What is your classroom pet peeve?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by souptunuts, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Oct 2, 2006

For kindergarten and first grade classes -- the teachers often leave lesson plans that say to do a particular activity or use certain materials, but they don't go into much detail about where the materials are or what the activities are. Many of the teachers I've substituted for at that level seem to write with the presumption that I've already had extensive experience teaching at those grade levels.

For example, many of them say to do the "calendar" activity in the morning.

Okay... what is it? I figured out after several times substituting for those grade levels that it's where you count down the days, discuss the last day, current day, and future day, and keep a running tally of ones and tens.

Another annoyance that sticks in my mind are never-ending questions to go to the bathroom or get water. An entire class won't have to go to the bathroom or get water, but when one student stands up to ask to go, other students that didn't need to go suddenly have the urge to do so.

Teaching with the full-time teacher present also makes me nervous. If I'm running the floor, I should be given the room to run the floor; sometimes the teacher or some other staff member or volunteer will correct me in front of the classroom. Most of them have done so in a very subtle way, but a few have said it out loud. When they insist on correcting me, I feel like I'm being pushed out of the way. Then someone wonders why others were running the classroom when I was supposed to be the teacher running the floor. Fortunately, this problem is such a rarity.

2. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Oct 2, 2006

yep and those kids will sure tell you if you are "doing it wrong".

I usually just tell them from the get go "you will notice that calendar will be a little different today but its OKAY, right? I mean if I don't do it exactly like Ms. Normal Teacher,... will we still have recess?
    'yesssss'
    will we still have lunch?
    'yesssss'
    and we will still get through our day?
    'yesssss'
    Yes of course. So it is Okay if its a little different!! Let's remember that! Okay, raise your hand if... "

3. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Oct 2, 2006

We had a parent ask this... refering to the week for statewide standardized testing!

4. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Oct 3, 2006

How about smelly kids? I can't stand it when parents send their kid to school all smelly! It's your job to make sure they get in the shower every now and then!

Same goes for bad breath. UGH I can't stand having to hold my breath when helping a student.:eek:

The worst part is it isn't usually the kid's fault-their parents just didn't take the time to teach their kid about hygiene.

5. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Oct 3, 2006

aprilgurlie, I feel you! I've already had to find a couple male teachers/TAs to ask boys, "Have your parents talked to you about deoderant?" Gotta love middle school! I'm just hoping I never have to ask a girl to get some "support"!

6. teachall

teachall Rookie

Oct 3, 2006

He/she is looking at me.
    He/she hit me.(when actually the student who is telling stops while the line is moving down the hall.)
    All of the staff pet-peeves from grammy teacher
    is it time to go home? (right after lunch)
    are we going to P.E.? ( We go every day don't we?)
    Adults who do not follow directions.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2006

Kids who start asking me the minute I walk into the room in the morning, "Are we going outside todaaaaayy????????? Now I tell them "NO" if you keep asking me. I swear that's ALL they think about!!!!!!!!!

8. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Oct 4, 2006

Yes, it seems like all they ask about every day is if we have PE or if we're going outside that day. Then once we're outside I hear, "When are we going in?" AAHH!!

9. WVsub

WVsub Rookie

Oct 4, 2006

Parents who hang around the classroom after the morning bell has rung as if they don't trust a sub in the room with their child.

Constant tattling.

Student interupting to tell me that's not the way Mrs. So and So does it. Had one first grader last year who constantly did that all day long.

Classrooms where the students ask all day long to go out to the restroom. No one has to pee that often. It was amazing how a sign out sheet cured that problem....no lecture, just signing the bathroom sheet.

Neighboring teachers who think they have to fill you in on who are the trouble makers in the classroom you're subbing in that day. I don't want to know, don't tell me. If I don't know I may not have problems with those students, but if I do know, I'm expecting it and looking for it and of course there will be problems with those students.

Toni

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 4, 2006

We have ALL kids go to the bathroom before laying down for nap, and again 2 hours later, after nap. What I hate is the kids who lay on their cots and refuse to go to sleep, then ask me if they can go to the bathroom. You just WENT. and if I let YOU go, everyone else who's sitll away is going to want to go. SHEESH!!!

11. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Oct 4, 2006

kids who cannot tie
    My mom forgot to put my reading book into my backpack
    do we have gym today
    where do I put my paper
    do we have to wear coats

12. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Oct 4, 2006

-parents that won't leave even though their child has said bye and moved on
    -kids who can't open milk cartons (after multiple examples & help)
    -lazy kids (I seem to have a lot this year)
    -kids who interrupt & have to have the last word
    -negative staff who complain about EVERYTHING!
    -where are we going? (when I have just told them, we have a picture schedule, & our schedule is the same everyday)

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 5, 2006

Staff who tattle about everything especially when they don't really know the story. (not necessarily me but in general). People should when the time warrants it and for the best interest of the child, but coworker wars are unnecessary.

14. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Oct 5, 2006

Seriously? Why are those folks teaching to begin with?

True and some will do it even if you say not to do it, but now-a-days parents tend to do the selling for their kids at work, at church, and at friend's houses. My mom did it for me and many of my mom's co-workers do it for their children as well. IMHO, today's fundraisers really don't put a whole lot of children into harm's way with the dealings of strangers like they used to when my gradfather was growing up.

15. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Oct 5, 2006

"S/He took my _______!" I've gotten this at every grade, from 6th through seniors. Half the time the item is on the floor in front of them!

"I lost my planner." "My planner is in my locker." "My planner is...(anywhere but here)." Yes, the planner I have to sign to let you out of the room isn't here. Then guess what... I can't let you go get it because I can't sign it to let you go! (Today's vocab word when this happens is "Catch-22")

16. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

Oct 5, 2006

"Isn't this (whatever I drew/wrote/made) ugly?"
    Of course not, it's beautiful.
    "nu uh, its so yichy"
    But look at all those colors - so creative!
    "Nuh uh - it's so ugly, isn't it? yes it is. yes it is."

That would be my pet peeve. innabilty to accept a compliment!!

17. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Oct 5, 2006

When the kids raise their hands to ask questions BEFORE I am even done going over the directions. Just listen and then maybe you will know what to do!!!
    Tattletales
    Taking a bathroom break with the whole class.

18. keeley73

keeley73 Rookie

Oct 5, 2006

Is this for a grade?
    My response is why? are you going to do better if it is?

no name papers

parents that sign a planner when the child didn't write the homework down. Why are you signing a blank planner?

Book clubs where the only books my children have ordered are Official Pokemon, how to draw spongebob, and hot cars poster book.

no sharpened pencils in the morning

tardies

early check outs

things left in bookbags when they have been put up for the day

students desks crammed full of stuff (though I do not lead by example!!)

telling me the next day that they didn't get the homework paper the night before

trying to show their neighbor how much they have written during a writing test

just copying what the first person says aloud in answer to a question - even if they are wrong

holding their spelling or math paper and asking what subject it is

Do we have PE today? I don't know could the schedule that has been in the same place all year tell you

the ability to know if their is a small pen mark on the teacher's face, but can't see where their paper is when it is on their desk.

the glazed look

having three kids waiting to talk to you, and a child walks up to you, in front of everyone else, as if they are the only one in the room

19. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Oct 5, 2006

I hate this!!! I usually tell them, "you should always assume everything is for a grade."

Not everything is graded in my classroom, but they should assume it will be.

20. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 5, 2006

Kids who DON'T get the big, obvious hints that are directed at them unless you explicitly say their name...

"I'm waiting for my friends to show me they are ready to go outside. My friends who are ready have all their garbage on their plate and have their hands in their lap." "I'm ready." "Show me" "How?" HELLO!!!!?!?!?! I JUST told you what you need to do. Heaven forbid I not call your name explicitly!!!!

Kids who insist on smashing their cups into smithereens or dumping their plates of food to show they're finished (earlier in the week, my "little friend" decided to hide the spaghetti under the carpet.), then don't understand why they're not getting called to do the next activity.

Oh, and kids who can answer "do we _____" correctly, then proceed to do whatever it was they just told you they weren't supposed to do. Hey, kid, you KNOW the rule, you TOLD me the rule... OBEY the rule. Sheesh!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  21. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Oct 6, 2006

I don't know if I said this in my earlier posts, but I hate this, too. I just can't stand it when you're trying to tell them exactly what to do and all they seem to do is want to interrupt and say, "What do we do on...?" or "How do we do...?" If you would listen, we're trying to tell you EXACTLY what to do!

22. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

Or the ability to comment that I wore the same outfit the last time I was in their class!