What is the single biggest thing you're looking to change this upcoming year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 6, 2011

I'm going to make a serious, concerted effort to reduce the amount of work I do from home. I have a horrible habit of leaving all my planning and 90% of my grading until the weekend - and I have a 2nd job weekends, so my weekends are spent working the whole time. Enough!

I want to try to do the majority of my planning at school and keep a minimal amount of grading for in front of the TV at home, or better yet, at school.

Any tips for people who have learned to do this?????

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 6, 2011

Try not to worry about what other people say and do. Just do my job to the best of my ability and not worry about having the nicest room or the cutest lessons or any of that. Just do what is best for the kids and not worry about the gossip and all of the other negative things that go on within my school.

4. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

1. Keep my distance a little better. I let my student's criticism of me and my lessons hurt sometimes, and they don't need to know stories about my cats..or whatever. =)
    2. Review the basics and check for understanding.

5. BookshelfAmy

BookshelfAmy Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

LOL! I had a teacher in high school who was very professional and emotionally reserved. We lived in a tiny town, and yet the ONLY personal thing we knew about her is that she had two cats, and was totally passionate about them. We always knew when they were sick or had vet appointments. It was a little disorienting to think of her as a regular human with a home and pets (and FEELINGS), but probably a good thing!

6. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 6, 2011

Network! I need to be a more outgoing sub so that I will increase my chances of getting a full-time job.

7. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 6, 2011

Keeping a current calendar of events so I remember what's going on and who is NOT going to be in class. Since I tend to bury the desk calendar (it still had October showing last March) I opted for a spiral calendar planner.

8. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 6, 2011

I would definitely like to stay more on top of my grading, which in the bigger picture would relate to prioritizing my time more effectively! I am usually good with that, but with some increased responsibilities last year I was a little too disorganized with time management for my liking.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 6, 2011

Grade papers in a more timely fashion (I need to stay after school longer to grade stuff-- I do zip at home in the evening) and spend more time reviewing homework assignments.

10. love2learn07

love2learn07 Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

As always, I want to be more organized and find some other ways of managing paper work, etc. I totally agree w/ you Pisces Fish! I'm tired of prep and planning consuming my weekends and evenings! Plus, I have some extra personal and professional responsibilities this year, and don't want to drive myself crazy!! I'd love to hear tips from others as well.

11. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 7, 2011

I'm looking forward to implementing workboxes this year! I've spent a lot of time over the summer making them. I've made 9 of them and I also made/modified 12 file folder centers. That's a good portion of my curriculum for the year.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 7, 2011

My personal theme for this year is "create and collaborate". I want to make sure that my digital lessons focus more on the process than the product.

13. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 7, 2011

I'm going to really really try to use my planning periods more efficiently. I tend to talk to my friends during that time and get nothing done! Then I end up staying late...

I don't have a partner teacher this year, so that will help. (Even though I will definitely miss having someone across the hall.:()

14. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

I agree with BookshelfAmy. I was in a similar boat, myloveasdeep. I tried to be nice to the kids last year. They were walking all over me because I was not firm, consistent, and did not have more consequences when they broke the rules.

As mentioned by others, I want to incorporate more team-building skills in my lessons. Also, I would like to be more efficient in grading and organization. I like what myloveasdeep mentioned:

I am working on being efficient and proficient in what myloveasdeep has mentioned. Last year, I felt that I had to grade everything that I gave out. I felt that I was making worksheets for them to do for the next concept but didn't spend enough time reviewing the basics and checking for understanding for all kids. This year, I will give fewer assignments that target review and checking for understanding.

:hijack: On a side note- United Streaming is a great place for educational movies for all subjects (I used the science videos all the time- never search under other subjects). Some of the movie clips have prepared lessons and worksheets that can be adjusted for your students.

15. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 7, 2011

That sounds like me! Last year was one of the first times I had a planning period all by myself, and I was amazed at how productive I was every day.

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2011

Stay organized and spend less time at work.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2011

I'll have to keep my office/resource room more organized because I'll be sharing it this year!

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 7, 2011

I'm looking to make some changes in math. I'm doing more groups and tiered instruction in there. I'm really looking forward to it!

19. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

Network as said, Need lot of networking to build my career.

20. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

My goal is to write less to parents (believe it or not!) and include more pictures in my newsletters. In the past my newsletters were way too wordy and I think they didn't get read. Now I am using the twitter rule. 140 characters or less for each subject!

I do plan on writing emails to parents about the good things their kids do, or cute pictures I take regularly.

21. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 8, 2011

1. Like many, I want to simplify. I have been planning my classroom this year to have a lot of routine built in that will be effective, but not as much planning. Every Monday, the students will do a quiz correction sheet from the Friday quiz--things like that. I want to simplify my grading routine so I can enter grades by the time students leave (for daily grades, at least).

2. Remove myself from situations. Sometimes I get burnt out because I put so much emotion into situations.

22. mathrulz

mathrulz Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

Efficiency

Be more efficient in grading (and we are trying something new next year - written explanations on the tests - so this may be a challenge) and in organizing paperwork...those mountains seem to appear out of nowhere!

23. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2011

Do you have a plan to follow to make these changes? This is a goal of mine also in math; more small group instruction, more project based learning and hands on activities, but not quite sure where to start...

24. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 9, 2011

1. DISCIPLINE! Last year was my first year. This year I'm setting my expectations high with routines. Then after assessments I'm going to set high expectations of how work cycles go. Quiet lining up, walking straight, hands behind back, group time lips together, ears listening, sitting on bottoms. I'm much more patient and I wait for them. After 1 warning/redirection, reminder I ask for them to be excused from group and come back when they are ready.

2. Keeping up with paperwork...filing it away as soon as I get it!

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

I'm going to try to be better at having my whole week's activities planned and ready to go. That always seems to be my goal, but I've never done a great job of reaching it. I still find myself scrambling to make copies the day before and that sort of thing. What I want is to have everything for the next week laid out and ready to go on Friday afternoon. It'll be tricky making myself stay and get it done, but I'm going to have to find a way to do it.

26. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 10, 2011

I have always wanted to do that! But I find that I think of things that I want to do the same day. I find that my Lesson Plans really becomes a working document. I seem to think so much better on the fly.... but its a disadvantage as well because I'm then scrabbling.

27. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

I felt the same way! This year I put a caveat in my syllabus stating that reading activities (like pre-reading role playing for instance) may or may not be graded, depending on what comes up in discussion and how much effort is put forth. I broke down the grading into percentages so that no matter how MANY things I grade, the percentage for each type remains the same: i.e. 50% for essays, 30% for tests, 10% for journal, 10% participation.

I am also not accepting any late work at all except in the case of absence.

28. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

1. I am finally taking the time this summer to organize all of my materials so they are easier to find when I need them, and they are only in one place - no duplicate files! My resource room is 10*18 feet, and I have K-5, all subjects.

2. I am getting an aide next year, and she is supposed to be not very good at all (generous description), so trying to have a good year in spite of this, trying to find a way to utilize any positives she might bring to the table.....and if she is really unworkable, document everything.

3. I hope to be in gen ed classrooms more, and out on the playground - hard to do with the schedule as it is, but I am really making this a priority.

4. Socialize more with co-workers I really like - I spend so much time at work, they are almost the only friends I really get to see!

5. Don't let shyness/insecurities keep me from assuming more leadership roles.

Okay, so that is more than one. The first one is the biggest, because I was just buried in papers in my tiny room last year, and I can't survive that again!