What is the dress code for teachers at your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 5, 2013

Just curious. Mine is pretty conservative. I understand it, although sometimes I do long for casual Fridays.

This is our dress code:

- Dress must be professional, at least business casual. Men wear ties, collared shirts, dress pants. Women wear blouses, skirts (not short) or dress pants.

- Jeans and denim are not permitted except for school spirit days - about once a month - or special occasions like Field Day.

- No open shoes or sandals. Shoes must have a closed toe and closed back.

This one is the killer:

- Socks or hosiery must be worn at all times. Even if you are wearing long pants, you must have knee highs or socks on with your shoes.

I am curious about others because I took a personal day today to go to my son's elementary school graduation and I saw the teachers wearing capri pants and sandals - things would never fly at my school.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2013

Our dress code policy is much more liberal than yours. Capris, sandals, jeans--they're all okay here. Most teachers go for business casual or spirit wear (jeans and school polo, t-shirt, or hoodie).

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 5, 2013

Capris, yes. Jeans, no. Khakis, yes. Wind suits, not just no--but h___ no!

Jeans and school shirts only Fridays.

Sandals, ok.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 5, 2013

Ours is simple, and should be common sense if you ask me.
    1. no jeans
    2. no tank tops
    3. no shorts
    4. no t-shirts
    5. no visible undergarments
    6. no short skirts
    7. no sweat pants, track suits, or yoga pants
    8. no flip flops
    9. no visible cleavage

Men must wear a collared shirt.

We didn't have a dress code at all until a couple of years ago. I wore jeans from time to time in winter. Other than that, I never noticed the change.

In winter I wear slacks, boots or heels, and blouse with jacket or sweater. In warm months I wear cropped pants, some capris, sandals or heels, blouse, and some lightweight cardigans. I'm not a fan of dresses or skirts. I wear them rarely. I never wear collared shirts or button down shirts or polo shirts. They look awful on me. I also avoid khakis because they look dumpy & wrinkly on me.

I don't like casual Friday either. I think it's either okay or not okay. To me it says it is fine o be unprofessional on Friday.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

This. I do spirit wear 90% of the time.

7. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

Oh man I went from a school with a business (semi-casual) dress code (slacks/khakis, blouse, flats) to a school with a very casual dress code. Many people where jeans & sneakers, which I can't really get myself to do, even after two years. I'll wear jeans, but then I'll have a blouse & some nice flats.

I will say, on those days where you just don't know what to wear, I am thankful for our casual code!

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2013

All the elementary schools around here don't seem to have one - if it is, it's probably in line with what students are allowed to wear (granted, I sub right now, so I just might not have heard of one).

Myself, I always wear a nice pair of slacks (black/blue/light brown), and then some collared/button up shirt, though with no tie (can't stand them except on special occasions/interviews!). Occasionally, if I am subbing on a fun day, I'll wear something different...but that's only happened a couple times. For example, I wore "PJs" on the last day of school last year since I had been subbing in a class that week and we were doing a PJ/reading day. And I wore jeans & our class t-shirt, tucked in, during my student teaching year when doing the jog-a-thon. I'm pretty safe with what I do :p

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2013

We have uniforms- school issued shirts with dark (preferably black) dress pants. But it's extremely lax because not all the teachers have the white shirts. So lots of teachers wear whatever they want.

I think out of all the teachers here, I dress the most formal. Lots of teachers wear flip flops, shorts, even halter tops or tube tops. It's a cultural thing.

10. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

No denim shirts, capris, jeans, jackets. Jeans or capris on Spirit Days. I wish we could wear jean trousers (like the Dockers type) but it's a no-no.

No dressy shorts and no skirts above the knee.

No wind pants, sweatpants, or lounge pants

No hooded jackets or vests.

Then common sense like no cleavage, etc.

The hosiery thing would kill me.

My school went to a student dress code about five years ago. It was hit with MAJOR opposition from parents and staff. Parents still complain about it and gripe because the teachers don't have to abide by the student dress code - like teachers don't have to tuck their shirt in, can wear sandals, etc. I honestly think it's only a matter of time before faculty is expected to dress by the students' dress code, which I can't get on board with. I'm a little on the chubby side, and there's not way in h*ll I'm going to feel comfortable tucking my shirt in. :mad:

Beth

11. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

We dress business casual for the most part. Jeans are only allowed maybe once a month and usually we pay $5 toward a fundraiser for the privilege. We can wear our school spirit wear, which includes hoodies and t-shirts, at any time. No sweats except for field day, no shorts ever.

They're pretty relaxed about footwear. You won't usually see us in tennis shoes, although I don't think admin would say anything, but flip-flops and sandals are fine.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 5, 2013

We can wear the denim slacks if they are dark, once they start fading they go to jeans status. We do get jeans at least a couple of times a month. No tank tops or spaghetti straps, but nice sleeveless are ok. (Most wear shrugs or scarves with them.) The flip flop debate rages here every year. Many of the teachers by the yellow box or other similar sandals which are expensive and nice looking. So they have said if the sandal goes between your toes, it can't have a rubber sole. Honestly, though, it's never been a huge issue. Most of our teachers dress really nicely. We do get 5 jeans passes when we pay our courtesy committee fees. The only rule on those is we can't wear them on awards days, parent conferences, etc. Often, when we use those we are dressed nicer than other days.

13. microbe

microbe Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

The subs in my district are strongly encouraged to dress professionally, but I've never actually seen them enforce the sub dress code. I always dress professionally, slacks or a long skirt with a button up blouse and vest over it. I already get mistaken for a student (middle and high school) and wearing jeans to work would be begging to be sent to the office (again). Almost all subs I bump into are dressed professionally, but the older age subs tend to dress more casual. I even saw one sub wearing her PJs to work!

While the dress code is typically not enforced, all subs did receive a mass email from one school stating that subs MUST wear khakis like the students do. I always had rough days at this school and it was quite the drive for me, so I just opted to never work there again as I felt their email was a tad disrespectful (and I don't own any khakis).

It was a surprising move on their part considering there is a sub shortage and they're one of the "rougher" schools. The administration probably didn't care if they made it more difficult for their teachers to find subs. :(

14. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

Jeans and t-shirts are allowed only on Fridays, and only then if no special events are going on.

Skirts must be fingertip length even if worn with leggings.

No jeans on field day, field trips, or other events where parents are present unless absolutely necessary (i.e. field trip to pumpkin patch/farm that Kindergarten takes).

This year, they added a line about no "beach style" flip flops, which our Super says means "the kind you buy at Dollar General for a dollar or two." It's up to Ps to interpret this policy however they want; I tested the waters with some of my nicer flip-flops (non-rubber) and no one said anything to me about them. So I am assuming they are OK.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 5, 2013

This is obviously only for in-person meetings. For professional development, business casual is required and school-issued shirts are suggested (which I rarely do). For graduation or other ceremonies, business formal. Some meetings offer the chance to pay $5 for the right to wear denim, with the money going to the Prom Fund. I'll do that on occasion depending on whether I have cash on hand.

Obviously, actual classroom time is completely up in the air, provided we don't turn on our web cameras.

16. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jun 5, 2013

Business causal. I wear slacks and a nice shirt except during the warm months when I wear capris (nice slack-like capris) and a nice shirt. Wednesday are business causal with jeans. Friday is spirit day (jeans and a spirit shirt).

We can wear jeans on special occasions--field trips, spirit weeks, playoffs, etc.

If the students can't wear it, we can't wear it (like spaghetti straps).

Flip flops became a big issue last year. The elem teachers wanted the student dress code changed to ban them (safety issue on the playground). I teach middle/high school and the girls practically live in them and that's something I don't want to police. That went away when the Super said that if we put it into the student dress code then it went into the professional dress code. I wear Toms the vast majority of the time.

17. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

Copied straight from my districts website:

ACCEPTABLE (Supervisor may consider setting higher standards.)
    Clothing should have adequate coverage to allow a full range of movement without skin or undergarments showing.

Monday – Thursday
    Business casual. Examples include:
    Collared shirts
    Dress Sport Shirts
    Slacks in non-denim material
    Docker/Khaki slacks
    Collarless knit shirts or blouses
    Dresses/skirts/ – no more than 3” above the knee
    Skorts/colored/non faded blue denim skirts – no more than 3” above the knee
    Pantsuits, slacks, shirts, blouses
    Clean and neat shoes
    Tennis shoes if clean and neat
    Sandals – Leather or leather like with or without backstraps

Friday – Spirit Day – All dress on acceptable list, in addition
    Jeans, blue and colored
    T-shirts with school logo or school related information
    Shorts/Above knee capris – no more than 3” above the knee
    Blue Denim Skirts/Skorts – no more than 3” above the knee
    Overalls, not denim

UNACCEPTABLE
    Torn, frayed or disheveled clothing
    Shorts that are shorter than 3” above knee
    Athletic wear including sweat suits and spandex pants
    Leggings, tights
    Parachute pants
    Sagging pants
    Screen logo t-shirts with illegal substances and inappropriate language
    Suggestive attire
    Low cut tops/spaghetti straps/tank tops
    Sheer body clinging fabrics/sheer fabrics
    Visible bra straps/panties
    Mini skirts (all skirts must be no more than 3” above the knee )
    Flip-flops (beach, shower, rubber or plastic)
    The District discourages visible tattoos and piercings other than ears.

18. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

We are business casual-ish. Sandals are fine, but no flip flops. Capris or long shorts (dressy) are fine. Next year we get jeans on Fridays :) Most people do pants and a cute top.

19. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

You know, at both of the schools I've taught at, we never had a formal dress code. Something about CA law requiring a uniform stipend if there was an "official" dress code. Usually, it's business casual, but people take that in so many different directions. Female teachers wearing very form fitting dresses with stiletto heels. Or, teachers wearing faded jeans, "school spirit" shirts and crocs. Yikes.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 5, 2013

I don't get the no leggings or tights restriction. :confused:

I'm assuming they mean not to wear them in place of pants. Otherwise, that one confuses me.

21. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 5, 2013

I don't know if we even have a dress code :whistle: A couple teachers wear dresses about half the time, most of the rest of us wear slacks most days and jeans once or twice a week with staff shirts. Occasionally you might see capris or flip-flops, depending on the weather and what's going on that day at school.

22. microbe

microbe Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

I'm assuming that's what they mean too. I see a lot of students doing it more frequently now and I've actually seen one elementary school teacher doing it.

I'm guessing that it's fine as long as you wear a skirt or something over them.

23. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 5, 2013

We don't have a dress code. It's a very small school, so small that high school and junior high is combined and it's still small (7 teachers with classrooms and other staff). Most teachers wear jeans with something very casual, or jeans and something nice, there is really only me and another teacher who dresses up. Other staff (office, P, counselors, etc) varies the same way.
    I do wear jeans on Friday or whenever our students have 'free dress day' (Fridays and these last 4 days of school)
    I could dress down and wear jeans every day, but I don't like it, can't really say why. Also I have a lot more dressy / casual dressy clothes than jeans. I have 3 pairs of jeans but over 15 skirts with several matching tops and cardigans. And it's been hot lately, and will be even hotter in September / October, I'd be miserable in jeans.

24. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Jun 5, 2013

I'm pretty sure our district has an official dress code. Not sure what it is.
    Our P's rule is a little different. He tells us, "If you wouldn't want to see your child's teacher in it, don't wear it."
    The only exception to this rule is when we have Senators, company representatives, or high-ranking district personnel visiting which happens about once a month (we're a low-income, extremely high ESL, very high performing school. People are curious on what we do + we're a technology pilot school). When we have visitors they ask for ties and dress slacks for men and skirts or dresses for women, or at the very least very nice dress slacks.

25. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 5, 2013

We're business casual. No open toed shoes of any kind. No jeans ever. On Fridays we can wear our union shirt which is a collared polo shirt, but still with business casual pants.

Our students have a dress code as well which is a collared shirt and khakis or other uniform type bottoms. Though the bottoms has gotten more lax this year and pretty much as long as it's not blue jeans or sweats, it's fine.

26. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

We're very casual. Sandals, capris, jeans on Fridays (but several teachers wear them throughout the week). I dress up a bit more... Usually slacks, a nice blouse and flats. Sometimes dresses, especially now that it's so hot!

27. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 5, 2013

We wear pretty much what we like. Some of the men wear jeans all the time. Most of the women wear dress pants or capris. We can certainly wear open-toed shoes, and stockings are never required.

28. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

My school is very casual and laid back. A few teachers even wear flip flops.

29. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 5, 2013

We're pretty casual. We wear flip flops, sandals, capris, etc. We weren't allowed to wear jeans until this school year. Even now it's only once every other week with a monetary donation.

30. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

It's pretty casual except for no jeans. Any shoes are okay. No tank tops or short skirts. On Fridays jeans are allowed, but you have to wear a school shirt with them. No denim the rest of the week, even if it's a denim skirt or something.

31. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 5, 2013

No dress code whatsoever.

I've worked with men who wear sweatpants or shorts/flip flops every day (no--none of them are P.E. teachers).

Generally, I wear a shirt and tie each day (unless it's 100+ degrees...those days, I wear a polo and slacks). Friday is my casual day--jeans and school spirit shirt.

As far as women go--I've seen super cute outfits (skirts with a blouse/spring-type dresses/slacks with a blouse) and super inappropriate outfits (very short shorts, tank top, and flip flops).

Personally, I believe that if you'd wear it to the beach, you shouldn't wear it to work (again--that's just my humble opinion).

32. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2013

We don't have one. People wear a wide range of things. Lots of jeans. But also lots of dress pants, skirts, dresses. I'll wear jeans one day and a nice dress the next. Certain days like parent teacher conferences or for observations people seem to all dress up. No one wears shorts- except bermuda shorts, usually down to the knee.

A few people will wear velour sweatsuits on a Friday. (It's the same 3 or 4 teachers that do it.) THAT I think is pushing it.

The principal has mentioned stuff about not wearing open toes shoes but it's really not enforced. I wear them all the time once it gets hot out. I won't really wear sneakers just because that's not my style, unless it's a field trip.

33. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Jun 6, 2013

This is us, too

34. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 6, 2013

We have a wide range. I don't know if there is a specific dress code. In the winter I usually wear dress pants and a blouse or sweater. Now that it's warmer I wear skirts, dresses and capris pants.

35. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 6, 2013

This is pretty much ours, except men and women can wear t-shirts, although I've only ever seen people wearing the school shirts. And the biggest difference - we can wear jeans. I don't wear them very much. When people wear jeans, though, they typically wear darker jeans with nicer shoes and shirts - not t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers, except on field trip days. I think it's kind of an unwritten rule that jeans and school t shirts are more acceptable on Fridays, but it's never been explicitly stated and people wear them other days as well.

The only part of our dress code that bugs me is that we must wear closed toe, closed back shoes. Recently - I think this year? - they began allowing peep toe shoes. I would really love to wear sandals in the hot months, because it does get VERY hot where I work. I do get that it's a safety issue, but still...

I do appreciate that people tend to look professional at my school. I've never seen anyone dressing "questionably" or wearing things that are too tight/too low/too short. Our administrators are always dressed very nicely. My principal always wears a suit.

36. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2013

I work in a district with a strong Union and the Union explicitly states that no school can enforce a dress code as long as teacher wear is appropriate. I worked at a school where the AP often stated that she wish she could tell teachers what to wear due to a lack of "cohesive professionalism" but she knew that the Union was not having it.

At my school anything goes. Jeans, leggings, sneakers, open toed-sandals, sleeveless tops/tanks tops (that show off tattoos), sweat pants (usually only the male teachers), deep cut tops, short skirts, t-shits, et. Even our female Admin wears jeans a few times a week. Now, some teachers are more semi-formal (slacks, dress shirt, no sneakers), but we have a very young staff and we pretty much wear what we want. I am all for it except for the leggings - I do not think that young female teachers (working at a grades 6-12 school) wearing skin-tight colored "pants" is always the best.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  37. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2013

I think we have the same thing with our union, but I could be wrong.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  38. dreamcat

dreamcat Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

My school is "business casual" Monday-Thursday: we cannot wear jeans and should look like we care about the professional aspect. We cannot wear open toed shoes ever because of the hazards it causes; the school is for autistic students and many are aggressive. Fridays we are allowed jeans and t-shirts. Tank tops are allowed as long as they are still classy.

39. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2013

As far as I know there is no formal dress code. The expectation is basically do not show anything that shouldn't be shown.

40. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 6, 2013

This is something I'm struggling with right now as I prepare for next year. When I student taught I was with a very professional/experienced teacher who wore a tie/dress pants and dress shoes every day. So I dressed this way too and honestly I liked it. I think it helped me gain my students respect, especially since I was a young teacher.

The school I'm going to be teaching at is a lot less formal. I've observed a few times and the teachers were wearing jeans, t-shirts(school shirts though), tennis shoes, ect. I think I'm going to keep the professional dress but I dont want to seem stuffy/stuck up either. Guess I'll just adjust as needed. I already have the professional wardrobe so I won't buy anything right away anyway.

41. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2013

I can live without wearing jeans. But if it's over 80 degrees, I'm wearing shorts.