What is your attention-getting signal?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jbrinkm, Sep 4, 2011.

1. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Sep 4, 2011

I'm looking for a new signal for getting the children's attention (i.e. clapping pattern, raising hands up, etc)

What do you do?

3. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Sep 4, 2011

I say "123" they say "eyes on me"
    On the first day of school I let them come up with a cue word. When I say the word or ring a bell they all instantly stop what they are doing, put their hands on their desks, and silently look at me. The word they picked was SHAZAM! Works great!!

4. benny08

benny08 Rookie

Sep 4, 2011

We say something similiar, I say 123 eyes on me and they respond with 1,2 eyes on you. works great!

5. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Sep 4, 2011

Those are great. Do they work if the kids are playing in centers and you need their attention for something?

6. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 4, 2011

Here is a cute one from Dr. Jean, good for group times:
    "Tootsie Roll (roll arms around and around), lolly pop (pretend to lick sucker) we've been talking (make talking hand motion) now lets stop!"

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2011

I don't know if pre-k would like this or not, but my mentor teacher for my regular ed student teaching had one I really liked. She would say, "Miss _______'s class!" and they would respond "We love to learn!" and they knew that meant they had to stop what they were dong/listen to her. I don't really use it because I don't have a whole class, but if I was teaching gen ed I would have totally stolen it!

8. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Sep 4, 2011

We havent't started centers yet, but I hope they will work then too!

9. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

I have several that I use:
    * I have a wind chime in my classroom when the children are at centers I ring it once and they all freeze and look at me
    *I use the "Tootsy Roll" cheer posted above
    *I clap a pattern and have them copy it (great way to sneak in math standards)
    *I also sing (Tune: Are you sleeping) "I am waiting, I am waiting, for your attention, for your attention, all eyes here please, voices off, thank you, let's begin"

The important thing with all attention getters is to practice them with the whole class and praise praise praise when they stop what they are doing and give you your attention.

10. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Sep 5, 2011

I use the "123, All eyes on me" one as previously posted. I agree with using praise when they give you their attention.

11. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

Well I teach middle school so I don't know if this would apply to Preschool.

I say, "clap once if you can hear me, snap twice if you can hear me" and so on until I get the majority of my class focusing with me. Then I can single out the ones who really choose to ignore the directive and redirect them accordingly. It kinda become a game because I alternate and change it up.

12. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Sep 7, 2011

train whistle

13. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 8, 2011

I just raise my hand and put my other finger to my lip. It takes a lot of practice but it works and it is quiet. It takes a few min to get everyone's attention so if it is for something that I need their immed attention, I turn off the lights. I use this one very infrequently, so when the lights go off they stop immediately and look at me. Again, I only use that one for emergencies.

14. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Sep 8, 2011

During circle time we do "5, 4, 3-2-1, it's listening time for everyone"...if they catch on and start singing, it works. If not, well, they are 3 and ignore you! haha