What is up with these 'wheelies'?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Master Pre-K, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2007

Hello All,

I know it's getting cold and probably won't see too much of this soon.

But, I guess I have been living in my condo under papers too long...and have not understood something...

What is up with these 'wheelies'? You know, those kids gym shoes with little skate wheels built inside. What is the purpose of this madness?

If you want to get your kid skates, buy them skates. Skates are skates, and shoes are shoes. People who are sane tell their kid to take their skates off before they go into a store? Right?

I have seen signs in the store windows these days, "No Wheelies"

Apparently parents and their children are oblivious to them.

I find a child wheeling around the store is like a bull in a china market. It is just an accident waiting to happen.

Maybe I am just running out of good topics... :crosseyed :haha:

but does anybody else feel this way???

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2007

I've heard them called "heelies". I saw someone wearing them and skating around WalMart yesterday. Is it sad that sometimes I want them to fall? I agree though MPK.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2007

I think they are silly and I am glad my kids never wanted them. I was at a Home Depot a few weeks ago and some kids were going up and down the aisles with them. It was ridiculous! Who knows where the parents were. The store actually made an announcement saying that they were not allowed in the store due to safety reasons.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 17, 2007

In our district kids are not allowed to have the wheels in the shoe in the buildings.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 17, 2007

I can see how they seem cool to kids. However, the number of kids skating and racing around the stores is getting out of hand! Also, if you allow your child to wear them in a store and "skate" on them, isn't it your fault if he/she falls in the store? I can't tell you how many times a child has bumped into me or cut me off in the grocery store with those shoes on :eek:hmy:

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2007

My son loves his, although they're getting kind of small on him.

I think that, as in so many other cases, a little bit of good parenting and common sense go a long way.

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 17, 2007

(Look to the right and see all of the advertisements for Heelys Shoes!!)

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Nov 17, 2007

I have taken the wheels out of heelies that students have worn to school before. They're not allowed at my school, but kids still try to wear them sometimes. I also hate it when I see kids skating around in a store in them. I've been nearly run over by some of them before. I'm always a little tempted to stick a foot out as they go skating by though!:woot:

10. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Nov 17, 2007

I won't allow my kids to have them. I think they might be fun, but if my kids want to skate, then I will take them to the skating rink or the park and we can strap on some rollerblades and skate. They shouldn't be skating around the store.

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2007

That's to funny, I just noticed it!

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2007

I HATE HATE HATE These shoes!! Becuase the kids fly down the concrete with them and cant stop them in enough time so they face plant on the ground and bust open thier chins ..i cant tell you how many kids we had this summer do that... I had to ban them becuase of it!

whatever happened to just rollerblades or skates

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2007

soooo...I am not the only one... :D

Who would allow their kid to go rolling around the store in some skates or rollerblades?

I tell ya what happened to the rollerblades dee,

Kids wearing rollerblades and using skateboards would play on steps, and concrete plazas, and other building entrances.

they fell, busted their heads, and parents sued.

so now, you have signs posted in the mall...no rollerblades/skateboards allowed, posted. ordinance 1.452.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2007

15. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 18, 2007

I really dislike these shoes. My 6 year old son received them from my mother-in-law last Christmas. My son was so so happy!! I only let him wear them on the drive way with a helmet and knee pads. Yes, I am very overprotective. He is only 6,still developing and balancing is hard for him. He is getting much better though.

Under a watchful eye,they really are okay for play not traveling into stores with them!!

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 18, 2007

Yes, this pretty much sums up everything ;)

17. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2007

Not me. There is a place for them and it certainly is not a store.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 18, 2007

In these parts what happened was as likely to be damage to the property as damage to the kid: skateboarders doing grinds are remarkably hard on railings and concrete berms and benches, and the repairs get expensive after a while.

(I typed "ollies" at first, and then figured I better check to make sure those were the moves I meant. They're not, but in the process I came across this cool Web page on the science of skateboarding: http://www.exploratorium.edu/skateboarding/trick02.html

19. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Nov 18, 2007

Those shoes are great! They allow me to move around my classroom with SPEED! One second I'm helping a student, next second I'm all the way across campus. I'm able to cross campus in a single bound.
    Look on the basketball court, look in the cafeteria, look by the white board. It's Super teacher! :p

Actually, if I tried a pair, a visit to an orthopedic surgeon would be in order.

20. LI Teach 99

LI Teach 99 Rookie

Nov 18, 2007

I think they are pretty cool, lol. I can see the harm in them should they be used in crowded areas, such as a store. But I can see them amusing kids for hours in the driveway, and then they are getting some exercise, which is good, is it not?

I think they might just be a fad though, because they amount of kids wearing them seems to be decreasing (at least around me).

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2007

:toofunny:

22. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 18, 2007

Both of my sons have them. They love them but know that they are not to use them in the store or any other public place. If they do, they lose the wheels. I agree with Alice...it all goes back to the parents. They are the ones who can make the rules and decide when and how the kids will use them. That being said...if the kids want them, I don't see any reason not to get them. They are fun!

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2007

ok, wheelies over on this side of the store...

the rest of us will be on the other side of the store!

btw...do they ever get stuck in grates that cover sewers, or heaven forbid..railroad tracks?

maybe it's just me... but I think it's just as bad to have a kid clomp around the mall in baseball/soccer cleats! It must be damaging to the floors, and too easy for them to slip and fall.

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2007

25. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2007

I agree.

I can see the appeal, but I wouldn't allow them in a store or at school, or any place similar.

26. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 19, 2007

27. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2007

My portable classroom is pretty far for the building and the kids keep telling me I need these to get back and forth fast!

I told them too bad they don't make them in dress shoes style.

I was kidding. They are annoying and dangerous. I just can't wait til this trend stops.

28. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 21, 2007

They've been here in southern California for a few years, and I still see them!!! I don't think its a fad.