What is your classroom management plan?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Apr 12, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2014

I was asked this in an interview today and I really wasn't sure how to answer. I KNOW what my plan is, but didn't know how to explain it in a few simple sentences. How would you answer? I know that I should have been more prepared, this is not an unusual question. But for some reason I couldn't quite do it. I don't think they'll call me back. Boo.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 12, 2014

The best classroom management is good teaching and keeping the kiddos engaged. From there, I implement a lot of the Wong's strategies, in terms of establishing routines and procedures. I tend to use bits from the Marvin Marshall system and the Responsive Classroom model for the actual behavior management aspect of things.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 12, 2014

I can't explain mine in a few short sentences either. It's typed out in like 8 or 10 pages. I can explain my consequence ladder but classroom management is much larger than that. I usually just bring a copy of the typed out version and hand it to them, explaining that my most major form of classroom management is building relationships with students and having them know clearly the expectations of my classroom.

5. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2014

You guys make me feel much better. I went to a job fair and it was an on the spot interview. I had to wait four hours for it, but thought, hey, this is why I am here. So I wasn't as prepared as I might have been, plus quite tired due to being one of the last four interviewed. Out of maybe 30? Don't know, but I wanted to hang in there. Peregrin5, I mentioned all of those things. I also didn't seem to really get the question, because I don't really have that much problem with discipline problems. So, not sure if I actually got that message accross or not. The interviewers seemed pretty wiped out as well. It was an interesting experience. Thanks for your responses.

6. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Apr 13, 2014

Expect to hear that question a lot on interviews so you should really have a response ready. There's really only a handful of questions that they will always ask so it's relatively easy to be prepared.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 13, 2014

Your experience seems similar to mine at the last job fair I was at. They're definitely not my favorite places to search for a job.

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2014

My short answer to that was always "Create a system of safety and respect where students feel comfortable taking risks and failing."

Now my answer is "I love my kids."

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 14, 2014

That's pretty much my system, Rockguykev... It works for me, but unfortunately it comes across as incredibly flakey in an interview.

I try to give specific examples of how I manage behaviour... particularly trying to be proactive. From my experience in elementary, one size does not fit all.

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2014

It seems like a pretty standard question, I agree. That's why it threw me off that it threw me off. I know what it is, but to explain it, well, I couldn't put it into words. That surprised me. Seems like a pretty grand question, put in that manner. So, I will prepare for it in the future. I really wasn't even planning on an interview that day, and by the time we got to my turn, I'd been waiting for 4 1/2 hours. My mind had turned to mush. So, we'll see.

Joeschmoe, how would you have answered the question?

11. Mr. Radiohead

Mr. Radiohead Rookie

Apr 18, 2014

"My first priority in running a smooth classroom is having a genuine relationship with my students. Really building a solid rapport and having them know that I truly care about them. The second priority is always being prepared. Having the schedule up on the board and my lesson materials ready for the day. When I am prepared I can keep a good tempo to the day with minimal down time.

I implement routines for our daily tasks. Routines for getting a sharpened pencil, using the restroom, lining up, passing papers in or out, turning in assignments, packing up for home, etc. This is fine tuned and practiced throughout the year.

I have 5 basic rules that are posted for the students to follow. I give a warning for the first offense. Followed by loss of recess on the second. The third is a notice home requiring parent signature. Rules and consequences are gone over throughout the year for understanding.

I follow basic principles of "The Dream Classroom" written by Michael Linsin. I also subscribe to his weekly emails for classroom management tips. I have found his methods to be successful in my teaching experience."

I would spout off something like that. :thumb: I think they want hear about some kind of plan, general philosophy, etc. I can't say I would put it together this well on the spot, but I would try.

12. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Apr 18, 2014

I agree with teaching procedures and keeping students engaged to lessen behavior issues. When those type if issues do come up, our schools uses the Love and Logic model.

13. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Apr 19, 2014

i think they are looking for something like the above and want to see how you would react to when the kids throw you an odd ball and don't do what you expect them to do.

14. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Apr 19, 2014

I think i responded with something like:

"The first step to classroom management is engaging lesson plans. However, no matter how engaging you try to make your lesson plans there will be kids that are off task. I would first try and give them nonverbal clues like looking at them, tapping the desk, etc. Most students will get back on task if they know you are paying attention and have noticed their behavior. However, sometimes some students will not pick up on the nonverbal cues and I will speak quietly with them or if its a group have a class discussion of classroom expectations.

If that still does not work, I would pull the parents into the conversation and follow through with various discipline strategies such as seat changes, mandatory tutoring (during 5th quarter or after school), etc. I would also speak with their other teachers and guidance counselor to gain strategies that have work for that student in the past.

If it still continues I would write an office referral.

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2014

Thank you. All of these responses are helpful. I didn't get a position with this school district after all. But have another interview soon so your posts are a big help.

16. Nate

Nate Companion

Apr 21, 2014

A lot of good responses here, and you're going to want to tailor them to reflect the way you actually feel. A good template is, [fundamental belief on preventing problem behavior] followed by [method of dealing with problem behavior when it occurs]. For me, my answer is, "Meaningful, engaging lessons and a safe learning space are my first steps in preventing behavior problems, but when problems occur I generally use a Love and Logic approach".

It helps to give a "name brand" method, like Love and Logic, since you can say a lot with a few words.

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2014

What other name brands are there? I also use smartclassroommangement philosophy. I also use the Salzburg clipboard method with steps. I also send a letter home or make a phone call if the behavior doesn't stop.

I just thought it was a pretty immense and vague question, but guess I need to be ready to answer it in the future. Thanks.

18. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Apr 21, 2014

personally I don't like using "brand names" because it doesn't really reflect what I believe and the way I teach. it makes me feel kind of fake to throw them out there. plus if your interviewer doesn't know what you are referring to you will still have to elaborate anyways.

However, I've seen people who speak in such a manner naturally and they can pull it off.

19. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2014

I get what you are saying about, "speaking naturally" about systems, using pedagogy in a organic way, but that's not me. Our district is very casual. It would be odd and a stand out if someone spoke this way, but I feel that in an interview, the admin expects a teacher to speak this way in order to sound professional. So I am working on this now, for my upcoming interview. Any ideas on how to pull this off in an interview? I want to sound professional, but not phony.

20. Nate

Nate Companion

Apr 23, 2014

Yeah, I'd only use the brand name if I really meant it. When I was interviewing (10-15) years ago, Love and Logic was a buzzword but was also something I was completely on board with. I'm not sure how the options have changed in that time, other than autism-specific classroom management systems, as that's been my field for the last 5 years or so.