What Is The First Month Like?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by DressageLady, Aug 19, 2013.

1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 19, 2013

I am a recently credentialed teacher who has had no luck finding a job this hiring season. I am in the sub system for one district already and will get into the system of another district in three weeks (after I attend their training). I have had some experience subbing already, but not a whole lot and it was all towards the end of the year (last May).

My question is this: what does the first few weeks of the school year look like? Looking back on my experiences as a student teacher, I don't remember seeing many subs in the building the first 3-4 weeks of the school year.

My expectation is that classroom teachers will be too busy getting everything up and running, they won't want to miss a day unless they absolutely have to. I am thinking that I won't get any calls the first couple of weeks.

What have the more experienced subs here seen during the first few weeks?
    Sheilah

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2013

Classroom teacher here---I would say there generally aren't many absences within the first few weeks of school. Workshops haven't generally started yet, teachers aren't calling in sick yet. Sit tight- you'll be busy soon! :love:

4. Mister Eric

Mister Eric Rookie

Aug 19, 2013

School started here two weeks ago. Week one there were no sub jobs at all, which is not surprising. Week 2 there was one job in total that came through (for me) but future jobs (PD days in the next few months) are starting to come down the pike.

This is now week 3 and I have 2 jobs lined up this week and rejected 2 for this afternoon because they did not call me until after I had given up waiting for jobs and I was already out doing other stuff. It's definitely picking up and will do so for the next few weeks. It gets slower around Christmas, then is super busy through Spring when the nice weather comes in and more teachers start using their "sick" days ;)

Last 2 weeks of school it gets dead again.

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 19, 2013

My Dad is an established sub with a local district (and a retired career teacher) and he is already scheduled for 3 days -- and school hasn't even begun here yet! I hope you get called soon, DressageLady.

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 23, 2013

It's as slow as some of last year's students. ;)

7. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Rookie

Aug 23, 2013

Last year I didn't get any calls until October the 8th. They started on the 26th of August. So I suppose it can be pretty slow. I know my district has like 900 subs so I can imagine quite a bit won't get called for a while.

8. Dr Kevlar

Dr Kevlar Rookie

Aug 23, 2013

While school does not start until this Monday for most districts in this area, a number of the charter schools have started. I already have 2 days in this week.

That said, I am not sure this afternoon counts because I let a group of 4th Graders turn me into the equivalent of the stereotypical sub this afternoon. Things got out of hand early and stayed that way...I was told that the kids in general have been difficult all week. Small consolation that...

The other teachers were teasing me about being back already and have assured me that I won't be a stranger. It is a fairly big school and just one of a number of schools in this particular charter program.

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 23, 2013

Wow 900 subs for your district. How big is your district? If someone wants to sub in my district they have to be interviewed by the principal. They just can't apply and be approved by the board.

10. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Rookie

Aug 23, 2013

31 Elementary Schools
    7 Middle Schools
    4 High Schools
    3 Alternative Schools

The district encompasses 940 miles. It has about 2,082 certified professionals and 900 paraprofessionals. No, most of the time here you will never meet a principal unless they bump into you when your signing in in the morning, walking to and from your class and they see you in the hallway, or something bad happens.

The way they have it now if you refuse like 5 jobs in a row they contact you via phone or make you come into the district and question you as to why you've been missing out on these jobs (never experienced that). If you continue to do that then they remove you from the list and then you are terminated from the job.

When I went to the orientation at the beginning of June they said that they hadn't been firing subs for about a year or so for job refusal but that they were going to start again. They kind of said some words to the effect that since there were so many of us, we were expendable, because they could afford to get rid of some people and also more people will sign up in the future.

11. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 24, 2013

After much consideration, I decided to take a para position as an Educational Aid rather than work as a sub. Although the sub work would have kept me in the classroom as a teacher, it did not give me any benefit if I decided to reapply for the certified hiring pool next year.

As a paraprofessional, I can apply for any certified positions as an internal applicant next year. Considering the fact that this district was able to fill all their teacher openings from the para ranks this hiring season, I figured that was my best strategic move.

I appreciate the responses to my question! You are all such great resources!
    Sheilah

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2013

One wonders why you stay in education.

13. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Aug 28, 2013

Just a tip: as a new sub, you need to get your face out there. Are the secretaries the sub callers? Get dressed up and go visit the schools. Introduce yourself, explain why you're there. They most likely won't give you the time of day, but it will pay off, I promise. If you're in an AESOP situation..... you just have to wait it out. And get up at 5 AM and take a shower because the day you get a call will be the one day you're not ready.

14. Dr Kevlar

Dr Kevlar Rookie

Sep 1, 2013

I second this emotion! At the school I have been subbing at I have been fortunate that they have given me some advance notice. I worked 2 full days the first week of school there and 3.5 days this week. It could have been 4.5 but I had 2 interviews Wednesday.

At the district I worked at last year the call would typically come that morning at 5:15/5:30A...

15. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 17, 2013

DressageLady - that's cool that you decided to be a para. I was about to say that when I started last year, it was very slow as anything and didn't start working until October and only got 4 jobs for that month (then along came Hurricane Sandy where I got busy as anything!). Thankfully I had student teaching to fill up days that I weren't subbing. I'm not full time just yet and still need to sub, which again is slow, but I'm getting a few jobs because I was in the system for over a year, I'm a certified teacher, and schools that know me are trying to hook me up as much as they can. Sofar I worked two days (school started last Monday), and sofar I got anther assignment on Friday. As I said, it really has to do with how long you worked as a sub and getting your face out there. The jobs keep coming as the months go by, though, and it gets better. There was a point where I had to reject jobs because I was already working!!!

Anyway, as someone who is certified in special ed, best of luck with the para job! I think it will be very beneficial for you. Sometimes I even wonder why I didn't take the para route. Guess I wanted to lead a classroom asap :)

HeatherY - I get ready every single day. I have makeup on...and I didn't get a call so I'm back in bed :( But I have gotten late calls sometimes and it is always beneficial to be ready and prepared :) And I also went to schools to hand in my résumé (for full-time, but some were nice and told me that if I have a file number, I can be put on the sub list).