What is the response time on a job offer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachCafe, Mar 3, 2015.

1. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Mar 3, 2015

I'm a current teacher but I'm thinking of putting in a transfer. Transfers for my district don't start for a few weeks. A neighboring district says they will have 2015-2016 positions up in 6-8 weeks :eek: and another already has positions for next year up.

I want to stay in my current district ideally but they're really soon on gearing for next year. The earliest it feels like. We have Spring Break coming up so I'd love to have that time to interview with schools in districts that are an alternating week.

If I could interview on a vacation and not have to take a half or full day that would be awesome! :wub:

But hypothetically speaking if say I get an offer I still want to wait to see what my districts transfer list looks like.

Is that something I can say? That I do want to see what my own district has? I mean I'm in the system. No more HR red tape. It would be a simple contract switch to Elementary B from Elementary A.

2015-2016 is still too far off IMO to even be thinking about this but I know districts like the next year to look as tentative as possible. But with so many marriages, babies, moves happening between Jun-Aug what looks set in May could be 15-20 teachers resigning come August 17.

What's the response time this early in the game?

I mean it's not August and they need to know NOW because classes start next week. But with every district having different dates, still having positions for right now because teachers are going on maternity leave starting this month through June like whoa it's hard to know.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2015

I don't think I would tell a prospective district that you are waiting to see what your present district posts. That is akin to telling them that their district is your second choice.

You may just have to make the decision to choose which district you are going to commit to.

4. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Mar 3, 2015

See that's the hard part for me.

I'm in SPED now but I'm really out of it and if that's the only thing available I'm switching districts because I refuse to teach any kind of SPED in the near future. Maybe in another year or 2 but for 15-16 no way.

I'm not committing to any district as far as SPED. It could be just a really bad year and a first year at that but I know I won't do it again right now.

I see how public school gets teachers burned out of SPED so fast. If I don't leave and take a break now I'll probably leave for good and I don't think I'm done for good. But for next year absolutely.