What is your method for keeping up with extra paperwork?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bewlove, Aug 13, 2015.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Aug 13, 2015

Seriously. I need guidance. I have a 12-inch stack of papers to sort through (some are copies I've made, some are semi-useless copies from admin, etc.)

I have had some papers on my desk for 2 DAYS that I was supposed to send home with the kids (on Tuesday afternoon). It is now Thursday. They still didn't get sent home. I will be sending them home tomorrow (trust me....I already have put them on their desks to go home).

They have to be returned on Monday. I seriously feel so irresponsible! I'm not an irresponsible person! They just get stuck in my piles and then I forget about them. I want to fix this terrible habit. What do you do that works? I could stop and pass them out to the kids as soon as I get them, but that interrupts my teaching. I have student mailboxes, but the kids are so bad about checking them, and I'm scared that important papers won't get where they need to go if I just stick them in their mailboxes.

Please help! I want to nip this terrible habit in the bud. Last year I forgot to send copies home with the kids all the time. I'm not proud. :confused:

Other than that, I am always very prompt and punctual with everything. Just not sending papers home (i.e. field trip forms, newsletters from the office, talent show forms....)

3. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Aug 13, 2015

If you have a responsible student or two, put the papers on their desks as soon as you walk back in the room with them. It will be your students' job to hand them out. They will love it, and if it never hits your desk, it is harder to "get lost."

I should add, I try to keep a pen in my mailbox so that if I get something that needs to be filled out, I can do it right away and turn it back in. If it gets to my room, chances are, it will be momentarily forgotten.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  4. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 13, 2015

The bolded is a good idea thanks for that tip!

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 13, 2015

Keep four file folders on your desk for "working papers." Label them:

1) Immediate
    2) End of Day
    3) End of Week
    4) When possible

As soon as you go to your desk, put the paper(s) where it belongs and be firm about taking care of stuff by the required time. You may want to keep a "circular file" near your desk for the useless crap admin passes out.

As far as papers to go home to kiddos, I have kid mailboxes for their weekly Thursday Folder (I throw it in the Thursday Folder area, and I always have a couple eager beavers who will take care of stuffing mailboxes periodically during the week), and for immediate stuff, one of my jobs is Paper Passer. They pass out anything that needs passing.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 13, 2015

Have students check their mailboxes as part of the going home routine. You can have helper of the day who checks to make sure all mailboxes have been emptied, or you can check yourself.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 13, 2015

This is what I did when I was a classroom teacher. If papers came in to be sent home during the day, I had a student put them in everyone's mailbox. At the end of the day, the kids had to take everything in their box home. When we lined up for dismissal I just glanced at the mailboxes to make sure they were all empty, and made sure our line didn't go anywhere until the kids had taken everything.

8. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Aug 14, 2015

I tend to forget things that are out of the ordinary, like telling kids where to buy prom tickets, passing out class trip permission slips, etc. On my whiteboard, I have a section that says, "DON'T FORGET!!!" Anytime something out of my normal routine comes up, I write it down there. I lose sticky notes on my desk, and my piles get unorganized, but I always look at my whiteboard.

If I don't mention it, the kids never fail to ask.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2015

Number your students and collect papers in that order. It will be easy to recall who is missing what, plus entering grades and returning papers will be smooth.

I too keep a pen in my mailbox to fill things out right away.

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 15, 2015

I did this last year and it worked fabulously. I just put a note on the stack that said "hand out please" and put it on their desks.

11. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 16, 2015

Great ideas !

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 16, 2015

Great idea for the different types of piles!

Our schools also have your Thursday folder equivalent through elementary school. It doesn't eliminate all problems with communication, but it certainly does help parents because they know to look for the "Thursday" folder, sign that it was received, and include any response needed in the folder. The folder is stuffed by volunteers when possible in early grades and students form their mailboxes in the classroom in upper grades.