What is your classroom all about?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pashtun, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 24, 2016

How would you answer the following question?

What is your classroom all about or what would you want your classroom to be known for, or what would you want your classroom to be the best at?

Backroads and MrsC like this.
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2016

I love this questions, Pashtun!

My classroom is all about creating a safe environment for all of my students, a place where it is okay (and often fun) to take risks and learn. We aren't afraid to go outside of the box; we laugh loudly and often; we have been known to be silly at times.

I try to instill in my students the fact that their actions reflect their character, and my grade 7 students are often recognized as being the most respectful of the grade 7 and 8 classes. This is such a high compliment for me--if they aren't good people, it doesn't really matter what kind of students they are.

4. Sassy98

Sassy98 Rookie

Apr 24, 2016

My classroom is bright and cheery. You can't help but smile when you walk in, look around then head for the area of excitement that attracts you. It could be the Science lab corner, the reading corner or the math table. I want my students to enjoy being where they are and think they are exploring which will lead to their learning.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 24, 2016

I want my classroom to be all about the excitement and fun in exploring science and learning how to be scientists. It's my belief that everyone is a scientist, no matter what we decide to do in life, and being a good scientist lends itself to doing very well in nearly every other job in the world, and in experiencing the world more vibrantly and with a curious and questioning mind. Students in my classroom learn that the concepts they learn in my class apply to nearly everything else in the world, whether it be the scientific concepts of the physical world, or the scientific practices of evaluating information, supporting their arguments with good evidence, and being a creative thinker, even in areas of math and science, which people don't normally think of as creative. My classroom is also about learning respect and responsibility, which, while they may not come out of my class masters at these two things, they will have progressed a long way in both, which will both serve them in high school and beyond.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 25, 2016

Taking responsibility for one's self. One of my class rules is "Take care of yourself." So much of our classroom attitude and community is about doing what one needs to do, being an example and leader to others, and doing one's best. We don't blame others for our choices, we worry about how to help ourselves before helping others. Of course, we help each other when needed, but I teach them that most of the time we can't get worked up over what someone else is doing until we have ourselves in line.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2016

Experience is my answer to all of those questions.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 25, 2016

Experience or experiences?

Do you mean your classroom is all about experiences(for the students)?

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2016

All forms of the word.

Yes, it is about experiences. It is also about experiencing. I want them active participants, not passive learners. I want them to leave with the experience of having succeeded in a challenging course of study with which they had zero interest or prior knowledge.

I know for me all my memorable classes and teachers provided those things.

10. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 26, 2016

Awesome, ty Rockguy, just wanted to clarify that it was student experiences versus teacher experience.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 26, 2016

My classroom is all about guiding students thrugh mastery (meaning understanding to the point of being able to utilize independently of me) all of the standards they are expected to learn. I love Shakespeare, but my class doesn't teach it, exactly. It uses Shakespeare as well as Ovid and even Baz Lurhmann as tools to teach deep understanding of how a story from one writer or media may transform and grow when drawn upon by others (CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.9-10.9)

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 26, 2016

Oh, and it's also about showing each and every student that he or she is worth the time it takes to gain that mastery.

Pashtun likes this.
  13. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 26, 2016

I would agree to experience...and yes to both of your questions.

Experience and not being afraid to experience....that means, it's okay to make a mistake and fail--for the students and the teacher.

14. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 2, 2016

I want my classroom to be:
    * a safe-haven because so many of our kids come from challenging backgrounds
    * a place where mistakes are expected and respected
    * a place to experiment and play with words and thoughts and the best ways to communicate them.
    * a place that is comfortable in all aspects - physically and intellectually