What is YOUR director like?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sarzacsmom, Jan 26, 2010.

1. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 26, 2010

I just need to say that after reading these and other posts on this forum, I realize how blessed I am to have the director I do and the co-workers I do. My director advocates for her staff, she backs us up (unless we ar blatently wrong), works with us on our shortcomings, encourages us to take workshops and listens when we need to vent. She is at the center on a daily basis and even though we might not like all of the polcies, she always explains why. She passes around a shopping list for us to get items for special projects as long as there is a little money in the budget for it (like I need paper bags for paper bag puppets-- they are like a buck-- I can put that on the list), the center covers the cost of workshops up to our required minimum CEUs each year, we get paid time off based on how long we've been there. We don't get health insurance and because its under the organization of the church we aren't eligibel for unemployment. We are held to high standards and are required to design our own curriculum to meet the goals and objectives of our class, based ont eh learning styles of the children. We ar not dictated to by the director on how to present material. WE have a cleaning person who comes in in the evenings to do the big stuff. We have a supply closet full of arts andcrafts supplies, staionary supplies etc. We have access to photcopiers and even have a floater who spends 1/2 hour a day doing photocopies for us if she's not subbing for someone. this year I got moved to a different room (physical space) and the lights were so bad (humming so loud, flickering, and glaring) that I offered to help pay for diffuser tubes and the director took it to the board and now not only do I have new light fixtures in my classroom, but she has noticed such a difference that they have begun replacing the lights in the rest of our end of the building as well. The director has been there for 16 years. the lead infant room teacher = 15 , Kindergarten = 14, Myself=almost 11, then we have teachers that have been there between 6 months to 6 years. We even have 2 that have been there, left due to moving out of state, moved back and came back to work for us. My director works hard to keep a harmoinius work environment and to nip problem in the bud. Am I happy about everything where I work? NO. I don't like having to give up 5 hours paid vacation time this year and no raise, but by all of us doing so, EVERYONE got to keep their job, even though we lost over 5 grand this year. Kudos to my director!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 26, 2010

I hope that is what my employees will say the same thing about me.

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Mar 11, 2010

That is the best kind of person to work for... and with. I too try to explain everything to staff so they know why I am making certain decisions and to involve them in the process of what is going on. It makes life so much easier!!!

Consider yourself lucky:).

5. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Mar 12, 2010

You are very lucky! The director I came to work for six years ago, has changed. When we went from a three classroom center to a five classroom, and added a gym and lunchroom, it all fell apart. That was just over a year and a half ago. She now is overworked, stress out, and unhappy. Poor hiring decisions were made durning the process of opening a new building that have killed the positive engery we use to have. Because we are union through the school district, the bad eggs are still here. We had to many changes overnight when we moved. The staff was completely stressed, and were told to get over it. Many of us no longer get along. We are walking on eggshells around each other, no one will help out a co-worker in need. The director spends alot of time complaining to employees about other employees, but won't do what needs to be done. Problems don't get resolved between staff, they fester. I miss The positive person she use to be.

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 13, 2010

Nonexistent and out of touch.

I see the director for 10 minutes a week. She is off site. We are quite literally on our own on a day to day basis. If there was a crisis I would have to just randomly call all of her numbers to try and reach her, I honestly do not even know where she is each day.

The nice thing is that nobody is looking over my shoulder and she trusts us implicitly. The bad thing is everything else!

7. msnikki

msnikki Rookie

Mar 13, 2010

Our director is the same as the above couple of replies...then to add on she is 7 months preggo which makes her hormonal and "crazy!!!"
    her mood changes by the hour...she sets rules then changes them...

One of these days i would love to own my own preschool...and working with her has given the chance to see what kind of director I am NOT going to be!

8. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Mar 15, 2010

If I hadn't seen that you are in Arkansas I would say that we work in the same place...lol. :lol:

9. pabef

pabef Comrade

Mar 18, 2010

What would your suggestions be for your director? All of a sudden there is a lot of drama with my staff. They do not get along and I have tried to have meetings with them individually and as a group. No one speaks up. I put a grievance can in my office for them to write things down and it worked great for a while, but now no one uses it. Parents are picking up on the tension. It is enough to make me want to go back and teach and not be director anymore.

10. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Mar 19, 2010

You've done everything my director has also tried, but nothing has worked. In fact you sound like her! :) Those of us who do get along agree that the there is one staff member that needs to be let go. This would cut down on alot of our problems. My directer has a supervisor through the school district, and she has come in for individual and group meetings. That hasn't helped much either. In fact in one of those meetings that I was in, the person who is causing the problems couldn't even say to either of them that she would even TRY to get along with the rest of us! That was early December, and no change!