What is Your Opinion on This?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, Jun 14, 2010.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2010

Cute play-on-word-type titles for bulletin boards where things are spelled incorrectly.

I'm totally guilty of it. I've been posting about classroom themes on my blog and added a bunch of pictures from my room. I was just looking through them and noticed all the cute titles and for the 1st time wondered if it's a bad idea.

Things like: I'm Hoppy Your in My Class (with frogs), "Have a "Tee"riffic Summer (with tshirts), etc.

What are your thoughts? Is it a bad idea since little ones are learning to spell? The backwards R in Toys R Us always bugged me for that reason.

I mainly ask because I'm going to set up my classroom for the fall on Thursday and Friday and am using a jungle theme. I have some fun titles planned, but am questioning myself now.

Love to hear your opinions and what you do. Thanks in advance.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 14, 2010

I personally never do it.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2010

I think it's a bad idea.

It's hard enough to teach kids when we're constantly reinforcing the right way to do thing. Throw the wrong way into the mix, and they're going to be incredibly confused.

Some things are meant for the eyes of adults, not kids, because the kids are too young to understand. Stuff like this normally doesn't come to mind, but I think it fits the description. (And was the "your" an intentional misspelling?)

5. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jun 14, 2010

I think maybe if you explain it to the kids in your class that maybe it would make it okay (and it might even help them to better remember the correct spelling of that word a little better).

6. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jun 14, 2010

Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. Kids are going to encounter all kinds of spellings and font in environmental print. I think that if they learn about it first at school that will better enable them to understand it when they see it in the "real world".

7. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2010

As the parent of an ELL student, I hope you don't. It's hard enough trying to get the straight spellings right without being confused by alternate puns in the classroom. Not that it's insurmountable, I just don't think it's the best idea and would cringe a little inside if I saw it in a classroom.

8. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2010

This is a very good point. I had never though about it really. But I have to agree. We are re-evaluating our grammar program based on this whole argument next year. We did away with DOL years ago and now we are going to do Mentor Sentences so that the sentence that the children see ALL week is correct instead of seeing a wrong sentence for 4 out of 5 days. If it's up, even if you explain it, they will learn it wrong.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2010

What do they do with the mentor sentence? Do they just copy it?

I never have liked the incorrectly spelled bulletin boards for primary grades.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2010

I see such things frequently and I never think poorly of the teacher who uses the catchy little phrases. I think they're cute, but the practice can be confusing for especially young learners. I think a wonderful bulletin board, or whatever it may be, can be created without using such phrases.

The thing is, though, that the words aren't actually spelled incorrectly...it's a play on words, as you said. It's as though you're making up a new, silly word. I consider it to be slightly different (and less evil :)) from what DRIVES ME INSANE and that is when words are spelled with the wrong beginning letter to match another word in a phrase, such as "Kapable Kids!". Kills me, I tell you!

11. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 14, 2010

I think yoru phrases are great!!!! I use phrases like that, too. It's a great opportunity for a quick spelling lesson and you can explain that you just wanted to make the BB fun. I've never had a problem with it. It makes your room fun!!!!!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2010

I have no issues with play on words....I have issues with professional educators who think they are spelling things correctly and don't, who misplace apostrophes (in cover letters, no less!) and who misuse 'good' and 'well'.

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2010

Drives me nuts. But sometimes I can't help myself since I like playing with words. I hate to say it, but I don't think they are a good idea.

14. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jun 14, 2010

Here are two that I've used. I guess I've never thought it to be wrong, but I can understand the concern.

GET BUZZY READING! Book jackets and bumble bess with bumble bees reading books border

WE'VE CAUGHT THE READING BUG! Insects, butterfly net, book jackets, various bugs and butterflies