What is your most exciting, engaging, best, fun, wow lesson? (5th grade)

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by marba89, Aug 22, 2013.

1. marba89

marba89 New Member

Aug 22, 2013

My principal has given us a rare opportunity this year. The first week of school we are to teach any lesson we'd like! It can be something we're personally passionate/excited about or really anything! I will be teaching 5th grade language arts and ss this year, but these lessons can be math or science, doesn't matter the subject.

The only requirement is that it must be highly, incredibly engaging, exciting, interesting, etc. It should make the kids super excited about school so they can't wait to come back the next day to see what's coming next.

I'd love to do something that also incorporates collaboration, technology, and/or critical thinking/higher order thinking skills.

So what is the most exciting, engaging, fun lesson you've ever taught, wanted to teach, saw, read about, etc.?

Something that will wow the kids (and the principal).

I will need 5-8 lessons so the more ideas/resources the better!

Thank you!! =)

3. marba89

marba89 New Member

Aug 22, 2013

My principal has given us a rare opportunity this year. The first week of school we are to teach any lesson we'd like! It can be something we're personally passionate/excited about or really anything! I will be teaching 5th grade language arts and ss this year, but these lessons can be math or science, doesn't matter the subject.

The only requirement is that it must be highly, incredibly engaging, exciting, interesting, etc. It should make the kids super excited about school so they can't wait to come back the next day to see what's coming next.

I'd love to do something that also incorporates collaboration, technology, and/or critical thinking/higher order thinking skills.

So what is the most exciting, engaging, fun lesson you've ever taught, wanted to teach, saw, read about, etc.?

Something that will wow the kids (and the principal).

I will need 5-8 lessons so the more ideas/resources the better!

P.S. Context: title 1 low income high minority school in nc
    Thank you!! =)

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2013

I've always liked doing the simulations from Scholastic. They always like the Civil War one the best. The Explorers and Pioneer ones are good, too. I didn't care for the American Revolution or the How a Bill Becomes a Law ones.

I've also done a lesson on scale that was super fun. It is challenging, so they may not be ready yet. I did it late in the year with gifted kids. Anyway, each group gets a famous skyscraper. They have to research it- where it is located, height, year built, etc... They then compare the heights of the skyscrapers with classmates. They(you) pick a scale and they all have to draw the skyscraper on bulletin board paper using the scale. You hang them up down the hallway for a visual and they decorate the poster with their facts.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2013

Welcome to A to Z, marba89. Your two threads are now merged because A to Z forum policy strongly discourages multiple threads by the same member at the same time in different forums, on grounds that spreading the discussion out tends to dilute its quality. (That's the site owner's view, but I think she's right.)

For the record, many A to Z veterans don't search for new threads forum by forum: instead, they use one of the "NEW:" links at the top right of the page, where it says "Welcome, marba89. Either link brings up a list of threads in which there's been activity since the last time the A to Z member logged on.

6. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Aug 23, 2013

Make something explode. That's my P's suggestion for the first week of school. Make sure something goes boom and you'll have the kids hooked for the rest of the year.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2013

You could compare food labels and talk about nutrition. Then have kids bring in healthy snacks and eat them. Involving food is always a good idea.

8. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Aug 29, 2013

I love teaching literacy most of all, but I start out with a lesson on statistics. I posted this lesson elsewhere in the forum, but can't find it, so here it is again:

My first math assignment will be to try to figure out what a "normal" fifth grader is like. The students fill out a survey with questions like favorite color, food, sport as well as optional questions like height, weight, foot size in centimeters and so forth.

They put their answers in envelopes. So I have an envelope for every question. They are then broken up into teams of 2 or 3 students to analyze and present their data and conclusions. Along the way we study how to determine average: mean, median, mode. How to create a graph using a spreadsheet, and how to make narrative comments based on the data.

For groups that finish quickly, I hand them really hard data sets to analyze: height for example. Some of the answers will be in metric and some in standard. They learn that bar graphs are useless since no two students are the same height. We then look at the advantages of certain types of graphs for analyzing data.

Finally we look at all the data presentations to figure out who in the class is average. They learn that no one is. It's ok to be different in our class: the average kid is not average.

9. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Feb 16, 2014

My favorite science lesson to teach is about animal classifications. I had to make a webquest for my district, and this is what I chose. It's so much fun, and the students learn a lot! Basically, after lots of research, they create their own zoo. There's comparing/contrasting, building a budget, and art thrown in there, too.

I also like teaching simple machines by having students make an iMovie project of pictures of simple machines taken all over the school.

For reading, my favorite lesson is on figurative language. I absolutely love teaching similes and metaphors through a youtube video called "Similes and Metaphors in Pop Music" or something close to that. I made a simple recording sheet for students to write down similes and metaphors they heard in the song clips that were played. I also really like a video called "Taking Idioms Seriously." There are some great videos for every type of figurative language.

I, too, recommend the Scholastic simulation books. They are very fun, and students love doing the different activities!