What is your favorite high school grade to teach and why?

Discussion in 'High School' started by amarie, Jan 13, 2008.

1. amarie

amarie Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

Hi everyone.

I am an English teacher with a preference for ninth graders. I love their wit, their ability to have fun, their reverence for their teacher but also how they begin to accept more responsibility. I have also taught tenth grade and twelfth and find that tenth graders don't want to joke around as much because they are interested in looking cool, and they think they know it all because they have a year under their belt so they aren't as attentive or on. With twelfth I loved the curriculum (British lit) but the attitudes at that age, where they believe they are as much equally an adult as you in experience, and the senioritis were too much for me. As for juniors, I've heard great things but I've never taught them.

What I'm curious about is what grades you like (and potentially stay away from) and why.

Thanks everyone.

3. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jan 13, 2008

My favorites are definitely 11th and 12th grade. The 9th graders are too young and still too immature, while the 10th graders aren't too much better. But the juniors and seniors, I love them. They're intelligent, witty, and can have a good conversation.

And I especially love that week off at the end of the school year when seniors have taken their senior exams and are gone before all the underclassmen.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 13, 2008

I like them all. But my favorite content to teach is AP European History.

5. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

11th grade, American Literature, not much grammar (writing encouraged), no pressure for the state test. Juniors are starting to realize they're close to the end, so they can be mature and relaxed. (but not always) :)

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2008

My favorite grade is 11th. They have grown up a little but still have a ways to go. I alos like to teach seniors in the 1st semester or until "senoritis" sets in because then they are impossible.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2008

9th graders are my favorite too. They still like school because its their social foundation. Once they get their licenses, they would rather be elsewhere. Also, my school doesn't have direct feeder schools - they come from all over, so the kids don't really know each other in 9th grade, so they have to rely on you a little more. Also in my school they have to be accepted back after 9th grade, so a lot of the kids are really careful their first year not to make any waves or do poorly in any classes.

11th grade is my favorite curriculum but the kids really get to me.

8. amarie

amarie Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

Yes, thank you! If it weren't for the second semester I would want to teach 12th again. I had so many attendance issues. One girl missed forty days, came the last two weeks and then four days before graduation asked me how she could get her grade up to pass. I was like, are you serious? Unfortunately, she was, and had to learn a hard life lesson that year.

9. amarie

amarie Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

I am glad to hear you love ninth grade, too. However, after hearing some of the positive experiences you have had with 11th, I am wondering, how do they get to you?

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2008

By 11th grade, they have their licenses and are just starting to experience driving and a social life outside of school. They also think they are as good as Seniors. I have more failures, more attitude problems, more lazy students in 11th grade than any other year. Also, they are done with their state testing at that point, but they don't have to worry about their Senior Challenge Project until 12th grade, so there is really nothing for them to worry about in that grade level.

I will say, though, my Honors English 11 is probably my favorite class, just because those kids are mostly pretty mature and responsible, and I LOVE the curriculum.

11. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

This is my first year teaching, so my preferences might change, but I have 10th and 12th graders and definitely like the 10th graders much more. They are still slightly scared of high school and have some respect for authority (well, as long as it's not their parents) while my seniors just don't want to be there. I actually have some seniors poke their heads in before class and say "oh, you're here...too bad." They just want a free block...

12. LI Teach 99

LI Teach 99 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

I love 11th graders. You can have fun with them, yet they know that at the end of the year they are going to have to take either the APUSH Exam or Regents Exam. I think I love the curriculum most, although I do enjoy being able to crack jokes that I would never imagine saying in 9th/10th grade.

13. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 21, 2008

I teach 11th graders, and I really love the age level. If I had it my way, I'd teach the same grade again next year. :)

Although, I had one class of mixed grades (but about 80% 9th graders) and they were actually a lot of fun. Sometimes they got a little too sillly and you have to pull them back to reality, but I'd do it again no problem.

14. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jan 22, 2008

Because I am the resource teacher for the entire high school, I teach all the grades and work with almost all the subjects. I must say my favorite group of students are also the 11th graders. I like their curriculum the best and they don't have senioritis, which drives me crazy.