What is your drive time to work is 45 mins or 50 mins doable

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Feb 6, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 6, 2017

I currently drive 45 mins to work and My fiance is about to take a job at a chicken factory that is 51 mins away. Do you all think we drive too far for work or

is it doable?

I know a good bit of teachers or people that drive a distance to work. It sucks because I really do not like the driving long distances, and the city where I am employed do not offer any homes or apartments for rent that caters to young working professionals. The only way to move is to buy a house. Everything is income restricted. We once acquired about renting a mobile home for 650 a month and the realtor told us we had to make 4 TIMES THE RENT! Although I am only 24 and a half years old and I am just beginning to learn about rental properties and home ownership , I have never heard of this rule. It has always been 3 times the rent.

We will be moving into a one bedroom apartment that is just 552 a month on friday! We are both so excited for this move! The only con is that the apartment is 45 mins away in the same city we live in now.

In August, I will be starting my teacher certification classes that begins at 6 pm and ends at 9 pm on Monday, Weds, thurs, and friday and every other Tuesday. I leave work at 5 pm and will only have an hour for downtime before the classes start. I then have to sit through a 3 hour class then go home and try to regroup for the next day. Will this work itself out

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 6, 2017

Congrats on the move!

Honestly, I've done the hour-commute and I know people who do it. It's not uncommon.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 6, 2017

This is my second time doing a 45-50 minute commute either way for a teaching job. It's not ideal, and I would be much happier working closer, but I will survive. I just have to pay a little more for gas, and deal with being annoyed at traffic.

5. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Feb 6, 2017

I drive 35-40 minutes to my university and if I get the student teaching placements that I asked for, I'll be driving 35-45 minutes to that every day. It's not ideal, but it's doable.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 6, 2017

I do a 45-50 minute commute as does my dad. It does wear on you, but I love where I work and I love where I live!

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 6, 2017

Audio books.

Get yourself some audio books, and you will feel so literate.

When I had my hour commute, that was how I was able to find the time to tackle the hardcore, super-long classics.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 6, 2017

Exactly the same for me, except my dad is a farmer and lives at his work :). But I do a 45-50 minute commute and I love where I work and I love where I live.

9. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 6, 2017

Wow thanks for the responses. I enjoy living in this area because it has a lot of things to do on my days off.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2017

45 minute commute in the same city? That sounds like a big city! Lots of traffic? Are you driving highway or city streets/congestion? I think a 45 minute drive where you are consistently moving/making progress would be preferable to bumper to bumper traffic.
    Rental agencies and mortgage brokers inquire about your finances so they can be sure you will be able to make the contracted payments (and avoid situations like you are currently finding yourself) it's not 'income retricted', per se, but qualifying that a renter/buyer will actually be able to afford the cost of the rental/purchase.

11. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Feb 7, 2017

My husband used to have a 1 hour commute but now works from home. I've had a 1 hour commute in another direction for a couple of years now, but carpool with a co-worker who lives in my town. We take turns driving. That saves on money.

I live in an area and state where long commutes are normal.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2017

Many people make the long commute and go to school, as well. Your motivation will be the knowledge that this is a temporary situation that will end with both of you becoming more successful career-wise and financially.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 7, 2017

My question would be if the commute is mostly highway or backroads or whatever. You have to take into account bad weather too. I had a 45 minute commute once but it took me about 20 minutes to get to the main road so sometimes it took way longer. I agree with the idea for audiobooks. It will help the time go by faster.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 18, 2017

Ideally, I like driving 20-30 min to work & throughout my life, I've only really driven that far so far, thanks God. 40 min to me, is pushing it.

15. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Feb 19, 2017

Luckily, I love driving! But, I tend to take the streets because people drive too crazily on the highways these days. My commute is usually 30-35 minutes in the mornings. I use streets and backway streets. Though the drive is longer than what would be on the highway, I can deal with that knowing I'm safe as people are driving at a slower pace down on the streets.
    :)

16. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 19, 2017

That's crazy, but I know people that do it, and some have even longer commutes.
    I won't do more than 30 min one way.
    Mt current job is 15-20, my previous jobs were 3-5 min, 5-7 min, and 10-12 min in that order (currently on 4th job)

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 4, 2017

My DH is about 30-40 minutes, depending on the road he takes and variations in time of day.

Mine is only ten minutes, tops. It's usually less. I'm 4 miles from work. I'm not a fan of driving, so I'd not want a commute that was very long. My DH doesn't mind it, although he was only been doing it for a year. Before that he was always within a mile of work.

18. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Mar 4, 2017

I used to commute 30-45 minutes for school and student teaching. I would say that was average for my area.
    I moved for my job and now my commute is less than 10 minutes!

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 4, 2017

When I was in college, my commute was about 40 minutes each way. I got used to it and it worked out just fine.

Ever since I've been in education, though, the longest commute I've ever had was 15 minutes (I had to drive from one side of town to another).

20. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Mar 4, 2017

My commute is pretty much right at an hour each way and it really hasn't bothered me at all. It's mostly highway and low on traffic so I'm sure that helps, but I just crank up some music or put on a podcast (I'm listening to a fictional podcast called "The Bright Sessions" right now and it's SO GOOD). I live in one of the snowiest cities in the country and even with that, my drive is still fine. (But do take weather into consideration.) Going to school at the same time will be harder (I'm in school right now but it's entirely online), but I think it's still doable, especially if you like where you live/work. I'm much happier driving an hour to this job than I was driving 25 minutes to my previous job. So there are a lot of variables, but it's definitely doable!

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  21. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

Mar 17, 2017

Depending on traffic, my commute is 35-40 min.That said, I know a couple teachers who drive 1.5 hrs to school everyday. They each live in a small community and work in a large urban district. Personally, I would drive up to an hour for the right situation.

22. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2017

I did it for a year. You get used to it.

23. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2017

My commute is an hour, but I could shave 10 to 15 minutes off if I didn't avoid the tolls on I-95. With an EZ Pass, the toll is $3 each way, $6 a day and $30 week. I REFUSE to pay $120 a month to MTA, so I just get off of I-95 before the toll and drive across the city.

That being said, accidents are an every day occurrence on I-95 so I always feel like my commute time is never guaranteed.