What is the idea behind task cards?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by John Lee, Nov 16, 2014.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 16, 2014

Reading blogs and TPT descriptions, it makes is sound like some revelation. Aren't they just worksheet problems, made into laminated, flashcard form?

I'd like to incorporate something like this as a practice (i.e. I'd like a math "stations" type system), but I don't see why these will be any more/less than just giving kids practice through worksheets and/or practice on iPad (i.e. Khan Academy).

What is so great?

3. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 16, 2014

One of my student teaching mentors used task cards a lot and the kids really loved them. It was a special ed placement and for a lot of them, I think it was just less overwhelming to be looking at one problem at a time as opposed to an entire worksheet filled with problems. Some of them weren't that different than the question on a worksheet might be but they just seemed to find them to be more fun.

This teacher also used them to differentiate. She might have a math station that involved practicing money skills but the station would have different task cards for different students, depending on what level they were working at. One student might have more simplified problems while other students might have tasks that involve a higher level of thinking. I've also seen teachers post different task cards around the room and have students work at one place for a certain amount of time and then move to the next set of task cards. It was just a simple way of having them occasionally getting up and moving around.

I think the versatility is nice. They can easily be used for independent work, in small group instruction, or as partner work. I guess you could say the same for worksheets, but I don't know, the kids I've worked with really like these.

4. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Nov 27, 2014

My students use task cards with clothes pins during my independent work time. We have reading, math, abc, phonics, etc. They could do the same activities with worksheets or possibly through apps on the iPads. The fine motor aspect of using the pins seems to make a difference for them. Somehow they master the skills faster. They also love the activities - multiple choice.
    That is the downfall - coming up with different ways to present questions/skills on the task cards other than straightforward multiple choice.