What Is Your Back to School Theme

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by C2Teach, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

My theme is happy faces on the wall outside out the classroom I am going to hang All About Me psoters that the students make with a picture of them smiling and above it will say Look who is smiling in
    2nd grade.

2. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 11, 2007

"Shining Stars of ___ grade"

3. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jul 11, 2007

One teacher I observed had a clothesline with a job on each t-shirt. Each student had their name on a clothespin that clipped onto a t-shirt. I thought it was a really cute idea!

4. RobyBrow

RobyBrow Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

;) Just make sure you use Christmas lights !!! (For your Star Theme!)

5. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 11, 2007

caution: students hard at work!!

use the yellow tape, hard hats etc.

6. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 11, 2007

Hat's off to...
    kicking off to a great start (shoes)
    You're never fully dressed with out a smile! (Annie!)
    Are you doing nutrition at all? how about something with salad "dress"ing.
    If you have corner or activity where children can choose something you can say "Choose what suits you"
    We don't slack off in room....

I know some of these are corny and farfetched, but I couldn't resist at least writing them :) My favorite is the Annie one .

7. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 11, 2007

Any titles for a ladybug theme?

8. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I was also thinking of Ok. centennial and working a theme around that. Have you decided on a theme for your room?

9. Mr. Chandler

Mr. Chandler Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

I'm not sure

I am a first-year teacher so I wasn't certain what to use. I thought perhaps maybe a star theme or something of that nature. It's a start, anyway....

10. Mr. Chandler

Mr. Chandler Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

You know, "we're reaching for the stars", etc. (Kinda cheesy lol but it's a start)

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

As I mentioned before... I am using Jasztalville, the "city", for the second year in a row. I am too attached to ever give up that theme.

Oh. Upsadaisy- Maybe use "Hit the Road, Jack!" as the official title. :sorry: ;) We both know we're kidding.

12. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

TX TEacher,
    What was your theme last year? OK. is celebrating their 100 year centennial this year and I was thinking about that. We also learn about our state history this year.

13. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Has anyone used Owls for a theme before? That's what my teaching partner and I are going to do. There aren't a lot of owl decorations out there, so we're having to be creative ... but I can almost guarantee you there will be in two years! (I did pirates three years ago and couldn't find a thing and resorted to making my own booty bags and treasure maps. Now there are all kinds of cool pirate things.)

We do an overnight book program and we wanted a way to display the amount of time each table (they'll become an owl team) reads. We are going to put a large oak tree cut out in the hallway and then each owl teach (8) will accumulate reading minutes toward a mother owl, then a father owl, then a nest. Once they have a nest, they'll accumulate a week's worth of minutes for eggs (so many minutes per egg). Then the fledgling will grow (more minutes) until it is eventually flying above the tree and the process starts over with the eggs.

If a team member doesn't read, the group must draw a Catastrophe card. Eggs could be stolen by a predator, a fledgling could be injured and require extra minutes to mend, etc. We have a 95% participation on our overnight reading and we are hoping this will help those 1 or 2 kids who don't always read. I think it will also help to motivate them to read extra each night. We require thirty minutes. Each flying owl will represent 25 hours.

We're hoping that each table will choose a different type of owl and we'll use their type for the display: barn, snowy, elf, etc. I've found some patterns to use, but if anyone has any sources for such we would appreciate it.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We teach a multi-age room for 1st through 4th grade. We do have a welcome owl for the doorway and I've located quite a bit of owl fabric for curtains. Our bulletin boards will be used for Mountain Language so we'll probably just use fabric for a background.

14. Thom'n'Sarahmom

Thom'n'Sarahmom Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

How about --

We're Dog-on proud to be in this class....

15. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 12, 2007

Last year I did a fish theme which I think I am going to do again this year.

Some of my bulletin boards were:

Fresh Ideas Start Here (F.I.S.H.)
    The Think Tank
    Fishers of Men (I teach in Catholic School)
    Fishing for Compliments (or ...Great Grades)
    Think Outside the Bowl

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

I've done "A Tee-riffic Class" and "Leaping into a New Year" before. I can't decide what I want to do this year. I want to have a few to choose from and then soon I will just alternate:)

17. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 12, 2007

I use "It's a Whole new CROP of kids," and have the kids' names on apples. Since I teach first and second (loop), I get a whole new "crop" every 2 years.

18. keelay6

keelay6 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

what store has the supplies in?? I like the beach idea for a theme. This is my first year teaching can you help me with ideas on how to set up my classroom?

19. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 12, 2007

I do a bulletin in the hallway that is entitled...

All Aboard! Next Stop Second Grade!

I have an ellison die cut of a train engine and I label different colored engines with the child's name. I found railroad crossing symbols on line which I printed out and laminated to add to the board.

I also send out a tri-fold brochure (or train schedule) with a train motif to each student before school starts. It lists...
    date of departure (first day of school)
    time of arrival (time school starts)
    destination (my name and classroom number
    time of departure (time school ends)
    dining car (lunch time)
    Pack you bag with... (includes school supplies I'd like them to have)

I found pictures of train stations, train engines, train symbols that I add throughout the brochure.

I don't carry this train theme any further than the beginning of school.

20. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

Where are you in Oklahoma:D ?
    I also wanted to use the centennial as part of my theme. I was kinda leaning towards a Rt. 66 idea with landmarks seen in OK with postcards and such. The postcards went well because I am involved in a postcard exchange and I will be having my students research OK symbols and design postcards to send to various schools across the nation. I'm still looking for a cute theme title.

21. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

Howdy fellow Okie:D ! Where are you from?
    I am also looking for some great ideas to tie in the centennial. Maybe we can bounce ideas off each other.

22. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I'm doing - Ms._____'s Second Grade Treasures with a treasure chest full of die cut jewels, each with a child's name. I am having a lot of fun with my ocean theme!!

23. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I love to use Shoes as my beginning theme because all the kids come in with their new shoes. We do all sorts of things such as comparing, sorting, making graphs, etc. with shoes. There are an amazing number of kids' books too that have to do with shoes.

24. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2007

Thanks for all the ideas, folks.

I love the shoes idea -- I always associate new shoes with the new school year; it's so exciting to go out in them for the first time, especially since I didn't wear out my shoes so fast and therefore usually didn't get new shoes any other time.

25. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Greetings,

Last year I did a music theme. I had "This week's composers" for the daily jobs. The writing center was the composition center with "note" paper. One of my bulletin boards was covered in piano key fabric and all of the student's names were on notes, the title was "We are all in Tune" I later converted that into a "In the right Key" and placed exemplary work there. Lastly on the door, I had a Juke Box cut out with student names on CD's with a title Room 211's Rockin' 5th graders. It was fun to think of all the ideas you could incorporate.

Thanks for all the other suggestions. I haven't decided what to do for this year yet, but I have tons of great ideas now.

26. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 13, 2007

I'm sticking with what I do best: stars. Fourth Grade Super Stars. Or Fourth Grade Shining Stars.

27. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

Jen, I'm doing a beach/ocean theme this year. Do you have any photos to share or ideas? I found ocean bulletin board paper and laminated it. It's about 6' tall and I'm putting it in my reading center. I was going to try to find a man in a boat with the saying "Get hooked on reading" or "fishing for a good book". I'd love to hear some of the ideas you used.
    Thanks.

28. Mrs. Porter

Mrs. Porter Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

Any ideas for a movie theme? I'm looking for catchy phrases for b.
    boards and helpers. Anything to make the class look like Hollywood? Has anyone seen this or done it before

29. ballstateteach

ballstateteach New Member

Jul 14, 2007

I'm doing "Growing Into Second Grade." My students are making 3D flowers to go on a mural. You use strips of paper and glue the ends together for petals that are glued to circles. You do the same for the leaves and glued them on the stems. Then I'll take my students' pictures and put their pictures in the center of the flowers.

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2007

A co-worker of mine did a movie theme outside her classroom last year and it was really cute. It said "Starring Miss ______'s Fabulous First Graders!" She had a directors thingy (I don't know what the black and white things are called) with her name on it and each kid had a gold star with their name on it. It was really cute!

31. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 14, 2007

I am torn between a jungle/safari or monkey or Chicka Chicka Boom Boom theme-I might have to combine them together some how-not quite sure yet.

32. BevAnn

BevAnn Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I'm quickly finding out that the Hollywood theme is going to be a popular one this year. I found lots of great items at the party supply stores including wall decorations, star cutouts, popcorn tubs for storage, and even a "red carpet" that I'll use for Open House. Another great find was on the web- Hollywood Mega Store.
    I purchased an "Oscar/Academy Award" for our Star of the Week. I also got a director's chair for our Author's Chair.
    Some of the cute sayings that I've come up with are:
    "Award Winning Work" for student work board
    "Lights, Camera, Read!" for reading area
    Job Chart uses occupation titles: Director, Assistant Director, Agent, Craft Services, Producer, Exec. Producer, Props, etc.
    Take 1, 2, 3 for our Baldrige Data Display as we chart our progress in all areas each trimester
    Casting Call for our Parent Volunteer section on our website
    Walk of Fame for our Open House hallway display where I'll take students' photos and they'll autograph them and write a short autobiography that I'll type up
    We have monthly social studies and science themes that will be showcased on our large bulletin board that I will decorate to resemble a movie screen with a "Now Featuring" or "Now Showing" banner
    Those are a few. I think my first graders are going to have so much fun with this theme!
    I'll let you know if I come up with anything else and I hope you'll do the same.

Bev
    http://teacherweb.com/NM/PajaritoElementary/BeverlyRomero/

33. lateachbg

lateachbg New Member

Jul 14, 2007

I think this is a wonderful idea and I can't wait to start working on it. Please let me know if you come up with anything else!!!

34. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

35. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

Very cute - thanx!

36. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 15, 2007

I'm doing "Who are we, and where are we from?" We are going to do cultural and social histories for the beginning of the year.

37. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I will be in Stillwater.

38. mathteach

mathteach Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I'm doing a sport theme. Idon't know whether to focus on one sport or do all sports. I have been looking for props for centers such as inflatable goal posts and balls, football field rugs, sport ball bean bags, etc., but I'm not finding much.

39. mathteach

mathteach Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Another problem is that I only teach math and I can't think of catchy titles for the different math centers. It's hard to do a behavior chart when the kids change classes every 45 minutes.

40. ladybuglady

ladybuglady Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.