What is your favorite math series?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by RainStorm, Dec 6, 2010.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 6, 2010

We are a small school looking to adopt a k-8 math series, and wanted to know what series your school uses, and whether or not you like it. Any input would be appreciated.:thanks:

PS I'd also like to know if there is a series that you'd say "don't buy it!"

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 6, 2010

My school uses Saxon Math, which is developmental/incremental. I love it for two reasons. The first being that I don't have to plan-- everything is done for you. Second, the repeated practice really helps my students grasp the concepts. I supplement it with an interactive math notebook, but would not have to according to pacing guide.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2010

And when I used Saxon Math, I hated it. The series didn't focus on anything long enough to mastery and there was too much repeated practice.

We use Everyday Math in our elementary schools. It is nice for the students who need more challenge as well as learning a variety of techniques besides the traditional algorithm. However, it does not focus on math facts enough and does not work towards mastery of many skills.

I did like math trailblazers, but only taught with it for a year. So, I don't remember too much about the series.

We recently switched to Math Connects. It seems like a great series so far...but again, we haven't had it long. It does expect a little more from the students than our last series, so I've noticed some gaps this year. Not sure if these will go away next year when we've had the series longer.

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 6, 2010

Definitely not Math Investigations.... most of our county dislikes it. It never teaches the kids any traditional math. They don't know their facts, algorithms, etc.

6. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Dec 6, 2010

Our school district recently adopted Saxon Math. It has been met with a love/hate relationship from the teachers. I don't teach math, but our math teacher likes how it spirals, but so far this year, she has yet to teach a single grade level indicator. Everything is planned for you with Saxon, which you can either love or hate. We have a very creative math teacher who cannot do a lot of her regular projects because Saxon does not allow time for it. Our primary teachers really pushed for Everyday Math, but it was shot down by other teachers within the district.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2010

NOT Everyday Math.

8. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Dec 6, 2010

I second this statement

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 7, 2010

Ditto!!!!!!!!

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2010

We adopted EnVisions this year, and so far I really like it. We had Saxon, and the primary teachers like it, but higher than that we weren't happy. The spiral review was nice, but it skipped so randomly from topic to topic and never seemed to build on concepts (just more teaching how to do the algorithm--not the why of what they were doing).

11. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 7, 2010

We used Excel for many, many years. I absolutely loved the spiral. We use Houghton Mifflin Mathematics now. I detest it. The way the book is structured there is one lesson per topic and the kids better get it because the next lesson moves on. I have made my own spiral review sheets because they need the repetition to really get a concept.

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2010

We use Math Expressions.
    The teachers either love it or hate it, but our students are thriving on it.

Dislike Everyday math!

13. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Dec 7, 2010

My favorite math series is me! I like planning math activities based on our curriculum. If I need a worksheet for homework or something, I get it off the internet or from a math puzzle book.

Ditto that Math Investigations as a program stinks. It has some good ideas and concepts, but as a whole it's pretty awful.

14. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 7, 2010

Just say NO to Harcourt Math!!! (and reading!)

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2010

I don't teach math now, but I could have written this a couple of years ago when I did. Every so often we would blow the dust off the textbooks and open them up, We are fortunate to have text books as resources, but are in no way tied to them.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 8, 2010

We use EnVisions, and I like:
    The online lessons and videos
    The accompanying Intervention kit and advanced lessons
    I can see my entire book online

I dislike:
    The tremendous amount of graphics
    It doesn't spiral at all
    Not developmentally appropriate (I don't think 3rd's are ready for making change and elapsed time until much later in the text)

17. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 8, 2010

we use scott foresman/ addison wesley.

I really do not like it for Kindgergarten, there are so many lessons that are really useless, and there is little practice and no review.

My daughter's school uses Every day math, It seems good, but not too spicy or exciting. They used to use Excel math, I thought that looked pretty good. I have also used the investigations series, and still play a lot of the games from that series.

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 8, 2010

We use math expressions, and I like it alright. However, we have workbooks that we do every day, and I wish it was a little more hands-on. I supplement a lot.

19. kab164

kab164 Companion

Dec 8, 2010

I am teaching Title 1 at an elementary school this year. Although I have to admit that I find Everyday Math confusing at times and somewhat hard to teach, our math scores are very high. Because of that, I doubt the district will ever change the curriculum.