What is the dress code for teachers at your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Jun 5, 2013.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 7, 2013

Yep--my district, too.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  2. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Jun 7, 2013

My first two years I wore a suit and tie, even though it was a behavior unit. I called it my Alpha Dog uniform. It helped my confidence a lot. At the beginning of my second year my VP told me not to wear a tie because it was a safety hazard with these kids. That lasted a week. I wasn't as confident and the students sensed it. Within a week I was back in a suit and tie.

Now I am more comfortable in my role as teacher and wear dockers and golf shirts, but the clothes really did make the man in the beginning.

3. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Jun 7, 2013

The word "appropriate" is too ambiguous. It leaves the door wide open to interpretation. Even you don't agree with some fellow teachers about leggings, for example. I don't see anything wrong with a dress code. Perhaps a school somewhere should try requiring teachers to design their own code.

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 7, 2013

Wow. I hope I don't sound judgmental, but I simply cannot picture a female teacher in short shorts and a tank top - or a male teacher in sweats and flip flops. I can imagine it would be difficult for the kids to look at that teacher as a person of authority - especially in the upper grades.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 7, 2013

This.

6. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2013

My dress code is shorts and any "gator" shirt I choose to wear that day. When it gets hot I wear the sleeveless t shirts to survive. Tennis shoes and ankle socks complete the deal. I love teaching PE.
    I put on some long pants one day and kid said, "You have on pants, coach" Record cold that week.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 7, 2013

We don't really have a teacher dress code. We all just kind of dress appropriately, and the admin trusts us to make good judgments. For instance, I've been told time and again that it is perfectly alright to show my tattoo, but I prefer not to because I think I would lose some small measure of professionalism. I've only shown it at the picnic when we were going to be out in the sun all day and I had no choice but to wear a short sleeve t-shirt and when I played on the teacher kick-ball team. Thanks to the powers of the internet, and the picture on my wall of me at a research lab, all of the kids pretty much knew I had a tattoo since day one.

When they ask me why I hide it I just tell them I prefer not to show it because I want to maintain professionalism at my job. Surprisingly, they accept that very well (or maybe they just are a bit stunned because they don't understand what that means). A running gag I do is I deny the existence of it and say all the pictures of me with a tattoo are just face-paint I got on my arm at a carnival near the research facility, or the day before the picnic, etc. xP There are a lot of carnivals apparently.

8. flojo

flojo Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

In New Zealand, my schools didn't have dress codes, but the culture of each school was different. In my first school, its was pretty much anything goes. We had a heatwave and teachers would commonly wear shorts and tank tops. Flip flops and jeans were also common.

My second school was a bit more formal. Still no official dress code, but teachers tended to be more smart/ business casual.

In Japan it's stricter with modesty (nothing sleeveless, 'low cut' mean something different, nothing above the knee). In a junior high it tends to be smart casual or tracksuits.
    In elementary and special needs, it tends to be tracksuits, especially brand name tracksuits.

9. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

I have worked in schools with dress codes for teachers and schools without. Regardless, I have always worn dress pants, dress shirts and ties. On certain days (conferences, ceremonies), I add a sport coat. The exception would be specific dress down days or extraordinarily hot days. Then I wear guayabera- type shirts.

I know it's a small thing, but I like to look professional at work.

10. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2013

We also don't have a dress code, but most teachers dress appropriately.

We can wear jeans any day of the week, but most people usually only wear them on Friday. I usually wear jeans on Friday, and have worn jeans on another day of the week only a few times this year.

On other days of the week, I usually wear dress pants with flats and a nice top or cardigan. Otherwise, I wear dresses (with tights in the winter). Most of the other teachers dress similarly. Even though we don't have a specific dress code, all of the teachers I encounter dress professionally. However, flip flops are allowed, and in the summer, most of us do wear flip flops and open toed sandals.

11. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 8, 2013

Ours is just "professional dress." No shorts (except for the PE teacher). No flipflops or beachwear style shoes. We are restricted by the same dress code standards for the kids as far as the length of skirts and straps on dresses/blouses.

We do jeans on Fridays if you wear either the school colors or a school spirited shirt.

No requirements on hosiery or anything, but I tend to wear tights whenever I am wearing a dress or skirt (except recently as it has gotten too hot for all of that!). Mostly because of how pale I am! I look like a little ghost in my black skirts without tights.

12. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 12, 2013

Business casual. We have spirit wear day once a month, and jeans day once a month if we pay to wear the jeans. The money is part of a breast cancer fund raiser.

13. richard_baker123

richard_baker123 New Member

Dec 18, 2019

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2019

Business casual except on spirit days, which tend to be one day a week. Our footwear, however, can be sneakers, based on the students that we work with. Heels would actually be considered a hazard, since they could be weaponized.

15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2019

We are very casual. I sometimes dress up (skirt or a dress) but I usually wear colored jeans and a top. I never wear dress pants. I could wear jeans every day if I wanted to (some people do.) I will probably once I get tenure! :)

16. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Dec 19, 2019

Where I work, the PE teachers tend to wear a t-shirt and shorts during mowing season! Lots of jeans and t-shirts for everyone else. Gosh, even the P wears casual clothing on occasion! Ladies sometimes wear open-toed. The P once said that you’re fine as long as it doesn’t look like you just come from a party.

stephenpe likes this.
  17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 19, 2019

Casual. There's a chance we'd ruin good clothes on any given day so I don't dress up.

18. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Dec 20, 2019

Very casual. No stated dress code. Some days, I feel like dressing up more and wear a dress or dress pants and a blouse. Other days, I wear (nice) dark jeans with boots and a top. It just depends what I'm feeling like each day. We have teachers who wear tennis shoes regularly, flip flops when it's hot, jeans are seen on the regular, etc.

19. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 20, 2019

My last district had a fairly well defined dress code. Men were expected to wear dress shirts with ties or polos, and women had a lot of leeway -- but no shorts, no jeans (ever), and tops had to be modest (extremely modest.) Capris were fine. No sneakers. We were told no sandals or open-toed shoes, but almost all of the women-teachers ignored this rules daily. They just couldn't enforce it, so they finally said if you broke the rule and you had a foot injury, it was on you. (Of course, I don't think they could have enforced that, either.) Jeans were a "no" even on dress-down days (which was a real bummer.) Of course, the PE teacher was allowed to wear shorts, sweats, or windsuits with tennis shoes.

20. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Dec 20, 2019

With this post starting over 6 years ago, I wonder if the dress code in some of these places has changed. I know the dress code at my school is relaxing. I can wear jeans every Friday now, where that was not the case 6 years ago.