What is THE Dr. Jean book you'd recommend?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cinlo, Aug 30, 2009.

1. cinlo

cinlo Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

This will be my first year to teach pre-school. I have several of Dr. Jean's CD's. I'm more interested in ideas for class books, centers, and organization rather than music/song ideas. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2009

That is a good question. I have been to her conference and loved it and use the materials from that and a lot of her CDs. I have one of the Teaching Tunes books which have mini books I used for awhile but I have extremely limited copying this year so that's out.

Mostly, I suggest going to her website and getting so many of the good ideas both from Dr. Jean and other teachers:

http://www.drjean.org/html/activityPg.html

Have fun!

4. elliemay

elliemay Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

I agree with scmom! Her website is fantastic. There are books that can be printed--I have printed quite a few.

For class book ideas I have used the following:

Beginning of year: Teacher, Teacher who do you see? Use for class only as we do not have a principle, etc.

October: Firefighters, Firefighters who do you see? A firetruck comes to our school. I make sure I get the whole class with one firefighter, each child in the seat of the fire truck, several firefighters only, and the fire truck leaving. The children love this!

A guess who I am book: Take individual pics of each child. One facing backward and one forward. The backward facing pic would have clues written/typed on the page. For example, my favorite food, color, etc. Another page following would say: "I am ________" with their pic facing forward.

I love classroom books! The children love reading them. We also do a class ABC book with separate pages for each letter of the alphabet and magazine clippings/drawings of things that begin with that letter.

Hope this helps some.

5. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Aug 30, 2009

My favorite books of Dr. Jean is a four book set that I got through scholastic --- it is her "Best of " books --art, circle time, and two others can't remember but I have also seen them at teacher stores and they have lots of good ideas