What Is/Will Be Your Welcoming Bulletin Board?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherSandra, Aug 1, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

I still don't have the foggiest!
    hehe

I'm thinking of laminating some newspaper print and putting up my weekly parent letter there with the headlines, EXTRA! EXTRA!! READ ALL ABOUT IT (in black)! I know that's not my main bulletin board, so...still thinking here! :wub:

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 1, 2008

I'm not really doing a welcome bb. I just got my 'Get Caught Reading' posters last night (the size of a sheet of paper), so I'm going to put those on the front door, along with some magnifying glasses. Then I'll slowly put up pictures of the kids getting caught reading, in the same frame. So eventually we'll have the whole class up there caught reading. But I don't have an outside board to do just names.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2008

My welcome BB is really simple and is an idea that has been posted several times on A to Z. It will either be on my door or on a bulletin board outside the classroom - depends on my options and I don't know what those are because I haven't even seen my classroom yet! So, the welcome BB will have the title, "What a great batch!" and will have one to two cookie sheets (rectangular cardboard covered in foil) with chocolate chip cookies (image of a real cookie, printed, and cut out) on them, which will have the names of my students written on them. Depending on the size of the door/bulletin board, I may include a cookie jar for just extra decoration.

5. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Aug 1, 2008

mines' "we're Wild About...2nd Grade". It will have tiger print border, and really big wild animals. I think it will go up outside the classroom...

6. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

I also have decorated my door with this theme. I love it because I can leave it up all year and change the cookies according to season or holiday!

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

Love this! :2up: Do you have a picture to post??

And I loved what EDUK8 said about the different cookies according to holidays! :2up:

8. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Since I am doing a superhero theme this year, and also thanks to some ideas from some teachers here, I am going to have "The League of Extraordinary Students." I am going to have their names on the door and we will post pictures and mini-biographies within a few days.

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2008

That's a great idea!

TeacherSandra, I haven't put it up yet because I've yet to get into my classroom, but I'll be sure to post a photo when I do!

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 1, 2008

I have a Welcome to second grade banner by the side of my door. My neighbor and I share a wall between our doors (it also has a water fountain) that we'll put up. I have the GIGANTIC letters that say "ALL-STAR STUDENTS" that we'll put up top. Below that, we'll put each student's name on an individual star and scatter them on the wall.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 1, 2008

Oh, our school mascot/theme is the All-Stars.

12. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 1, 2008

I did this last year! My tagline was "A new batch of third graders" I made cookie sheet with foil and then just found a chocolate chip cookie image that I liked and printed it out. Mine was in the middle and was a bit bigger with my mine and our room number. I'll search and see if I have a pic. It was cute.

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 1, 2008

This year I did a Western theme. I used the Western Stick kids BB set and some Western punch out accents to put the kids names on on. I downloaded a Western font and my tagline is "Rounding up a new bunch of third graders." I really like it!

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

My friend did a cookie theme last year...her's said "a batch of smart cookies"...it was really cute!

I decided to do an Olympics theme, thanks to Buck's shopping skills...hehe. My bb will be "Going for the Gold in Room 226".

15. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I'm using the hands themes stuff and saying "Hands down, 3rd graders are the best!"

16. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 1, 2008

I don't have a bulletin board outside my door. I have to use the wall. Mine will say "ALL ABOARD, NEXT STOP SECOND GRADE". I've cut train engines in various colors from the Ellison machine, put on pretty name tags I found, and wrote each student's name on the tag. I place railroad symbols I've enlarged from the internet around the display.

17. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 1, 2008

Anything I can do to help. I like shopping...I'm very good at it. I could probably win a gold medal or something. :)

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

Maybe I should send you a goal card and buy you a gold medal from Oriental trading like I plan to do for my kids! lol :D

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

Welcome to Boot Camp. Shape up or Ship out!

20. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

Mine says, "Surfing into 2nd grade." I made it look 3D with waves. I made surfboards for kiddos to decorate on the first day with their name. Then, I plan to use the board for math facts.

21. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2008

I just had a stroke of genius when rereading this thread! To add to my, "What a great batch!" BB, I am going to create a recipe card that has the ingredients listed out to something of this effect:

Ms. B's Recipe for 18 Spectacular Pre-K'ers

18 awesome children
    1 encouraging teacher
    1 dash of reading stories
    4 pinches of singing silly songs
    3 smidgens of fun art activities
    ?????????????

I'll have to wait to make my recipe card though because depending on the size of the area I'll have to put up my BB, I may have to make it medium or large.

22. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

Oh, EmmaKate218... I have a friendship poem that would go perfectly. I am not at home right now but will try to find it on SUN evening and post it!

23. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

My bulletin board will be along the lines of...
    Welcome to Mrs. ____'s Team

I have a big baseball mitt already colored and laminated. I also copied some baseballs and colored the hats on them. I'll write each child's name on a baseball and scatter them about the mitt. The "catchy welcome" will be written on some baseball bat cutouts. I am using Carson-Dellosa clipart so the artwork (mitt, baseballs, and bats) has a friendly look to them.

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

:2up:LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! :2up:
    I just made a print out! :D

25. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

Enmakate,
    Wouldn't it be neat to get some oven mitts and staple onto each of the cookie sheet???

26. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

Love the recipe idea Emma. :) And the oven mitts Sandra. I'll have to remember this for next year! :)

27. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

My hallway bulletin board says, Hopping into a great year, I have a pond, leaping frogs, and lily pads around the board. Each lily pad has a student's name on them.

Inside the classroom I have a small bulletin board that says "Here's the Scoop" across the top with two ice cream cone cut-outs. This is where I post important dates and info for the year.

28. WCTitanFan

WCTitanFan New Member

Aug 2, 2008

One of our school themes is - We are college bound! Eventhough this is an elementary school. You can never start too early.
    My bulletin board outside my room will read. Fifth graders say... "We are college bound!" I will put their names in those speech bubbles. I will also have two black portraits of students a boy and a girl on the side of the board.

29. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

I think that's a cute idea! I actually found some black gingham material I had stored away so I'm hoping to use that as my background.

30. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

I think that's an awesome idea to do for a news board for the classroom. I like it!

31. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I doing star students with each child's name on a star. I got this really cool bulletin board paper that looks like the night sky from education express.

32. Jungle

Jungle Companion

Aug 2, 2008

I am going to put up a large tree and I have my tree frogs already cut out and laminated. The frogs are hiding behind a leaf, holding onto it and all you can see is their head and toes. On each frog's leaf I write a child's name. I throw in some extra leaves to fill out the tree. My slogan is "Kindergarteners are Toad-ally awesome!" (I know, frogs and toads are different, but.... Kindergarteners are Frog-ally awesome just doesn't sound as good) :lol:

33. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

Cute! Yeah, "Kinders are Frog-ally Awesome" doesn't really have that certain something. :lol:

We'll all have to be sure to post photos once the BBs are up!

34. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2008

Yes! We ought to do that! :)

35. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

Weeeellll...I'm STILL hoping to either get one of the four jobs soon to be posted at the school I long-termed for last year OR to get a long-term there again...should know in a couple weeks (you know, like the day before I have to be there or something!) Anyways, if I do get a job there this year, I'll use the theme "A New School of Fish" because we moved into a new school at the end of the year last year (the kids haven't seen the new school inside yet!!).

I just happened to find a little poster in some of my old stuff that said this. Isn't that perfect?? I also plan to steal someone's idea I got from here that calls the Writing Center "The Writing Pad" and uses lily pads...plus I can use boats, the ocean, pirates, etc...in other areas of the room...I'm so excited...I really hope I get a job this year!!!:rolleyes: