What is the dress code for teachers at your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Jun 5, 2013.

1. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

Copied straight from my districts website:

ACCEPTABLE (Supervisor may consider setting higher standards.)
    Clothing should have adequate coverage to allow a full range of movement without skin or undergarments showing.

Monday – Thursday
    Business casual. Examples include:
    Collared shirts
    Dress Sport Shirts
    Slacks in non-denim material
    Docker/Khaki slacks
    Collarless knit shirts or blouses
    Dresses/skirts/ – no more than 3” above the knee
    Skorts/colored/non faded blue denim skirts – no more than 3” above the knee
    Pantsuits, slacks, shirts, blouses
    Clean and neat shoes
    Tennis shoes if clean and neat
    Sandals – Leather or leather like with or without backstraps

Friday – Spirit Day – All dress on acceptable list, in addition
    Jeans, blue and colored
    T-shirts with school logo or school related information
    Shorts/Above knee capris – no more than 3” above the knee
    Blue Denim Skirts/Skorts – no more than 3” above the knee
    Overalls, not denim

UNACCEPTABLE
    Torn, frayed or disheveled clothing
    Shorts that are shorter than 3” above knee
    Athletic wear including sweat suits and spandex pants
    Leggings, tights
    Parachute pants
    Sagging pants
    Screen logo t-shirts with illegal substances and inappropriate language
    Suggestive attire
    Low cut tops/spaghetti straps/tank tops
    Sheer body clinging fabrics/sheer fabrics
    Visible bra straps/panties
    Mini skirts (all skirts must be no more than 3” above the knee )
    Flip-flops (beach, shower, rubber or plastic)
    The District discourages visible tattoos and piercings other than ears.

2. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

We are business casual-ish. Sandals are fine, but no flip flops. Capris or long shorts (dressy) are fine. Next year we get jeans on Fridays :) Most people do pants and a cute top.

3. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

You know, at both of the schools I've taught at, we never had a formal dress code. Something about CA law requiring a uniform stipend if there was an "official" dress code. Usually, it's business casual, but people take that in so many different directions. Female teachers wearing very form fitting dresses with stiletto heels. Or, teachers wearing faded jeans, "school spirit" shirts and crocs. Yikes.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 5, 2013

I don't get the no leggings or tights restriction. :confused:

I'm assuming they mean not to wear them in place of pants. Otherwise, that one confuses me.

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 5, 2013

I don't know if we even have a dress code :whistle: A couple teachers wear dresses about half the time, most of the rest of us wear slacks most days and jeans once or twice a week with staff shirts. Occasionally you might see capris or flip-flops, depending on the weather and what's going on that day at school.

6. microbe

microbe Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

I'm assuming that's what they mean too. I see a lot of students doing it more frequently now and I've actually seen one elementary school teacher doing it.

I'm guessing that it's fine as long as you wear a skirt or something over them.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 5, 2013

We don't have a dress code. It's a very small school, so small that high school and junior high is combined and it's still small (7 teachers with classrooms and other staff). Most teachers wear jeans with something very casual, or jeans and something nice, there is really only me and another teacher who dresses up. Other staff (office, P, counselors, etc) varies the same way.
    I do wear jeans on Friday or whenever our students have 'free dress day' (Fridays and these last 4 days of school)
    I could dress down and wear jeans every day, but I don't like it, can't really say why. Also I have a lot more dressy / casual dressy clothes than jeans. I have 3 pairs of jeans but over 15 skirts with several matching tops and cardigans. And it's been hot lately, and will be even hotter in September / October, I'd be miserable in jeans.

8. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Jun 5, 2013

I'm pretty sure our district has an official dress code. Not sure what it is.
    Our P's rule is a little different. He tells us, "If you wouldn't want to see your child's teacher in it, don't wear it."
    The only exception to this rule is when we have Senators, company representatives, or high-ranking district personnel visiting which happens about once a month (we're a low-income, extremely high ESL, very high performing school. People are curious on what we do + we're a technology pilot school). When we have visitors they ask for ties and dress slacks for men and skirts or dresses for women, or at the very least very nice dress slacks.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 5, 2013

We're business casual. No open toed shoes of any kind. No jeans ever. On Fridays we can wear our union shirt which is a collared polo shirt, but still with business casual pants.

Our students have a dress code as well which is a collared shirt and khakis or other uniform type bottoms. Though the bottoms has gotten more lax this year and pretty much as long as it's not blue jeans or sweats, it's fine.

10. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

We're very casual. Sandals, capris, jeans on Fridays (but several teachers wear them throughout the week). I dress up a bit more... Usually slacks, a nice blouse and flats. Sometimes dresses, especially now that it's so hot!

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

We wear pretty much what we like. Some of the men wear jeans all the time. Most of the women wear dress pants or capris. We can certainly wear open-toed shoes, and stockings are never required.

12. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

My school is very casual and laid back. A few teachers even wear flip flops.

13. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

We're pretty casual. We wear flip flops, sandals, capris, etc. We weren't allowed to wear jeans until this school year. Even now it's only once every other week with a monetary donation.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 5, 2013

It's pretty casual except for no jeans. Any shoes are okay. No tank tops or short skirts. On Fridays jeans are allowed, but you have to wear a school shirt with them. No denim the rest of the week, even if it's a denim skirt or something.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 5, 2013

No dress code whatsoever.

I've worked with men who wear sweatpants or shorts/flip flops every day (no--none of them are P.E. teachers).

Generally, I wear a shirt and tie each day (unless it's 100+ degrees...those days, I wear a polo and slacks). Friday is my casual day--jeans and school spirit shirt.

As far as women go--I've seen super cute outfits (skirts with a blouse/spring-type dresses/slacks with a blouse) and super inappropriate outfits (very short shorts, tank top, and flip flops).

Personally, I believe that if you'd wear it to the beach, you shouldn't wear it to work (again--that's just my humble opinion).