What is your open house like?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by live, Aug 12, 2013.

1. live

live Companion

Aug 12, 2013

I accepted a 5th grade position today! I've already started planning and I'm very excited. There will be an open house next week (before teachers or students even report). At my previous school, we didn't have this, so I'm not sure what to expect or if I need to plan anything. I probably won't even be able to get my room set up beforehand (though I'll try!).

From what it sounded like on the phone, all I need to do is show up with a smile on my face. But I could definitely be wrong and will need to ask.

I know that all open houses may be a little different, but I'm curious. At your school:
    • What is your open house like?
    • Do parents visit classrooms? And if they do, are teachers' rooms set up and/or do teachers have anything planned for parents?

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2013

We have a fall Open House during which time we speak to the parents (kids don't attend) about our curriculum and classroom policies.

In the spring we have another Open House to showcase our students' work.

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 13, 2013

We meet with the parents and the students at the same time before school starts to review 3rd grade expectations and get to know the family.

I do know my friend who's teaching 5th grade who's planning a few things that might help you--I know, because I helped her a little. :)

A power point about herself (experience) and expectations in the classroom along with exciting units the students will be learning about this year. If you have coworkers to borrow any previous student examples of reports they'd be willing to share, this would be ideal to have on a table for families to see.

A treat--she's thinking of giving each family an apple to thank them for coming; she saw it on Pinterest.

A handout that has the expectations to give to the parents & students as they come.

A table sign up sheet for parents to give their current contact information and best time to call or email.

And a survey question as an ice breaker or something to end the time together, that she'll discuss with the students when they come on the first day of school; I got stumped on this one but she's digging into kid history for it.

Have fun planning!

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 13, 2013

Parents do come to our rooms, but it is basically a meet and greet. It is come and go, so there is no prepared presentation. While it is before school, we are required to have our rooms set up and ready to go.

6. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 13, 2013

Yes that's exactly how it is for us. Some basic info we're required to have available for parents is things like bus no., lunch times and release times but that's it.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 13, 2013

-Our open house is the Wednesday before school starts.
    -Families stop by any time from 4:30-6:00.
    -This is our first time meeting our students.
    -Kids bring their supplies and drop them off.
    -Most families are in and out in about 10 minutes.

8. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

Our open house is Thursday (tomorrow) before school starts on Monday. Our classes are complete and ready with curriculum on display.

Parents come at 6:30, meet in sanctuary, short service/ greeting by principal and pastor. Then they go to classrooms. We have three 20 minute sessions, where we give our message which includes a bit about us personally, our expectations, policies, and anything we want parents to be informed about.