What is the hardest thing about teaching Special Ed?

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by KindredSpirit83, Nov 19, 2005.

1. bjweyant

bjweyant Rookie

Feb 27, 2006

I have only been teaching in Special Ed for 5 years, and despite the difficulties, it is the only field that I want to teach in. That said, I have found that
    1. the paper work is overwhelming at times but doable,
    2. teaching grade-level standards and material to students functioning 3+ years below grade-level is ridiculous but if modified enough - again - doable,
    3. administration can be condescending, slow on the uptake, and completely lacking in understanding for the battles that we face in the classroom (the trick is to smile, nod your head, and let it flow out the other ear),
    4. most parents care about their children but aren't sure how to work with them,
    5. you don't have to deal too much with those parents who don't care because they never come in for meetings anyway,
    6. Teachers in the gen ed classrooms really don't understand exactly what we do that is so difficult, but they definitely don't want our job.
    7. Mainstreaming/inclusion are the new '4 letter words'.
    8. Students in our rooms are indeed labeled as Mr/Mrs ___________'s kids. (that's ok by me, I will claim them all.) Actually, I overheard one teacher refer to them this way, "Oh God, do we have to include Mrs. W's brats?" My students have fewer behavioral issues that most of their students.
    9. "MY" children are the sweetest, most wonderful children in the world. This includes the ED, LD, ADD, ADHD, OCD, OHI, ODD, MR, borderline MR, and the OOSWR (out of sinc with reality).

There are difficulties in any field that you get into, special ed is not unique in that area, but this is one field where people who love children are desperately needed. We are their parent, nurse, best friend, counselor, giver of hugs,sharer of smiles, teacher, and ... For many of them, we are the only friendly face they might see all day.

Be afraid, be nervous, be whatever...but don't let the fear stop you from teaching this wonderful segment of the school population. THey are the best. Don't look for praise outside your classroom, most of the time you won't find it. But your students smiles, hugs, pictures, and academic/social growth will be a true measure of your effectiveness and caring.

Enjoy.

2. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Feb 27, 2006

Well put bjweyant ;)

3. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Feb 27, 2006

I agree with you 100% and couldn't have said it better myself. I love my Spec. Ed. classroom and my students, even the ones who sometimes make you want to give your head a shake, but I wouldn't trade my room for any other. The paperwork is daunting, the preparation is challenging (and I swear, one day I'm going to write that definitive leveled textbook for Spec. Ed. students and teachers!!!! ;) ) but the rewards are like no other. They truly are my special students, and I really miss them when they leave my program.

4. bjweyant

bjweyant Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

Hi kabd 54,

If you ever figure out how to write a textbook geared to 3rd,4th,and 5th grade students that work anywhere from preK to 5th grade, depending on subject, please let me know. I haven't found one yet. However, I have figured out a system to verify and prove that I actually am presenting grade-level standards to each child. It is combined with a classroom folder system that tracks every piece of work these children are doing and the standard that it relates to. It was a rough go at first, but it is smoother now. (Our district seems to think that a child in the 4th grade, who doesn't yet know numbers or letters, should be taught all LA, Math, Social Science, and Science standards. I am not allowed to tell them they are nuts, so, I try my best.)

I would love a book that covers it all.

Becky

5. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Feb 28, 2006

Wouldn't it be nice if we could tell them just what we think of their "idjit" ideas?:rolleyes:

I think that's why I love Spec. Ed. The IEP allows me to be flexible when it comes to the so-called standards. I teach the subject matter that the mainstream is learning - the Grade 3's will be learning about plants, the Grade 4's about light and sound and my 5's will be learning about states of matter during the next month or so, just like their regular classroom counterparts (I work with the classroom teachers when it comes to planning units). But... the expectations are fewer and the reading is geared to their level, as are the worksheets that I prepare for them. And, do I have worksheets!! :eek:

I'm seriously considering the book angle - mainly because I'm tired of trying to find ALL that material that I need from a gazillion different sources - not to mention the megabucks I've spent on resources!! So, Becky - want to collaborate??? :D

Karin

6. KindredSpirit83

KindredSpirit83 Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

Ok, I talked to a teacher today and she said she stays up until midnight at least three days a week doing paperwork. Is this....average or something??? And why aren't teachers paid more for this type of stuff??

7. wanateach

wanateach Companion

Mar 1, 2006

This brings up a question-first of all to BJ-well said, I totally agree with you on the issue of "they are all my brats" Hope you know what I mean-just that you make it a wonderful, caring accepting environment for them to thrive in-and they have a place where they experience success-that is what I want for my classroom-someday-hopefully soon-I know it is work, it was work way back when, and the burnout was something aweful, just because as soon as you get one where it needs to be, there pops up another one-
    But how many people bring their work home, can you do that legally-or just planning curriculum, and how does it work with the collaboration, do the teachers let you plan for your kids, or do you adjust it according to what they are doing, just sort of wondering how all of that works- thanks for inspiring me. Lori

8. bjweyant

bjweyant Rookie

Mar 1, 2006

As for bringing work home, it depends on IEP schedules and what I am teaching during the week. I have a relatively small class this year and I have been able to get a lot done after school and even during the day (lunch, recess). I don't take as much home this year. However, in the past, I took lots home. I spent hours on weekends doing reports for report cards and IEP's. As for the legality of it. I think that technically we are not supposed to take IEP's home. However, there are times when you have little choice. You just make sure that your 'boss' is aware of it. Mine said that it was OK as long as I kept track of it. We have a bit of a laid back attitude in the Support Services area in this district.

You do what you have to!

9. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Mar 3, 2006

The toughest part about teaching special education

In my opinion another tough part about teaching special education is probably the materials, structure and use of classroom space that you are given by the district. I work with students with moderate/severe autism who could benefit from a classroom structured with a kitchen setting, a laundry area, and possibly a living room area as well. These would be wonderful skills that I could teach in my classroom, but the school doesn't have the funds to set up this type of setting. I am forced to use a more functional academic approach which isn't age-appropriate because they don't make materials at the middle school level to work with children with abilities functioning up to grade 1 at the most. I have to use worksheets that come from elementary school settings because there is no other way to do this quickly. I don't have the time to make my own materials because I do have staff who aren't creative and that's not their fault. We do what we can on a daily basis. I make sure that my students are given a consistent, repetitive routine and they are engaged for a specific amount of time. I also try to use a variety of different learning styles. The first 20 minutes is paper-work (worksheet) and the last 20 minutes of the block is more hands-on activities which are related to the academic area that we are focusing on. The end of the day around 2:00-2:40 is broken down into vocational/daily living hands-on work station activities. My students arrive around 7:50am and they are at school until 2:45pm in the afternoon. It's a very long day for students with moderate/severe autism but they do very well in my structured setting. I have two wonderful staff members who assist as much as possible, but it's very difficult to teach them skills when you have limited staff. Three of my students have to be isolated from the rest of the students or they will argue and fight.