What is your favorite topic of all to teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Jul 5, 2012.

1. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 6, 2012

I wish I could help, but I see you teach 8th grade...I'm on a much lower level- 2nd grade! We do things like collecting data about how many of each color car is in the parking lot or surveying each other to collect data about likes/dislikes and then put the info into a tally chart, transfer it to a table, a picture graph, and a bar graph eventually...

Sorry :(

I googled "data collection and organization for 8th grade" and came up with the following. Don't know it it will be helpful.

http://betterlesson.com/directory/middle_school/data_collection_-_organization_-_display

2. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 6, 2012

Figurative language - light bulbs come on every year!

The Landlady by R. Dahl - the kids freak out. I read it and do a creepy "my dear" and then use it for several days. eg. May I use the rest room? Of course, my dear. Creeps 'em out! They are upset at the ending. Gotten some interesting writing when I ask them to finish the story.

Analogies - another aha! moment

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
    - it is below 8th grade level, but it is a great way to analyze plot, characterization, irony, and theme. I do this unit right before Christmas - they are pretty antsy the last 9 days, so this story fits in well and keeps 'em going. Lighthearted and instructive all at the same time.

3. Alen Jones

Alen Jones Rookie

Jul 6, 2012

I teach Maths to 8th standard. My experience is more good in virtual classroom as compare to traditional one. Sometimes it's get difficult to teach topics in classroom, which you require some diagrammatic explanation. But in Virtual classroom I have so many online tools to use for student interaction and for visual representation too.

4. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 6, 2012

I love teaching students how to use a microscope. Human evolution is fun too. I have a great activity with comparing the skeletons of a chimpanzee, a modern human, and "Lucy."

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

Science: landforms/weathering & erosion, ecosystems are a close second

However, NC took landforms out of my curriculum starting next year :(

It is funny because I HATED science as a student! Yet it is my favorite to teach (followed closely by math).

6. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 7, 2012

It would be fun for the students if you took them outside to observe and count insects. They could record their findings and use the data to group insects by type (species, genus, family, etc would probably be too complicated at that level). The info would make a great bar graph.

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 7, 2012

I love teaching multiplication and division!

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 7, 2012

Context clues, inferences, figurative language, analogies (relationships), etymology, and making connections. (Intro to College Reading)

Basic grammar, writing, and why spelling/grammar mistakes can make an otherwise good essay look embarrassingly silly and the author look stupid. (Intro to College Writing)

Blowing things up, and connecting science to all the other subjects. (Hands-on science for pre-teens

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 8, 2012

Canterbury Tales! My students don't know how to handle when I completely geek out on this reading, but if they give it a chance, they totally get the humor of it.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 8, 2012

Yeah, they put landforms into 4th grade. Any stuff you want to share on landforms?

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 8, 2012

My favorite to teach is double digit by double digit multiplication. I love the look of terror the first time I demonstrate it, and of course, the wonderful "ahah!" moment that comes days later as the students start realizing that they can, indeed, do it. It is amazing.

12. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Jul 8, 2012

I love teaching the human body systems as well as health and nutrition.

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2012

I really enjoyed teaching The Pearl last year. My students are all struggling readers and they found the book accessible AND they were actually hooked on the story! I ended up loving the novel and can't wait to teach it again.

And, I absolutely loved working as a co-teacher in Geometry because my students (who grumbled all through Algebra) enjoyed math - some for the first time in their lives! I'm really looking forward to teaching it again next year.