What is the most aggravating thing your students do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrTempest, Apr 24, 2017.

1. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 24, 2017

Of course I cannot stand the “I ain’t the only one” response, but the thing that really gets under my skin is when kids say, “You be doin’ too much,” when they want me to let them get away with something.

Backroads likes this.
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 24, 2017

I can see how that would be aggravating because I don't even think that makes any sense!

4. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 24, 2017

I usually reply with, "You doing too little."

cocobean and Backroads like this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 24, 2017

I have an unusually large number of ADHD kids this year, at least compared to other years. So while I try to take their behavior in stride (I have family members with ADHD) sometimes the short attention span drives me nuts. As in "I just gave you a reminder to not talk 3 seconds ago!"

I also hate the "Johnny was doing it, too!"

I respond with "Friends don't tattle on friends."

6. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 24, 2017

I will respond with, "Why you snitching?" I teach at an urban school and I sometimes have luck with this as they do not like being called snitches.

7. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Apr 24, 2017

This has been a big one for me this year, too. The number of times I find myself saying, "Did we not JUST discuss this?" is alarming at times, especially with the end of the year so close.

Another one is when kids get their pencils so incredibly sharp that it breaks the second they try and write with. Then it's back to the pencil sharpener. No matter how many times I say, "Your pencil does not need to be pointy enough to qualify as a weapon," it hasn't quite sunk in for many of them.

MrTempest likes this.
  8. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 24, 2017

I would be happy enough that they made the attempt to sharpen the pencil BEFORE the lesson began.

Backroads likes this.
  9. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2017

Really, just talking when I'm talking. It still happens, and it still pisses me off.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 24, 2017

Interrupting.

Like when I'm speaking to an adult or another student. They'll walk up to me and start talking as though I'm not currently involved in another conversation.

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 24, 2017

I have given lessons on how to tell if someone is done talking.

Peregrin5 and MrTempest like this.
  12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2017

Not being respectful of each other.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2017

I really dislike it when kids who are capable of doing something act like they can't do it, usually so that I will do it for them. The joke's on them, though, because I won't.

14. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Apr 24, 2017

Not letting me finish my sentences. I have one student that is really bad about doing this and it drives me insane!

Bioguru and MrTempest like this.
  15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 24, 2017

This. I have an alarming number of students in some of my classes who have decided that they are going to sit there and do nothing. They're not going to try to learn the concepts or put any effort in, and anytime I do a check for understanding the very least that they do is proclaim loudly that nothing makes sense, this is stupid, why do you make us do this, etc. etc. Because they're often bored because they're sitting there with a blank paper refusing to do anything except whine, they often get into misbehavior as well, because what else are you going to do when you're bored.

They've been dragged from grade to grade with teachers that do the work for them because they don't want them to fail. I've been caring, I've been inviting, I've chunked things, explained it a million different ways, I've wheedled and nagged if I had to, but what it comes down to is that they don't want to do ANY work. They think they come to school to be entertained, or only appear because they're forced to by the government. I refuse to do all of my students' learning for them, and if they give up, I give up on them too until they've decided to turn things around. They're taking away my time and bandwidth from the kids who WANT to learn. They're going to fail (most of them are going to fail every class this semester) and they can either learn from their mistakes or drop out.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Leaborb192 and Caesar753 like this.
  16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 24, 2017

I had an incident just this afternoon where a student flat-out refused to do an assignment. So I perused for a helpful bit of internet advise and found this article that was refreshingly honest and helpful on the matter.

Peregrin5, ms.irene and Caesar753 like this.
  17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 24, 2017

Love this. I'm trying to remind myself everyday to focus on the kids who want to learn, so I don't get overly negative. I just have a few periods where it seems like there is maybe only 1 of them out of the entire class if any.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 24, 2017

I really enjoyed that article. Thanks Backroads for sharing.

One of my pet peeves is immaturity that doesn't match the age group. I teach 8 and 9 and sometimes they act like they are 5 years old. An example would be they try to eat a sandwich during lesson time. It's pretty obvious and when you call them out on it, the student says (with his mouth full no less) that it wasn't him and he isn't eating.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  19. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Apr 25, 2017

The thread confounds me, as I want to list scores of nasty things our students do, but one thing that really burns me up is when some little punk will intentionally ignore instructions, doing the opposite of what is asked, often making a big show of ignoring instructions, having learned to lash out at adults with blatantly asinine behavior and atrocious performance.

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 25, 2017

That article is awesome, and I need to look up the podcast. I'm a podcast addict.

My biggest aggravation is when I try to redirect an obviously off-task student and I get excuses how their "learning alternative" is important.

"Dakota, I asked you to read this section of Animal Farm. Please close YouTube now."
    "But this guy is an expert in GTA cheat codes!"
    "You can watch what you want after you've finished your reading and assignment on it."
    "But --..."
    <Mrs. Fiddle's head explodes>

Backroads likes this.
  21. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 25, 2017

When I'm concentrating on getting a lesson completed and it's interrupted and slowed down by misbehavior. One time many years ago, I had a rather humorous experience along this line. The students were doing independent work while I was taking advantage of the time at my desk. The students had been antsy previously and were becoming antsy again. Suddenly, I slammed my hand against the top of my desk! It made such a loud noise that it not only scared the students out of the seats it scared me too. We kind of just sat and looked at each other in shock; then we all, including me, burst out laughing. Of course, afterwards we had a discussion about what the proper classroom decorum should have been.

A tip I've tried successfully, (although believe me, I'm not perfect), I practice dealing with possible scenarios without losing my temper at home (where no one can see me pretending to teach invisible students). It works like a fire drill; I have a practiced response ready at all times. Philosophically, I kind of view frustration as a natural lower-brain response and an important signal that something needs attention. The key is how I respond to the signal. Just as when the fire alarm rings, I don't start yelling at the fire alarm, but I follow the drill and procedures to deal with the signal.

Peregrin5 and Backroads like this.
  22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 25, 2017

When that act as if they are being terribly inconvenienced by a reasonable request, such as, "Sit in a desk," or, "Stop talking while I'm talking."

Backroads, Caesar753 and Peregrin5 like this.
  23. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 25, 2017

The looks from 2nd graders I have received...

Peregrin5 and MrTempest like this.
  24. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2017

Tell them to add it to their Watch Later list :)

25. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2017

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  26. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2017

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Ms.Holyoke and Peregrin5 like this.
  27. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Apr 26, 2017

A couple years ago my students loved to tell me "you thought..." when I asked them to do something. Drove me nuts! I would respond with "I know, now go [do it]"

28. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2017

I am a sub and I hate it when students try to take advantage. I know it's normal behavior for a lot of kids but I find it so disrespectful.

Today, a few students chose not to sit in their assigned seats. They insisted that their seat was correct even though the chart said otherwise. I had to let it go because this was a tough class and I didn't want to get into a power struggle and lose control of the other students. And then, rignt after they left, I noticed that the majority of them didn't put their calculators back. (Yes, I forgot to give the direction but 8th graders should know to put calculators back if they made the choice to get them!) I didn't realize because I was standing by the door to make sure they didn't leave early.

29. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2017

I really really hate when they interrupt me. I can not even finish a sentence some days. I'll be teaching and I stop to gather my thoughts and BOOM someone has to finish my sentence. Most of the time with the wrong answer!!! So what answer did my kids hear..... the wrong one. So it takes a lot more teaching to get the right things in their head.

30. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Apr 27, 2017

My biggest thing is eye rolls or comments about "Well I'll just take a zero..."

Peregrin5 likes this.
  31. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 1, 2017

I feel like nobody can attend to a task, anymore. And I'm only 6 years in...I'm not trying to sound like a crotchety old timer. Just literally, they don't have any work stamina. If there's any kind of multi-step direction it's like...."Wait....what?"

RussianBlueMommy and Caesar753 like this.
  32. sportsguy

sportsguy Rookie

May 1, 2017

The entitlement I see out of students on a daily basis is mind boggling.

MrTempest likes this.