What is your cap.?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by trayums, Sep 6, 2008.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2008

First grade is currently over cap. Our classes are not supposed to be any higher than 20 students. We currently each have 22. What is your cap and what does your district do about it if you are over? Ugh-it's going to be quite a year!

3. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

24, and that's how many I have. Too many for first grade in my opinion. Washington is one of the worst (48th best out of 50 states :0) in class size. I know there will be others with more first graders. I've had 27. I don't know how you all do it!

4. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

Oh, for the second part of your question, when I had 27 students, I got an assistant for 2 hours a week. Didn't really make up for all the work for the extra 3 students.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2008

WOW!!! 24!!! And... OMG 27!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay- I guess I won't be complaining... oof.

6. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Sep 6, 2008

We cap at 20 in K-2, and don't move above that, period. I think it's a fine number. :)

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2008

2 hours... :( :dizzy:

8. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

I try not to complain too much because I know others have it worse, but sometimes it's hard. I feel like I can't meet all their needs as much as I could when I've had less students.

When I had 22 last year, I felt like I could do SOOOO much more. I don't mean that in a way like, "you have 22 feel lucky." I mean that it is all relative. 22 seemed like a little amount after 27. 24 seems huge after 22.

Again, Washington is terrible in this reguard.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 6, 2008

I'm never going to complain about our cap (which is low.) 27 seems huge amount of kids! Do you all have an aid?

10. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

Nope. :0(

I will have some ELL support this year (40 minutes a day) but that's because I have 9 ELL students (4 languages).

This year, I'm being VERY PROACTIVE about getting parents in to volunteer. I already have two mornings a week with a parent coming in for literacy help, and 1 afternoon a week with a grandparent coming in for help.

I also recruited parents to help me out with stuff at home (publishing writing, cutting, pasting, etc....).

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2008

26 in both classes supposed to be our cap. I have 23 now, and I hope I don't have to see if they would get a new class. My coworker has 21 or 22 now.

12. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Sep 6, 2008

Wish we had a cap!!!
    I have 28 right now....and won't be a bit surprised to get more throughout the year!

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2008

I'm in K, but our cap is the same as our first grades - 30. Our first grades currently have 28 or 29 students. I have 25 in K. WAY TOO MANY. I had 21 last year and loved it.

14. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2008

We don't have a cap!:(

15. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Sep 6, 2008

28!!! YIKES!! I'm so sorry :( Our cap is 18-21 (don't know why it's not just 18 or 21) and I'm at 21 now. When we go over, I don't think anything happens, but we shall see - I taught kindergarten last year and our funding came from a totally separate grant, so our cap was 25 and I never got over 24.

16. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Sep 6, 2008

Our cap is 30 and I work at a Catholic school so once we hit that number they just tell new families that the class is full and they can go on a waiting list. If we get 30 + 5 (I imagine 5 on a waiting list) we can split into 2 classes (there's only one class at each grade). Legally the only classes that can get an aide due to numbers are PreK and Kindergarten, and K needs 20 or more to require an aide. The rest is up to the principal's discretion (and money within the diocese to pay an aide).

Last year I had 26, with just me, and they were a difficult bunch. This year I've got 25, still just me, but they are a lovely bunch (so far - it's only been 3 days) so hopefully it will be better. :p

The idea of 28 makes me want to cry! :dizzy:

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2008

Ours is 24 and we will open a new section if all sections are at 24 and we get a new student....the new section can and has opened after school starts!
    I still think that 24 is wayyyy too many, 18 would be nice, but I know that is unrealistic, so I would be very happy with a cap of 20!

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 6, 2008

19. MissR

MissR Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

Ours is 26, so I had 27 for the first few weeks of school until we got our new teacher. thank goodness for her! now I have 21, which is wonderful compared. Generally our classes in 1st grade are between 22 and 24.

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 7, 2008

25 is the cap for our 1st grade classes. Most are at 22 or 23. Now us 2nd grade teachers are biting our nails. The cap is still 25, but most of us have 25. I think we may have 3 spots open in the grade before we're over.
    For those of you that remember, my school is comprised of 1st & 2nd grade only. Each grade level has 13 clasrooms.

21. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Sep 7, 2008

Our government will pay for 1 teacher/45 students. In most of our govt/public schools, parents still pay school fee's so that the school can bring the size of the classes down. Most schools have about 24 - 30/class in Kinder - Grade 7 and about 35 in high school (Grade 8 - 12) So, in most govt/public schools, where parents cannot afford to pay additional school fee's the classes are huge. I know of one local school in a decent area where the parents do pay additional fee's where the Kinder class had 35 with one teacher and no asst. they eventually split the class mid-year when 2 more children started attending the school, but the govt would not pay for an additional teacher so it comes out of school money that is raised through fund raising activities and fee's. Crazy hey? Our govt will also not pay for teacher assistants and in the school I am now, there are 13 remedial classes (grade 1 - 7) that are totally self-supporting and their class avg is 12 - 14 students/class but those parents pay more school fee's than mainstream students as it is run as a private unit within the school.

22. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Sep 7, 2008

45?!? Wow SarahJ! The numbers we have seem pretty small in comparison.

23. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Sep 7, 2008

I would say that 90% of rural schools have more than 45/class. I know of a good school nearby that has a minimum of 30/class with one teacher in Kindergarten and the numbers just go up as the grades go up. Its hard work. When I see the pics of teachers classrooms over in the USA I think they all look amazing! The class I'm in at the moment has 24 children which is regarded as a very good size in a public school. Our country is loosing teachers daily to overseas positions and other careers because we don't have a very supportive govt. I must say though....they are trying....a little. I still don't earn enough to live on...my monthly salary doesnt even cover half my rent so I work as a nanny after school till 6pm (and I'm at school by 7 each day) But I'm enjoying it :)

24. Kristybarr26

Kristybarr26 Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

Wow, 27 first graders, I can't even imagine! Our cap is 22 but all five classes have been sitting at about 23-25 a piece. Our entire elementary campus is above cap. There were third grade classes sitting at 28 in one class. Our principal sent a note home last week asking for volunteers to tranfer to another campus which has lower numbers. I'm down to 22 now!

25. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Sep 7, 2008

I'm from Texas also, so our cap is 22 also. However, with waivers being given out so freely the cap is basically useless!

SarahJ, thanks for your insight - I'm at 22 for the first time ever and I've been overwhelmed with trying to meet all their needs, but I guess I'll stop feeling sorry for myself now!

26. Kristybarr26

Kristybarr26 Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

Wow, somehow I missed 45 first graders in a class! I feel silly now complaining about being at 24-25. :dizzy:

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 7, 2008

I don't think I could do 45. I was a student in a class of 60 with 2 teachers and that was too much for me.

28. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 7, 2008

Every year we have visitors from Japan come look at our school. They are in this special program at their school in Japan that comes to the US and sees how schools work here. They amazingly have 45-50 kids in a kindergarten class! When I asked (through an interpreter) how they manage 45 kids, the teacher just said they "want to be good and do what we say." It's totally a cultural thing! The children are expected to behave and listen and it doesn't seem they have the behavior issues we have. They also have a very regimented curriculum so there isn't a lot of time for the kids to get out of hand!

They were very surprised at our school for instance watching kids do reader's theatre. They wanted to know how the teacher could get the children to do that. It was difficult for them to understand that this was a fun activity for the children and that they wanted to do it! On one hand, they wanted their students to do activities like that, but culturally they said it would be unlikely that any one small group of children would want to stand up in front of the others.

29. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Sep 11, 2008

Our cap is 28 and I have 27 at the moment:eek:hmy:

30. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

I love my school and my job, but the problem with some private schools is no realistic cap. I started the year with 33, and I'm very happy to be down to 29. I don't know what I'd do without my full-time aide.

31. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

I am from Texas also.
    Our district has gotten waivers and we in the K-2 grade levels were informed that we could and would have 24 per classroom. Caps are utterly useless in Texas.

32. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 14, 2008

If I had 20 kids in my 33 different classes that would be amazing! My four K classes are currently 29, 29, 26 26.one of the elementary buildings in my district right now has 39 Ks. All 4 of my 4ths are at or above 30. Everyone else hovers around 23-25, a few being smaller.