What is your final "Won-Loss" record?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Jun 20, 2011.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jun 20, 2011

...meaning a win is working and a loss is sitting home.

Since this forum has been quiet, I must be one of the few subs who works for a district that is still in session. The last day of school will be June 23, so there are still a possible three days available.
    My main district finished up today with a minimum day, so no surprise they had no jobs.
    Assuming I get no job the last three days, I will have worked 168.5 out a possible 196, for a 168.5-27.5 won-loss record, or just under 86%.

I should have had five more days, but one day I had an appointment that I could not postpone, three other days I merely blew it, and another day the school messed me up. I could have therefore had five more days, but such is the nature of subbing.

Is this a good record nonetheless? Considering I started out in panic mode with a record of 3-14 after the first 17 days, I am satisfied.

3. evergreenmom

evergreenmom Rookie

Jun 20, 2011

Sounds really good to me. I started out slow in September. The days I didn't work after that was b/c I didn't want to. We still have 2 days left and I subbed today.

Lisa

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 21, 2011

oldstudent, I was done about a month earlier than you, ending on 5/25. I don't have the extra time to count up all my "wins" & "losses", but I did work practically the entire school yr (once again). I was only not working regularly from Thanksgiving to Christmas vacation, so about a week or two since most of that time, we were off anyway due to those holidays. All before & after that, I worked through the end.

For the upcoming school yr, starting Aug 8th, I should have a permanent job as a SLPA. It will be so great to no longer have to sub because I've been doing it for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 26, 2011

Wow, very good record... You're like the Sugar Ray Leonard of subbing. How would you classify half days? I did a lot of those... are those draws?

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

I am disappointed I got no work the last four days, but not too surprised. I usually only miss the last day or two.
    I merely include half days as part of the overall percent.
    I talk to some subs who tell me the only days they miss are the ones thay want to miss, so I guess some subs are at 100%, or could be if they chose to be.
    I had an awful beginning and ending, but a nice big middle with a 165-9.5 record.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 2, 2011

I have been really blessed with the amount of days I have worked. Just started subbing dull time on February first, and on average, I had 1 or 2 days off / month, and with very minimal, sometimes 0 half days.
    I was requested a lot, but a lot of times I got the jobs because I would sit in front of the computer from 6-7 pm (that's when they posted the jobs), and even got up at 6 am, in hopes of getting something last minute, and it often worked.

Since school has been out (June 16) I have been working at the Community Court schools, including juvenile detention facilities, and I only have had 1 day off. I love it, because I can work through the summer - and I especially love the detention centers - as soon as I got in there they started requesting me :))

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 2, 2011

This is was my second year subbing and it went much better (as far as days worked) than last year. I subbed 161 days out of 180. I was sick with a fever for two of those days and had appointments on two others. The beginning of the year was the slow time and about the last week of school. Otherwise, I could pretty well work every day that I wanted and sometimes had to turn down more than one job (I sub in five districts). If I sub next year, I am hoping to get at least 170 (I hope it's possible).

9. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Jul 2, 2011

I wish I knew your secret. This was my 14th year, and I have probably barely averaged 80%. My two best years were 179 out of about 195.
    With five districts, I am very surprised you only had 180 possible days.
    My three districts have different starting dates, different ending dates, different spring breaks, and some different single holidays, so I usually have from 190-196 potential work days.
    My first two years subbing, I only worked 103 and 135 days respectively however.

I would be afraid that with five districts, I would be rejecting too many jobs from each district, and would therefore not get many offers from any of them.
    However, if there is no correlation between jobs offered and jobs accepted, then the more the better.