What is WRONG with people?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Jan 10, 2013.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2013

Without revealing too much personal information, a teacher exists who "jokingly" threatens students with lines such as "I'll come across this desk and cut your throat if you don't stop talking!"

:dizzy:

I'm at a loss...

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2013

:eek:

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2013

Kind of surprised parents haven't gotten wind of this and raised a ruckus....I would.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2013

The students find it funny, so they may not be sharing with parents. Just insane.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 10, 2013

I would be SO fired if I said that! If my kiddos say that to one another I am required to report it and a thorough investigation is done by admin. And I teach 6-year-olds.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 10, 2013

Uh wow.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2013

Please say this is not in your (elementary) school!

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 10, 2013

Personally, I'd tell the principal. I have seen 2 teachers in my life who were like this. Both were fired in the middle of their first year at our school, and what they said to the students was awful. On both teachers when I reported their abusive language to the principal, both times the principal said many other teachers also complained. I am glad I and other teachers said something.

I think there is nothing wrong with most people and most teachers, but most likely you haven't heard the worst of what this individual has said to students. I consider this emotional abuse and it should be reported.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2013

No, thankfully. But it's "close to home".

11. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jan 10, 2013

:agreed:

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2013

I think it depends on the environment and school culture. I teach in an urban, inner-city district where I have heard teachers say all types of crazy stuff to kids (jokingly, of course) and no one is ever fired or punished or whatever. Now, at my school, you do have to watch what you say to the babies (6th graders) because their feelings get hurt easily, but teachers joke all the time with students using comments that would probably shock people who have never worked in inner-city schools.

That being said, this is an environmet where when a student calls a teacher the c-word and threatens to "f*** them up and key their car" because the teacher gave them detention; Admin's response is their standard line of "call home and assign them another detention." It just is what it is.

13. Math

Math Cohort

Jan 10, 2013

Wow, taking it to the extreme....

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2013

Great modeling from the teachers... :huh:

15. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 10, 2013

I don't care if somebody is teaching down in the hood, you don't say that to kids--ever. And if you're saying it's "close to home" I am sincerely hoping it is not a child of yours or a relative of yours that somebody said that to.

16. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jan 11, 2013

I would consider this verbal and emotional abuse, and as a mandated reporter, I would be required to report it. Even if I wasn't a mandated reporter, I would report it. I hope you will do the same.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2013

I don't want to share too much information as far as where we're going from here, but it's not being ignored. :)

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 11, 2013

Good to know! Students should know that this is not acceptable language coming from an adult, let alone one who oversees their well-being during the day. They should know that isn't something to giggle about, especially in this day and age.

19. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2013

We have a teacher like this at my school. She is very sweet and super nice but uses some of these threatening words with students (especially when she is frustrated or joking, but the students can't really tell the difference).

The sad thing is that administration is aware, but because parents and students love this teacher, they do nothing.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2013

That is not even remotely funny, nor anywhere close to appropriate. Really, what is wrong with people????

21. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Jan 11, 2013

A friend of mine worked in an office environment and was in the break room joking with about three coworkers. They were all being dumb and my friend holds up her paper plate and says, "I'll cut you in the juguluh (jugular)!" Clearly she was joking because she said "jugular" in a funny way. Two days later she was fired.

If someone can get fired for saying something like that to another adult, there's no reason to say anything remotely similar to a child. Without my example, there's no reason to say something like that to a child. When he's misbehaving and getting a little crazy, I tell my kid, "I will knock you out!" and he replies with, "Mama said knock you out!" because we've made that a joke from the song and it helps diffuse my anger. But he's MY kid and we both know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'd never hurt him like that.

There is not reassurance like that with a teacher no matter how well you know them.

22. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Jan 11, 2013

That is just awful, whether they are kidding or not.

Though..my own kids first grade teacher used to threaten to sit on them when they got crazy and she was not a small woman,:D By her tone the kids knew she was teasing, at least mine did.

I did tell one of my super mathematical geniuses today that I was going to "suck out his brain" and give him my brain instead. :p
    Again, he knew I was teasing.

But throat cutting? Really? If a child said that to another child in any school I have ever worked in, it would fall under Zero Tolerance and they'd be in the Principal's office.

I am sad to say I have seen some very rough teaching recently and feel for the kids involved with that particular teacher, but I am somewhat powerless to say or do anything about it for a host of reasons. Still considering an anonymous phone call though because I can't accept teachers that make children cry as a method of classroom management but this is a whole different thread and I am rambling....