What is your opinion of teachers having tattoos?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by waterfall, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2011

I don't want to get one or anything; personally I don't really like them. Just curious what others think. My friend's sister is working for teach for america this year and she has about 15 of them. She'd pretty much have to wear a nun's habit for them to be completely covered. When she got to the school she was placed in, they were upset about the tattoos and made her cover them the best she can- which for her involved wearing long sleeves (can't even roll them up)/pants and shirts that button at the neck. She thinks it's "old fashioned" to make her cover them. One of my co-op teachers had about 6-7 in student teaching and although many of them weren't huge/overly obnoxious, a few were usually visible. So what do you think about teachers having/showing them?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 6, 2011

I think it's totally fine as long as it's nothing obscene. I don't think I have any coworkers that have lots of tatoos, but one of my coworkers has one on her foot that's clearly visable whenever she wears sandles. Another has one on her calf that you can see if she wears a skirt. Neither have ever been an issue with the kids or administration.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 6, 2011

There are people in our building who have them. Some have smaller ones showing. I honestly do not know the policy on this. I don't have any. I don't want any. I know in many private businesses, tatoos must be covered, so in that respect, I would not see it as an unusual request. In terms of teaching, I guess I don't seem them any different than earings. If they are appropriate, I don't see it as a big deal.

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 6, 2011

In college, they were always told to cover up during any field experience. So a lot of the teachers would put a large band-aid over an ankle tat, etc.

I work with a few who have tats, but I don't think anything has been said. One on my grade level team has shooting stars on her foot that is highly visible b/c she wears flip flops as much as she can.

I respect a school district's right to say cover them up. I don't think excessive tats have a place in a classroom. Cover them up or find a new occupation... my :2cents:

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2011

A few of our teachers have tattoos and it isn't an issue with anyone. I don't have a tattoo, and don't have plans to get one (although, there are a few circumstances under which I may change my mind), but it wouldn't be frowned upon if I did.

7. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

I have a tattoo on my foot that I covered up throughout student teaching, substituting and job hunting, but I now just let it show. It was such a pain in the butt to cover it up (did it with derma blend) and no on really notices it.

It's just flowers so it's not like it's anything offensive.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 6, 2011

I don't mind teachers having tattoos. During my student teaching, one teacher had Celtic symbols all up and down his arms. The kids thought he was cool and loved him. Administration never had a problem with it.

My school requires kids to cover tattoos so teachers are expected to do the same. I plan on getting at least 3 (already have them picked out, just saving up my money-and nerve!) But they will be in places that are easily covered. I honestly think with the new administration that that may change but we'll see. Either way I think the school has every right to ask you to cover them.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 6, 2011

My school requires tattos to be covered. We have 1 teacher who has the world on the inside of her forearm. She has to cover it up whenever she wears short sleeves.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 6, 2011

I don't have a problem with them personally as long as they aren't too excessive. We do need to remember that some cultures find them offensive. We teach in a multi-cultural setting. Just as private businesses ask for them to be covered, I can see schools doing the same thing.

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 6, 2011

I don't have any problem with it as long as they aren't of anything obscene or offensive.

12. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 6, 2011

It probably depends on the community in which you work. If it's a relatively liberal community, there might not be a problem with it, but it's individual. I think it also depends on the art work. Would you really want a guy with a naked woman on his forearm to be teaching your kid's 7th grade algebra class? In a lot of cases it comes down to personal judgement, and some people just dont exercise common sense.

Although I'm a free thinker in many, many areas, I think that teachers should have a relatively conservative appearance. Tattoos, facial piercings, crazy hair-color...I just don't think it's appropriate to show all of that off to students. OR to their parents! Often, they can be as inappropriate as low cut blouses or short skirts in ANY workplace. You're there to teach, not to make a personal statement with your body art.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2011

It's also important to remember that in some cultures tattoos are normal and a critical right of passage. My school has a large Samoan population, and many of my students get their first tattoos when they are 15 or 16--full or partial sleeves or bands around the calf, usually done in the traditional way. These kids and their families are very proud of their tattoos and should have a right to show them off (while wearing appropriate attire, of course) if they want.

Tattoos are looked at differently than they were 40 or even 20 years ago. Many, many people have tattoos, and not because they are rebels or anything like that. For many people having at tattoo is simply a fashion choice like having pierced ears.

Our school district has no policy prohibiting tattoo exposure. Many teachers at my school have tattoos, and some teachers have lots and lots of tattoos, neck tattoos, and/or full sleeves. I think it's silly to tell people to cover them up unless they depict something obscene or not otherwise age-appropriate.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 6, 2011

This. I have one, and many of my coworkers do, as well.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 6, 2011

I hate them, but not more so on teachers. I don't like them on anyone.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 6, 2011

Interesting!

17. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Sep 6, 2011

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a tattoo, but it should not be visible. I think that is very unprofessional.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 6, 2011

In some districts in which I've worked tattoos were a definite no-no and had to be covered. In others, it was a non-issue.

19. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

As said before, I think it depends on the culture of your school and surrounding areas. In California, I've worked with many people who have visible tattoos. My boyfriend works at an elementary school and has neck and knuckle tattoos that he can't cover, although he always wears long sleeves to cover his arms.

Personally, I have a nose piercing, but always change it to a small stud during the school year. I would feel very uncomfortable wearing a nose ring. I think I would feel the same having visible tattoos at work.

20. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2011

Teachers can have them, but for the most part they need to be convered. I know some teachers who have them on the foot or ankle and they are at times visible, but they are small. Any large ones on the arms, legs, or upper body, must be covered. I have one and only one on my upper arm, but it is always covered with sleeves, even short sleeves so it is not an issue.

While I have one, I agree that for the most part they should be covered regardless of what they are. I am okay with the small ones on the feet or ankles being visable though.

21. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

Teachers are professionals. They need to dress and act the part. I don't think that teachers should have tatoos. What would you think if the CEO of a company, a doctor, or the president had a tatoo? I would think that it was tacky.

With that being said, I have seen innumberable teachers with tatoos in the buildings where I sub. I just don't like the look of it. It seems so weird that all of these teachers got jobs with their tatoos. It seems like there are so many opinions out there about not even wearing alot of make-up or jewelry to an interview. I always think how did they pull off a tatoo? I guess maybe they got a tatoo after they got the job. Maybe it was their way of celebrating getting the job?

22. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2011

I would assume they covered them/it up for the interview. I kind of wondered the same thing about my co-op teacher for student teaching- if she just covered them all for the interview, got them later, or the school really just didn't care.

I'm kind of on the fence I guess. On the one hand, something really small would probably be okay, but how can we quantify "really small?" I think it's unprofessional to look covered in them, since as you said I wouldn't expect another professional to look that way. However, my opinion of "not noticeable" might be different than someone else's.

23. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2011

I'm more concerned about my doctors' board certifications, degrees, and reputation than tattoos.

I'm not a fan of tattoos personally, but looking and being professional has many more facets than a shallow dress code or certain standard of how someone "should" look.

24. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

Maybe a tattoo does't make a person tacky or less than someone else? If you're judging someone by a tattoo then that is just sad.

25. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2011

What does my tat have to do with my ability to teach and inspire my students? Just because a person has ink doesn't make them any less a teacher than someone who isn't inked. In my grade level of 7 teachers, 6 have tats.
    I believe that tatoos are becoming more socially accepted and find it a bit dificult to believe that it's still a concern. Maybe it's a regional thing? Are certain areas of the country more opposed to it?

26. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2011

As long as it is not visable or it is on the smaller side in a more subtle place.

27. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2011

So, if I had a large visable tatoo, I wouldn't be able to teach and inspire my students?

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 6, 2011

Wow. Judgy wudgy was a bear. I agree terp, my teaching ability has nothing to do with my tattoos. Nor my ear piercings, or the makeup I wear, or what I do to my hair.

29. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 6, 2011

I personally don't have any tattoos. Frankly, though, I couldn't care less whether or not a teacher has a tattoo. As long as they're a good teacher, that's all that should matter!

I wouldn't want someone judging me because I have a faux hawk.

30. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 6, 2011

When I was student teaching, my master teacher got one on her upper arm. She kept it covered, but one day she didn't have sleeves long enough and the kids saw it. It was a distraction for at least a week. They couldn't stop talking about it. This was a teacher who regularly spoke to her kids about her Harley and had no problem with projecting a rebel-ish image.

No, a tattoo does not have anything to do with your teaching ability. It does, however, make a statement that may or may not be taken in the way you'd like it taken by students, parent, staff and district personnel.

31. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 6, 2011

Explain that when you're in a job interview.

32. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 6, 2011

Wouldn't bother me one bit. How well they do their job, that is what matters to me.

33. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 6, 2011

I have 2 tattoos, several of my coworkers and admins have tattoos.

Very rarely are any of the tattoos exposed.

A LOT of my students have tattoos.

I'm what-ev on this subject.

34. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

So Jen. Is there something wrong with people who have tattoos?

What does having a tattoo mean to you?

35. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2011

Job interviews are just more rigid across the board. The idea is to be as neutral as possible so nothing distracts. Most of us dont wear formal suits etc to work everyday either.

Anything can be a distraction. If I showed up with super short hair one day, the kids would talk about that for a week too probably.

I've had people complain that my Harley gives the wrong impression too; they don't say that to male teachers who ride. I don't much care. The day I show up in full HA regalia or something, then people can complain.

I just find it ridiculous to create sweeping generalizations to pigeon hole people. Lots of people have tattoos these days so just the fact that they exist doesn't really mean a whole lot.

Part of our job as educators is to help our students develop inquiring, open minds. Keeping one ourselves might not be a bad idea.

Overall appearance, demeanor, attitude, and job performance count for a lot more than pink hair or a tattoo.

36. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2011

That is more to the point. I have a tattoo myself, my students have never seen it. Personally I think most tattoos are tacky looking. I got it while I was in college, while I do not regret it, it is not something I show off. It does not changes ones teaching ability, but can have an effect.

37. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2011

My gym teacher had U.S.M.C. tattooed on his arm. I would not want to be the administrator who had to tell him to cover it.

Men have always had tattoos. Funny how schools have only made people start covering them up when women started getting them.

38. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Sep 6, 2011

I understand how the younger crowd views tattoos today and that's fine. They are certainly welcome to their perspective on that issue and I would never try to change that.

That being said, (In order to understand MY perspective) I'm old-fashioned and ever since my younger years, I've been influenced by the belief that tattoos are trashy and a sign of lower class.

What was it that former tennis star Andre Agassi used to say in those "Nikon" camera commercials? "Image is everything?" It may not be everything, but it's
    A LOT.

39. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 7, 2011

I have a tattoo that I've never been asked to cover up, but I chose to make sure it was covered so as not to be a distraction in any way. It's nothing obscene, but you can see it if I wear a sleeveless top. It was never difficult to cover up, but at the particular school I was at, I always felt more comfortable. I never really felt like answering a million questions about it from my 4th graders.

At my new school however, there are several teachers and parents that have tattoos and don't cover, so I can tell that it is more acceptable. The school is more laid back across the board (I can wear jeans every day!), so I probably won't bother trying to cover up-if a little shows, no biggie.

During interviews I made sure to cover it up, but I think that's because with interviews in general, you want to stay neutral (as someone else already stated) and all around dress differently than you would if it was a regular work day.

40. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2011

This.

It's just a look. Glad to see people getting back to enjoying themselves in our industry. We're so regulated as it is.

I'd like to place a big one on my rear end that says Kiss my no child left BEHIND.

41. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 7, 2011

Ha! What a great idea for a tattoo. I want another one or two, but they are designs I've wanted for several years.

As to the previous topic of conversation, my doctor does have two tattoos, and you can see them. They are both tasteful personal symbols that to her symbolize major milestones when she was losing weight. They do not bother me at all, and she is my favorite doctor I've ever had. It absolutely does not impact her ability to be an awesome doctor and an awesome person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.