What Is Your Back to School Theme

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by C2Teach, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jun 18, 2007

May"bee" something about worker bees catching the buzz in 5th grade.

Bees are great becasue they are organized, efficient and hard workers. You could "bee" the queen bee!

2. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2007

I have a bee theme in my room. Everyone thinks it is cute. I am probably one of the few teachers in my building with a theme though (my school is just upper grades).

I have a sign above my door that says "Mrs. xxxxxxx Hive". Also have a bee job chart, and a bunch of character signs that say "bee kind" etc.

3. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

That's a great idea!

4. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 18, 2007

Back to School Theme

This year is Oklahoma's Centennial. I found a few Western things for the door. Any ideas, let me know! :thanks:

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2007

OK, I guess I'd better get me a theme... :rolleyes:

One teacher in my school had an adorable one (just the door, I think inside didn't have a theme, that school wasn't into themes) that she adapted each year:

Picture a poster decorated like a Crayola box -- yellow oaktag with green diagonal stripes in the lower corners, ya know... Then the half-oval "window" where you see the row of crayons... Then above it, where it says about the product, I don't remember what she wrote at the top, but the next thing was: "[12] Different Brilliant Children" (the way the box says dif. bril. colors... cute!) Then there was a big crayon for each kid's name scattered around the door. Maybe the box said something like, "Mrs. B's Kindergarten" I don't remember exactly. But it was adorable.

6. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

No, I definitely don't think so! :)

I'm a first year teacher... I've put a lot of money into my theme, so I plan to keep it for a looong while. :eek: LOL

7. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 18, 2007

these will be New children 1st Year - sometimes they will come in looking forward to your theme!!! They will love it - make the money last!

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 18, 2007

I named my classroom like it is a city- Jasztalville, and I have signs all over the classroom like interstate and stop signs. I even have cheap license plates from antique stores. I don't plan on changing this theme anytime soon! :)

9. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jun 18, 2007

Horseshoes, sunflowers, gingham, handkerchiefs, horses, wheat, tribes of OK, prairie schooners, cowboy hats, denim, bison

maybe route 66 for a modern spin

10. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 18, 2007

I'll be doing AR at my school...and for a while I've been kind of resistant. I just wasn't excited about it. With this idea, though, I'm thinking I might start to like it more. :)

11. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 18, 2007

I made a super cute bulletin board in the class I student taught in. It had an adorable dog and a stack of books. I titled it: Get your paws on a "dog-gone" good book! I put paper bags, cut in half, with the kids' names on them on the board around the dog, books and title. I also had the "doggy bag" that held inside a reading response sheet. The sheet was shaped like a dog bone and on it I had a basic reaction to the book. Categories were: Paw-some! A tail-wagger & I'd rather have my squeaky toy. Kids read a book, grabbed a dog bone and filled it out for the book. The bones were then put into their brown bags. I encouraged them to use the bags to help them choose books to read. At first, we went through the dog bags every other day, but then it dropped down to about one a week. The kids loved it! I'm thinking about using it with 5th graders too.

12. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 18, 2007

Back to School

Thanks Mrs. Rhino - great suggestions!:thanks:

13. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

I have an inflatable dalmation (or a stuffed animal would do) and I used it to say "Look Who Got Spotted.." could be good work or good behavior.

14. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

beach

I always go with the beach theme. I just can't help myself! Party stories have a lot in stock right now. Outside my door I've had "A Sea of Success" and "A Sea of Knowledge" with the kids names written on fish.
    Jen

15. Mrs. Porter

Mrs. Porter Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Our school is in a construction phase. Any ideas for themes?

16. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

I've used "Dive in to Learning" with a kind of beachy theme

17. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

18. teachersheart

teachersheart New Member

Jun 19, 2007

I did an eagle theme last year with the slogan "Soaring Through the 3rd Grade". Windows were adorned with eagle curtains made from fabric at Wal-mart. Since our mascot is an eagle it fit in perfect. I haven't decided what I will do next year.

19. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 19, 2007

Back to School theme

I saw a 6th grade class once, and they used the "Under Construction" theme. Had the yellow tape across the door etc. I can try to find out where he got the stuff. It was really neat!:rolleyes:

20. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

I really was not going to have a theme... I didn't have one last year, or the year before (I came in mid-year). But these themes are SO cute! Now I'm leaning toward a dog theme!

21. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jun 20, 2007

Building a Bright Future? Or something like that....

22. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2007

OK, I just found out (I think -- it looks like it, but I'll probably know better later) that for my first thematic unit (I'm new to the school so I don't quite 'get" everything yet, but it seems the whole school does the same themes each couple of weeks or so, or something like that...) So anyway, my first thematic unit is clothes. Different types of clothes, stories about clothes, how clothes are made, economy lessons about buying and selling clothes, etc...

Any ideas?
    I'm thinking I could do something with clothesline and pins-- easy. I could shape the backing paper of our charts and things like a shirt.
    I think what I really need is a few good catch phrases or slogans, and something cute for the door.

23. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jun 20, 2007

Learning Never Goes Out of Style

Mrs. ____'s Cool Kids (let them decorate their own cutout with their favorite clothing style.

24. Andibee

Andibee Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Look Who's Hanging Out in ______ Grade

I had a blackline master of a T-shirt that we copied on construction paper and laminated. We wrote each child's name on a T-shirt and hung it on clothesline with the mini clothespins you can get in the craft section at Wal-mart.:) We used die cut letters for "Look Who's Hanging Out in First Grade."

25. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 20, 2007

I just saw a really cute bulliten board that could work for you... let me search to see if I can find it again.... The slogan was something about T-riffic students. :)

26. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

27. Julios

Julios New Member

Jun 20, 2007

I did something very similar to the clothesline idea. If you teach 3rd grade, it ties in perfectly with the first Judy Moody book. I waited until we were at the point in the book where Judy made her 'I Ate Shark' shirt to tell about her summer before letting the kids make their shirts. The display looked fabulous.

28. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2007

Thanks so much for the ideas! You really set the ball rolling...

I especially like "hanging out in..." for the clothesline. "Learning never goes out of style" is cute, too.

29. Mrs. Porter

Mrs. Porter Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

thanks for the ideas

30. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2007

"My Class Fits Me To A 'T' " - One teacher went with the "tee-shirt" theme and had all the kids bring in an old (or new) white tee shirt that the students decorated with markers- then they made life-size head and neck cut outs, put tee-shirts on them, and sat them at their desks for open house so paretns could see where the kids sat. It was adorable!!

31. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

I'm thinking of something to integrate with my SS curriculum (hint, hint look at my recent post about integrated curriculum. ;)).

I was thinking about a row of houses, with people that the kids got to decorate. It might say 'welcome to the neighborhood' on the door. Or 'A community of learners'. I'm still thinking it over.

32. BevAnn

BevAnn Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

I'm doing a "Hollywood" theme. On the bulletin board in the hallway outside my door I'm doing "Look Who's Popping Into First Grade" with a giant popcorn machine/cart that I drew with large popped corn with the students' names scattered around the cart.

http://www.teacherweb.com/NM/PajaritoElementary/BeverlyRomero

33. Daisyd

Daisyd Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

2 Themes

I used to alternate 2 themes, year by year. Apples and fish.

The apple theme is easy to find items for. I had a tree on our door and students picked their apple (velcroed on) and put it in a basket for attendance. I also had baskets in each center area in which students would place their apple so I could easily tell who should be where.

The fish theme: Welcome to our SCHOOL!
    ___[learning, etc.]_________is a treasure! Picture fish, treasure chests and maps, sand, under the sea, etc. Very fun!

This year I'm doing a movie/theatre theme. It seems like a popular option this year!!:)

34. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Maybe "Dog-gone Good Class" for rockets "Blast Off Into A New Year"
    The first year I taught 1st grade I use a beach theme and used "Making A Splash in First Grade"

35. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I am going to have lily pads and frogs and I am going to write the childrens names on the frogs and my slogan is going to be "leaping into 1st grade".

36. csandvik

csandvik New Member

Jul 11, 2007

This topic has some great ideas!
    My mother is hand hooking a rug (yes, my mom is a hooker) w/ a toucan on it and I was thinking of a rainforest theme. I was going to get some thick rope and use that as vines to hang work on and maybe some big fake leaves that I saw in the reading corner. I just can't think of a good phrase, I want something more original than "Welcome to the Jungle".
    Any ideas?

Oh, this will be my first classroom. I'm pretty excited!

37. Daisyd

Daisyd Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

How about "Wild about Learning" or ...1st grade, etc.?

38. csandvik

csandvik New Member

Jul 11, 2007

Thanks. I like that idea, it seems so easy, yet so hard to do sometimes.:D

39. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 11, 2007

I teach in a Catholic school so I am doing a theme outside my classroom surrounding the quote about "Come with me and I will make you fishers of men!"

I plan to put their names on little fish and have a big net underneath.

I hope it will be cute!

40. asumountaineer

asumountaineer Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I am doing a star theme this year. Any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.