What is your classroom theme this year?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Deb06, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I will be using a beach theme this year. I am new to 3rd grade, so I hope this isn't too babyish. I have found some really neat things such as decorative palm trees, beach chairs (for classroom library), and bulletin boards. I am very excited! I hope the kids will love it, too.

Any other great ideas for themes? I'm sure I won't keep the same theme all year, so any fun ideas are appreciated.

3. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I'm thinking about using monkeys for K or 1. I have some Curious George cutouts that I'll use for the helpers...We're Curious Who's Helping! Then I'm also thinking for the behavior board writing something like: We Don't Monkey Around. The welcome board is either going to be: Swinging Into Kindergarten/First Grade or Hanging Out in Room --- (I don't have a room number yet). That's about as far as I can think ahead! Any other monkey thoughts?

4. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

i am using a beach theme as well...i work at a pool all summer...so i have been collecting things that get left behind...i am going to call my reading corner "BOOKS BEACH" and i have a huge teddy bear that will wear an old lifeguard bathing suit and have a rescue tube! i am so excited i just want to get in there and get started!! i am looking for becah chairs for my library that are reasonably cheap and i also have tons of beach towels that i will but in a basket for the kids to lay on...i was also thinking of getting some cheap sunglasses to keep in a basket that the kids could wear during independent reading time...

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

My theme is "3G is Out of This World!" with rocket ships and outer space things. My theme won't carry all over the room this year though because I still plan to use my frog job chart because my dad made me really cute lily pads last year for the frogs to "sit" on for their jobs! :)

6. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I was thinking about doing a construction theme this year. Its my fourth year teaching but my first theme.

7. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

I am doing a Shining Stars Theme for 2nd grade...

8. Luv2Teach3rd

Luv2Teach3rd Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

The beach ideas sound really cute! I'm doing a sports theme with baseballs, footballs, soccer balls, and basketballs. "Join Our 3rd Grade Team".

9. Luv2Teach3rd

Luv2Teach3rd Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

leighbball, I like your idea too. :)

10. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I'm doing frogs this year!
    Leap into Learning!
    Hop to the Top in AR (# of points will be on lily pads up to 50 points)
    Hoppin' Helpers
    Large frog in reading corner with "Read It! Read It!" next to his mouth.
    Toad-ally Awesome Classwork

I saw a number line that has lily pads on it and I'm thinking about adding that, too. I have to be careful not to over do it all though. :D

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

Thanks:) I started hanging it up today! I have the background and the border up...now I have to cut out all of the laminated rocket ships!! Ugh...my least favorite thing to do (next to report cards) is cutting out laminated things! :lol:

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

I posted my theme on another thread. It is the same as yours, leighbball. I got space wallies (stick on, peel off stickers for walls) at Dollar Tree, star fabric at Wal Mart, star student border, window clings at Staples.

13. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I'm going with a sports team as well. I already have trophy cutouts so my door is going to have my "All-Stars" on it. I'll put cutouts around of soccer balls, footballs etc. I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for the names of my areas. For example the reading corner- my first thoughts were "Time-Out" or "the penalty box" but decided those were much too negative. Any ideas?

14. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful ideas. :) Very creative themes!

I found out that the beach chairs I planned to purchase are way too small for 3rd grade students. Any beachy seating ideas for a classroom library?

15. Luv2Teach3rd

Luv2Teach3rd Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Ellensmom, how about the locker room or something like that...for your reading corner? Just an idea....

16. Luv2Teach3rd

Luv2Teach3rd Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Deb06, what about those bamboo beach mats? That's all I can think of right now.

17. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Luv2Teach3rd-
    That sounds like a great idea. :) Thanks so much for your suggestion.

18. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Aug 3, 2007

That's a great idea. Thanks. I wish I had some little lockers to store the books in, but there are only shelves.

19. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 3, 2007

i'm not doing a "theme" but i am sticking to a color palette the best i can.

20. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

Those are really cute ideas! I especially like, "Read It! Read It!" :p

21. teach 28

teach 28 New Member

Aug 4, 2007

I put up a big schoolhouse and title my bulletin board,
    BACK TO COOL.
    Each child gets a blank person cutout in tan, light tan, or white (they choose) and the student decorates it to look like themselves. They can cut out eyes, nose and mouth, or draw the face. Then I give them scrap paper to dress it like they want and add shoes. They usually come out adorable!
    I put them in and all around the schoolhouse and they really think they are cool!

22. Luv2Teach3rd

Luv2Teach3rd Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

LuvTchng, do you have the bulletin board border with the frog and Read It! Read It! I do and it's really cute!

23. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I'll be doing monkeys.... Swinging into Room 22. Monkeys hanging on vines from a tree with kid names on it. Teachers names on bananas hanging in the tree (life skills, so there are 12 kids and 6 assistants and myself).

24. sundayn

sundayn Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I did a nature theme with paper trees, clouds, flowers and such. I have put vines around the room. I am going to have each child create a small vine with information about themselves on the leaves. We will connect the vines together to show how we will work together as a team this year. The nature theme ties with our geography/ habitat unit, plants and rocks and minerals.

:) Have fun preparing!

25. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Deb06- i got some of teh bamboo mats as well as just regular old beach towels for the kids to lay on when they are reading...i have about 24 kids in my class so i try to have about that many different options...i also have pillows in my reading center from last year so i can use those as well

26. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

prettyinpink:

Thanks for the ideas! I'm definitely going to use a bamboo mat. Hopefully there will be enough room once everything is in my classroom to add some beach towels, too. :)

27. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 7, 2007

I don't have a theme, but I am going to do some consistent colors this year... lime green and light blue. It will be very cute!

28. Jungle

Jungle Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I am doing a retro theme this year - 3rd Grade Students Are GROOVY! I am going to tie dye curtains for my room and we are also going to tie dye T-shirts on the first day of school.

29. dance20132

dance20132 New Member

Aug 8, 2007

Shining Stars Theme

I am doing a star theme as well this year. Does anybody have any cute ideas for my new theme? I am struggling for some cute bulletin board ideas. Any help?