What Is Your Back to School Theme

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by C2Teach, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

Awesome, my son goes to school at OSU and I'm an OSU alum. I love Stillwater :D!
    Are you doing anything special for the centennial? Maybe we could help each other out with ideas. Let me know.

2. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I'm leaning towards a Zoo theme for the beginning of the year since the first unit in reading covers animals. I thought about decorating the outside of my door as a zoo entrance with drawings of caged animals next to the door. I have some stuffed animals I could use. Any other ideas would be great since I'm still thinking this out.

3. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Survive, Survive, Survive :D

No-I don't have a theme yet (of course, I also don't have a door :eek: so there's no need to decorate one!)

4. andi137

andi137 Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I am with ya Nicole!! I am just going to try to survive. This is my first year teaching and I got the job 1 week ago and school starts next week. I dont have a lot of stuff to decorate so I am just do my best and maybe into the year I do some themes and decorate more. I love all the ideas that have been given though!

5. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I'm thinking about smiley faces. Something like..."We're all smiles about 4th grade". Does it sound corny? Anyway, I can't think of anything for the centennial. I did get a poster set of Ok statehood and I will display that on a bulletin board. Did you have any ideas? Someone did mention Route 66, I thought that was a good idea.
    You could make a road all around the door and have the kids names on cars traveling on the road. "Cruisin to 4th grade".

Go Pokes!

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

hmm... the principal at my new school is a minimalist. so we don't decorate in the hallways and because of fire codes our rooms can only be 50% covered or something like that. so i'm not going to do a theme this year (it's also my first year and i'm trying to get my masters and have a baby at the same time) so anyways, i'll have a welcome bulletin board with everyone's names on it but other than that, my room will just be organized, cheerful, and inviting.

7. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I am going to do a jungle theme. There is cute monkey stuff out there now (I forget who makes it but its at all the teacherstores) and I'm going to do We're bananas about 1st grade!

8. tvgemini

tvgemini New Member

Jul 17, 2007

GREAT!!!

I LIKE IT!!

9. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I Agree! Keep the same theme as long as you like it!

10. patty153

patty153 New Member

Jul 17, 2007

You're a Shining Star for prek

I plan on having a bulletin board with the Star bulletin board pieces.
    I'll take a picture of each of my students and mount their picture on a star.
    We will also trace stars and do a very simplified unit on space the third week of school.
    I'll also put glow stars on the class ceiling.
    The students will make star cookies (I'll bring in a toaster oven to bake the cookies). The students will ice their cookies for snack.
    One year I helped my daughter(now in high school) do a report on the different stars, i.e. red, yellow, and blue stars. We made star cookies for her second grade class. She presented her report and then the class was able to eat a star cookie.

11. mathteach

mathteach Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I'm going to do a teamwork theme. At the beginning of the year, I will welcome students to the team with a "Welcome to the Team" bulletin board. I will also have a board that stays up throughout the year titled "Teamwork Works" and put weekly inspirational sayings with a sports slant to them such as Give it your best shot with someone shooting a basketball. The class will be separated into teams with their own mascots they create during the first week of school. The walls will also be decorated with pennants that each student will decorate during the first week of school using felt and other provided materials. A picture of referee will be posted next to the classroom rules and each rule will be posted on a a yellow flag like those thrown in football.

12. graceful37

graceful37 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Any ideas?

Any ideas for a sunflower theme saying?

13. tvgemini

tvgemini New Member

Jul 18, 2007

SUNFLOWER

Something about planting the seeds.. or blooming... ?

14. missdq

missdq Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

i usually have a star theme, "Reach for the Stars" with name tags, book marks and even the star of the week.

but this year i have an all boy class so im thinking of maybe a baseball theme b/c i know they love sports. I already bought baseball cut outs as well as mits. And i can do MVP of the week. Does any one have a good idea for a slogan? or any other cute ideas that might mesh with the theme. I was thinking of doing something like, "Catch of the Day" for maybe a do now or brain teaser type thing. Im still thinking and id appreciate all the help u guys have to offer.

15. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

Any cute ideas for a bear theme? Maybe a bear/bee combo theme?
    I just need a cute phrase for outside my door. I have tons for inside the classroom. Thanks you!!!

16. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

Oh how I wish I worked with you creative teachers!!! I swear, at my school I don't see much creativity...only the newest of teachers really do any cute themes or bulletin boards. It really sort of saps the creativity out of me :( Last year was my first year at this particular school, so I played it safe and did what my teammates did (not much of anything)...but this year, I am going to do my own thing! I am thinking of a sea life theme (because I love dolphins), or maybe something sporty since many 4th graders are into sports. We will see!

17. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

The year before last in 1st grade I used Bulldogs because that's the school mascot and I hadn't taught 1st before and had my hands full. Last year I looped up to 2nd with my kids and did a "Magic TreeHouse" theme. I created trees on the walls with bulletin board paper to look like Frog Creek Woods from the books. I used a wooden sign outside the room (I had a window next to the door) that said "Welcome to our treehouse." I used clothesline hanging between the trees (actually stapled to the wall) to display student stories and work. Our reading area was set up like the inside of a treehouse. We read Magic TreeHouse books as read to books throughout the year. We also kept a timeline that conicided with the events from the books and created other things that we read about (M medallions, wooden books during our study of China, etc.). I used it for most of the year, but had to take part of the trees down when the Fire Marshall came in during February.
    This year I'm moving to 3rd (not with the same kids) and will go with the simpler (sp) T-shirt theme ideas that I found on here.

18. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Oh, I almost forgot Halloween. Our school didn't do regular scary stuff, the themes had to be based on literature. So, my next door teacher and I worked together to create an Alice in Wonderland theme. The kids made life-size card guards, my door was done to look like a looking glass, my neighbors door looked like a rabbit hole. We had trees with red and white roses, a Cheshire cat and quotes from the books. I dressed like the Queen of Hearts and my friend was the White Rabbit. It was such fun! :)

19. Karen Hall

Karen Hall New Member

Jul 18, 2007

Oh yes! Go to Party City or somewhere else that sells party supplies. They'll have a good selection and will help you get your ideas going. Decorate with black, white, and red. Popcorn boxes, clapper boards, director chairs, movie reels, tickets etc. "Pop into ....." Lights, Camera, Action!, "Reel" good books That's the ticket etc. Also, Oriental trading has some cool stuff. It makes a great room. Currently I'm 5th grade Rocks - Rock and roll theme with guitars, records, microphones, jukeboxes etc. but my second favorite them is the movie theme.

20. kgardner

kgardner Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Cindy,
    This is my first year teaching and I am doing a dog theme. Primarily with dalmations. I am making the door look like the entrance to a dog house and writing "Look who's been spotted in 1st grade!" Then their names will be on the wall beside the door on black spots.

Good luck!

21. upstatenytchr

upstatenytchr Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Cindy,

Maybe something that starts out with "No bones about it...________ grade is the place to be."

22. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 18, 2007

I was going to do a dog theme with the welcome bulletin board be a dog glyph. I was then going to put the students' names on bones and cover them up for other students to guess which dog belongs to which student. The problem is, I can't think up a title. Any help, please?!

23. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

How about "Paws" itively Awesome Class?

24. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I just had an idea. I am thinking of doing "It's a small world". Would that work? I think it would work with the curriculum of first grade but will I drive myself nuts singing the song everyday?!

25. teachinginAL

teachinginAL New Member

Jul 18, 2007

I am a new 1st grade teacher and I am doing a Jungle theme. just wanted some ideas on a "jungle" saying?

I was thinking "Roar into 1st grade..." but I feel there's something better I could use.

26. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I'm going to do a team theme, but I want a better slogan that "Team 5th Grade" or "We're a Team". I'm going to make them all shirts with their last names on the backs with their class number that they use for lots in our room. Those'll hang on the wall around the room and then they'll get theirs after a few weeks.

27. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 19, 2007

I was just thinking about a team theme earlier. I think I may go with team 212(room number) I'm with SnowDaisy822, any other ideas?

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2007

Okay, these are some themes we could use more suggestions for:

Owls
    Math center titles
    Sunflower saying
    Baseball slogan
    Bears or bears/bees
    It's a Small World
    Jungle saying
    Team saying

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2007

For owls, since they are hard to find for back-to-school, search printables for fall. They always seem to include owls there.

Sunflower saying could be Reach for the Sun or Heads Up.

30. ilovemyjob27

ilovemyjob27 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Someone may have already told you about this idea because I didn't read the entire thread. Really good stuff has this cute bulletin board set with hot air balloons that says "We're Soarin into____Grade" I thought it would go perfect with your theme. I am doing a monkey/tropical theme. I have a big monkey holding a sign that says "We're a great bunch" I have a banana to put each ones picture on. I am really excited.

31. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Does anyone have an idea for smiley faces theme?

32. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

"We're all smiles in ____ grade"

Smile! You're in ______ grade!

Smile! You're in Miss _______'s Class!

33. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

Okay, I went with a Western theme. Goes well the OK's centennial. Went to Mardel's 20% off sale and bought tons (please don't tell my husband). The sale is today only and includes all teaching materials. Yeah!
    Since I'm doing the postcard exchange this year, I found some border that has license plates from every state on it. I thought that would go well around the map of the USA. I am still going to have my students make their own license plate to display.

34. Alyssa29

Alyssa29 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

I want to do a race car theme. Does anyone have any ideas?

35. kgardner

kgardner Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

"Revving up for ______ grade!"

"Start your engines! We're getting ready to learn!"

"Racing towards success!"

"On your mark, get set, READ!"

Those are just some quotes I just thought of after reading your post. Hope it helps. I'll let you know if I think of anything else!

You could somehome incorporate a racing flag (the black and white checkered one)...IE waving it to get their attention, or changing stations, etc.

36. BevAnn

BevAnn Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

37. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I don't know yet if I have 3rd or 5th grade so my theme will depend on that-sort of. I am liking the travel idea, since I have a large collection of postcards from different places, and I am signed up for a postcard exchange. If I have 3rd grade I have a train BB with the theme "All Aboard for Learning". I think that is a little young for 5th grade, so I need some suggestions. Any ideas?

38. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2007

I am doing a monkey/jungle theme also. Did you buy that or make it? It's a great idea!!:)

39. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I've done a football BB with the saying/reminder: "Are you a TEAM player?" THat might be a good reminder later on in the year.

40. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 19, 2007

For the Owl theme, I bought owl accents one year from the teacher store (Carson-Dellosa product I think) and had a bulletin board at the beginning of the year that said, "Whoooo's In 3rd Grade?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.