What is words do you use on your word wall

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Jan 23, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Jan 23, 2017

Hi I teach VPK(Voluntary Pre K) and I decided to build the word wall based on words that begin with the letter we are working on. I have booklet that explains word wall building and activities for the word wall and it too wants the words on the wall to begin with the letter that the teacher is teaching for the week.

I am asking because at my previous job the director wanted Sight Words on the word wall when the children are just beginning alphabets and sounds. The place I currently work the children have build up enough skills for me to begin sight words. However, I do not use my sight words on the word wall. I do them in small group and whole group.

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jan 23, 2017

Depends on their level.
    My private school PreK class at my last job was advanced so I did sight words, which they mastered quickly. They learned all the PreK, Kindergarten, and 1st grade sight words.
    I then moved a couple hours southwest (same state) and now teach public preschool (3-5 year olds). I use my word wall to build vocabulary and work on letters & sounds. The words I put up there are related to the theme I'm doing that week, so yes, words change every week or 2. For example, hibernate, migrate, adapt for the "what do animals do in winter?" Theme. So that was more focused on new vocabulary.
    This week we're doing "winter wear", so the words are jacket, gloves, mittens, boots, etc. So the focus is more on letters and sounds since the kids know these words.