What is your behavior management plan?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by teacherbell, Jun 12, 2006.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jun 12, 2006

I use the pull a card system. I also use caught you being good slips and a marble jar. I have been thinking about using check marks on a clip board instead of pulling cards. I would love to hear what plan other teachers use and the consequences and rewards that go along with it. Thank you!!

3. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jun 13, 2006

I used the card-pulling system last year and hated it. The kids didn't like it either. I'm thinking of trying 1-2-3 Magic. I had a workshop on that and I've read quite a bit online. My next step is to buy the book. I know it can work well with card pulls, but I think I'll use something else to keep track--my pocket chart got ripped from the kids pulling cards.

This coming year, I suspect we won't be able to take away recess. So, my consequences will probably be time-out, alternative recess, note/call home, silent lunch, or office referral (not necessarily in that order).

I have a treasure chest for good behavior. I add names to the board when I catch kids being extraordinarily good. This way the kids aren't embarrassed and they love having their name displayed to everyone who walks in! It is listed under "Caught Being Good" so all visitors in the room know why their name is on the board. At the end of the day, those students can visit the treasure chest. We also have a school-wide rewards program with tickets that are given out frequently.

Just my .02!

4. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Jun 13, 2006

Last year with 1st graders, I used a stoplight and clips. The clips began on the black "pole" under the light. Clip to green-warning. Clip to yellow-5 minutes on the wall at recess. Clip to red-10 minutes and a slip home to be signed about the behavior.

With this I also had a behavior calender in each of their folders. If they remained on black or green then they would get a little sticker on their calender for that day. After they received 5 stickers they would get to go to the 'goodie' box.

I also had a marble jar for classroom behavior. Once this jar was full then we had a movie/popcorn party. (I aimed it toward once a quarter) I never removed marbles, only added. I would also use the marble adding time to practice skip counting as I put marbles in.

Now I am going to be changing schools and teaching 3rd grade. I would like to go ahead and keep the clips and marble jar. I won't keep the calender...but modify it to a chart in class and use the same concept. I am sure it will still work for 3rd graders.

I am also going to use the "caught you being good." I have coins that I will distribute and they can use these to "buy" things at a classroom store (one per quarter). I haven't quite figured out how to manage that...I might tally them each week collect the coins and just keep a running total.

This seems like a lot, but it really isn't. The school I teach in doesn't have a lot of behavior issues.

The key, I believe to any plan is being consistent. And to have your students well rehearsed in procedure and routines.

I hope this helps. I love hearing about other teachers plans.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  5. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jun 13, 2006

Something I'm going to try this year is "good guy" activities. When kids are good (ie. on task, helpful, show improvement in attitude or work), I will reinforce this by giving them a invitation to a special event ("good guy" activities), like an after school movie and popcorn, ice cream trip, etc. I'm printing up formal invitations on my computer so it'll be really special. This will take a lot of planning, but doing a fun activity once a month shouldn't be too bad.

For really bad offenses or constant negative behavior, I call parents without warning and ask for them to come to school for a meeting. I had to do it three times at the beginning, and once the word got around that I called meetings, that was it. The students knew I meant business, and negative behaviors subsided.

Also, my team and I would do neighborhood patrols. This may be a little extreme and depends on the kind of neighborhoods your students come from, but we drove around slowly, said hello to students playing in the streets, and made a few convenient home visits (positive and negative) all in one trip. I found a student walking along that hadn't done homework for me in months. So we stopped at his house, talked to mom about his grades, and I had a five paragraph essay by 8 o'clock the next morning from this student. We don't do this often, but again, we got a reputation so certain behaviors and habits subsided. Plus, we mixed positive and negative so it didn't become a bad sign when students saw us drive down the street.

That being said, my day to day behavior management plan is to keep students busy and engaged so there's no time for messing around!

6. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jun 13, 2006

Thank you all for sharing your plans! I really enjoy getting some fresh ideas!

7. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jun 26, 2006

I use the first three and have used others to accomedate individual students. Just be careful about the check marks becuase other studnets may try to add or erase check marks. i like the visual card system because they can see and know what he consequence is for each step

8. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

Would anyone else mind sharing their plans? Thank you!!

9. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

I Love, Love, LOVE the caught being good plan! If I get hired and teach primary grades, I will use the traffic light system. I used it last year while student teaching and loved it. My friend did her student teaching in 5th grade and they used the 'name on the board with check marks' system. I always felt a bit strange about this - but couldn't come up with another system. I think the traffic light system is too 'young' for upper elementary.

I am going to use the 'caught being good' technique. Love it.

Chenelle

10. Indy Vet

Indy Vet New Member

Jul 16, 2006

I use a "funny money" system in my classroom. Students are paid every day they attend school and receive money for good deeds (staying on task, being helpful, completing work on time, neat work, etc.). They also are "fined" for misbehavior, etc. Students must pay rent at the end of the six weeks grading period. After rent is paid, top money students (4 or so) are in charge of planning an incentive party. Students then "buy their way" to different levels at the party...full ride, miss one activity, miss two activities, etc. I've used this with different grade levels and vary the amounts according to their abilities. Students must also keep their own bank card (file card showing days of deposits/fines, etc.). I keep one on each student as well. My students LOVE this and talk about it for years!

11. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Jul 28, 2006

Hello Colleagues,

I have PECS (Picture Exchange Communication Symbols) photocopied on their daily behavior logs so the parents can understand what the pictures represent. Most of the pictures are subjects and activities that we perform in the classroom. I will give them a stamp if they show good behavior and task completion. At the end of the day, each stamp earns $1 in bonus bucks. The behavior log is sent to the parents and it has to be returned signed so that I can photocopy it for their portfolio. At the end of the week (Friday), they can go to the classroom store and purchase bigger items (things bought at Smilemakers). I usually allow $5 for very small items, $20 for small items, $40 for medium sized items, and $75 for slightly bigger items, and $100 for items that cost me a bit at the store. They can earn up to $55 weekly a mininum and earn more for extra-responsible behavior. They earn $5 for returning completed homework and that usually ends up with $15 extra + $55 for a total of $70 weekly. I like this system and it works for the students who want to earn something. I teach in a special day classroom as an autism support teacher in a local middle school.

Troy in Downey, CA
    AspieTeacher

12. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 30, 2006

I went to a workshop this summer about dealing with difficult students (yes, I've got a lulu of a class coming up!!). His answer to behavior plans was to make sure that whatever you use, each consequence has to be markedly worse than the one before it. He also stressed the importance of heading off problems with a lot of nonverbal signals. I have high hopes, but don't know if my principal will back me on the list of consequences he provided.
    1.) NONVERBAL attempts to keep student attaining desired behavior.
    2.) Verbal warning
    3.) Process them/Fill out some sort of action plan in another teacher's room with a 15 min. time limit
    4) Lunch detention
    5) After school detention
    6) Friday school (he said 3 hours...don't think I can manage that!)
    7)referral to principal
    What I would like to know is how often do you wipe the slate clean for the kids? Once a week?

13. Celenia

Celenia Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

14. annielbh

annielbh New Member

Jul 30, 2006

Behavior Management Idea

I teach first grade and what I use in my room is called "Serving Up Good Behavior" I have a bulletin board that I use. Each child has a french fry box with his/her name on it and I use the little craft clothes pens (these are better then the big ones). When a child does something that calls for a french fry to be pulled they go and take a clip off. At the end of the day whoever still has their 5 F.F left gets a little treat. I've taught school for 29 years and so far this is the best idea that I have come up with. The little ones do not like to pull a french fries for any reason. Hope this helped someone. I got the idea out of Big & Bright Bulletin Boards by Carson-Dellosa

15. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

Love & Logic

I started using Jim Fay's Love & Logic this past school year (my 8th year of teaching, and the neediest and toughest group of 1st and 2nd graders I've ever had.) The first month was a little rough. I really had to adjust to my new management style. Now I'll never go back to my old techniques! Love & Logic is definitely the best teaching philosophy I've ever found. It really works! I only wish I'd known about it during my first seven years of teaching.

~ Jaicie :)

16. annielbh

annielbh New Member

Jul 31, 2006

I
    I never heard of this does it have a web=site? Thanks

17. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

You could do a search for "Love and Logic Institute" and/or "Jim Fay" and the website will come up.

There's also a message board for teachers and parents at a separate site:

loveandlogicforum.com

This site was started by an elementary teacher who wanted to share her interest in Love and Logic with others. Many teachers have provided classroom examples on the forum, including me. :) These two websites will give you a good idea of what Love and Logic is all about.

By the way ... I bought the book Teaching With Love and Logic last summer after it was recommended to me on this AtoZteacherstuff site! I highly recommend the book! You could buy it used on ebay or Amazon or buy it from the Love and Logic Institute website. I also bought some of the cassette tapes (also available on CD) and found them really helpful, especially regarding students with ADHD and other special needs.

Please feel free to send me a private message anytime with any questions about L & L!

~ Jaicie :)