, she has been saying all year she has an after school Job at Godiva Chocolate, well as luck would have it,we, the teachers, discovered about 5 weeks ago, that she does not work at GODIVA and never has. We have not said anything to administrators or anything about it because it has not been an issue to the kids in the class so we just let it rest. Well yesterday during discussion time we were talking about what we did last night and I always ask all the paras and teachers what they did and I asked her and she said she worked, and I said Oh really where? and she promptly replied Godiva CHocolate at XXX Mall. So since we aer studying careers in class right now I asked her to tell us some of her job duties, trying to give her the benefit of a doubt, so the kids could see what jobs they could do and she proceeded to make up stuff that obviously what not a job duty for Godiva. We also trie dto call her on it outside of class by saying we called Godiva to ask a questiona nd they had never heard of her to give her a way to say OhI quit last month or whatever...NOTHING.

My dilema is, now one of my students wants to go look at Godiva to see if he can get a part time job there because of what she said, do I bring this whole lie thing up to the administrators or just let the whole thing drop?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2008

Why would you try to catch her in a lie in front of students? You said the Godiva job- real or imagined- has no impact on her job in school, so what harm does it do for her to imagine working there? Asking her about the job was a 'set up'...and now having the student ask about getting a job at Godiva is a result of that bad choice you made...

I'd tell the student that maybe his parents could take him to look for jobs locally...suggest some places that could conceivably hire him.

Log the behaviors you see in the para that affect the learning environment of the students and the safety of those in her 'care'...do not set her up, that's unprofessional at the least and given that there are attorneys involved already I'd say you're playing with fire by trying to pull the rug out from under her...just log what you experience, don't set things up for her failure. Sounds like she'll wear out her welcome soon enough and your truthful, unbiased reportings of what transpires each day will help in the case against her.

4. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

Yeah, at the time I was not fishing for her to say that she had worked last night, normally our answers are I ate dinner or watched TV. When she said she worked, we asked where she worked, because she had not mentioned Godiva in over a month and so we thought she might have gotten a job in the meantime, we knew she had been looking.
    We let it drop after the whole Job duties and did not say anything else about it after discussion group because of us realizing it was set up. That was wrong on our part,and we realized that yesterday, and we did not say anything to her about it.

But she did continue to talk about it outside of class to our student ( she goes with him 2nd period to help him out in another class)which is why he wants a job there. We are just keeping a record of many of the things she has fibbed on to us, this just affected me this time because, she continued this with a student. It is one thing to lie to us about those things, they do not affect us, but to some of these kids we all hung the moon and have the coolest jobs ever.

I will just keep documenting and then if anything ever happens and the school has to go to court over anything she has done I can be a character witness for/against her.

5. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Nov 7, 2008

I would like to also add when possible try to have another person listen when you give her directions and job duties so there's another person that can verify what you said.

6. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

Wow! Does she have any college education?
    In my district, the aides need to have an AA degree when they get hired.

7. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

She is always given instruction in front of another person and when a discrepancy is found in something she does, it is always verified by at least 2 other people.

As for the College education, no she does not even have the mandated 20 hours by the district because she became a para right out HS, 13 years ago and the district did not have those standards in place then, so because she was here, she was grandfathered into be ing able to remain on.

Please do not think I am bad, or a mean person when I asked her about her job, I get a little frustrated that she is still employed and had it been me, a teacher, who had done these things I would have been fired after the first incident, much less after 3 major ones and several minor ones and I guess that is why all 3 of us teachers in the room needled her a little bit. Even though I am at no fault, I fear that if something serious happens(God Forbid!) to a student I fear I could ultimately loose my certification because I knew she was incompetent. I know HR and my administrators are aware of this and have ample documentation of this, but honestly, who would be the first one they are going to hang out to dry after they deal with her if? That would be me, it is easier and cheaper to replace a teacher and an aide than to replace a principal or an administrator.

I try to keep all her duties at the lowest level possible so as not to get put in that situation, and she still screws up, but at least I feel my b*tt is covered. Watching her, now ,interact with my higher students, it bothers me to know she is lying to them and they are believing every word of it.

Oh well, Thanks for the input guys.

8. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2008

Ugh, except for the innapropriate relationship part, it really sounds like you got my aide from last year.

All you can do is document, document, document. I am so sorry this is happening to you. You also need to make it clear that the child who needs to be properly fed has a life at risk here.

9. stepka

stepka Comrade

Nov 9, 2008

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but would it be possible to have her transferred to another job where she couldn't do as much harm or potential harm? Or, could you set up a meeting with her parents and explain the safety risks that she is causing? (In the nicest way of course.) If her parents were made aware of the potential lawsuits they might back off. So far, they've probably only heard her side of the story and apparently she's not too truthful.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 9, 2008

This para is a real mess & has apparently gotten the lucky breaks, however, whether her Godiva job, cop bf, or any other things she says she does outside of her para job are real or not, those things hv no impact on her job w/ you & shouldn't be used against her.

If I were you, I'd me more concerned how she interacts w/ me & the students at her para job, NOT trying to see how many lies I can catch her in.

Ok, so you & your colleagues all knows she lies & has things wrong w/ her, but she doesn't look like she'll be fired anytime soon, so you'll just have to make the best of it. I wouldn't keep asking about what everyone does on the wknds...who cares. Ask your close friends that on your lunch break if you want to know that badly.

I wouldn't ask anymore about Godiva, her bf, or anything else outside of the job at hand. If she's the chatty type who likes to babble about that stuff, just say hmm & try to change the subj back to her para job duties. Maybe she has no friends outside of work & she feels she has to tell you everything going on in her life. The thing is, she's unaware about approp work behavior. It's too bad you have to work w/ someone like this, but again you hv to mk the best of it.

Maybe if you change how you do things w/ her, she'll chng, but it's no use adding fuel to the fire & continuing on asking her questions to try to catch her in more lies & see if she stutters, etc., etc., etc. Can't you both just do your jobs & go home? Who cares what she does in her off time anyway?

Keep on documenting things though. Hopefully a miracle happens & she'll be out of your hair for good!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2008

I think it's unfortunate that you set her up, even if it was unintentional.

Lying about your after school job isn't a big deal. Endangering a student's health is another issue. As someone else suggested, document!

12. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

I hope you hang in. I DO NOT think you are bad or set her up. I can also see why you worry about the Godiva job and her lies unfortunately all I can offer is- hang in there and document!

13. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 10, 2008

Thanks guys for the words of advice, it has been bugging me, BUT she came in this morning and told us all that she quit her job at Godiva, I guess because we had inquired about it and told us she got a NEW job someplace else, so I just said congrats and asked her to not talk about it at school since it had nothing to do with the job she had been hired to do here, that way she hopefully will not be telling other students about her "job" and we don't accidentally or intentionally say anything to her.