What is the Deal with Star Wars ??

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by TeacherShelly, May 1, 2008.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 1, 2008

My daughters are in Kindergarten and I just finished a term student teaching in a K/1. It seems like there is a near mania among the K boys for Star Wars. They've seen them all, every artwork has to have at least one light saber in it, and all free play involves Star Wars themes.

Is this everywhere or am I just lucky? Heh! Star Wars was not for 5 year olds when I was a kid....

3. MrH

MrH Rookie

May 1, 2008

I think it's different for every class. The boys in my class love the WWE wrestlers - and that is what motivates them to do work. Use it for your advantage!

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 1, 2008

I have some that love Star Wars too. Mine really love some Star Wars Lego video game and they have the lego sets too. I have several that quote Alvin and the Chipmunks movie each day as well :eek:

5. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

May 1, 2008

My kids don't even mention Star Wars! It is funny how each group is different. This year my boys love Spiderman and transformers. As for my girls, it is all about Hannah Montana. They wear Hannah Montana clothes head to toe!

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 1, 2008

Yes, these guys love that Star Wars Lego video game. I thought they were jumbling their thoughts when they said so during "sharing," but I should know their thoughts are crystal clear when it comes to Star Wars ! :lol:

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 1, 2008

Mine LOVE Star Wars too! They write about it, draw it, talk about it! Its kinda cute!

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 1, 2008

I wish I could see some stats - it is so interesting that Star Wars mania among the very young may be a regional thing.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 1, 2008

So, doing some research (aka googling) I think this obsession has to do with two things: collections and action. Star Wars was the first big "merchandising" effort by the movie industry, and it still owns it. The idea of collecting things is pretty universal among young children. Plus, there's the action.

On another note, I found two movie recommendations that I'll check out: Duma and King of Masks. Google is my friend. :)

10. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

May 2, 2008

Students in both the am and pm classes are into Spiderman, but the morning class likes to play Transformers. I should get familiar with the characters, but I usually go home and ask my husband about it!

11. Teacher_Man

Teacher_Man Rookie

May 2, 2008

I student taught in Kinder last year and the boys were all into Star Wars too... I think people underestimate of kid-friendly the most recent trilogy was. It's like it introduced a whole new generation to the Star Wars phenomenon...

12. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

May 2, 2008

Like Tasha, right now Alvin and the Chipmunks is big in my room. In fact, I WANTED to see the movie....now....I'm not sure I do because I'm SURE to scream the next time I hear "bow-chicka-wow-wow!!" Spongebob is another biggie in my room.

13. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

May 3, 2008

Star Wars and Spiderman is also big in my classroom. I have a group of parents who seem not to screen their child's TV watching, so I have been asked several times if I saw Family Guy last night (by kiddoes!). Weird. I didn't watch Family Guy till I got married.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 3, 2008

KinderMissN ~ I know what you mean. I've heard everything when asking a kid what their favorite TV show is. "Sponge Bob," and, "I don't have one," with a quizzical look, from a kid without TV.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 3, 2008

That is a "bad word" in my class! NO ONE is allowed to say that in my room ever again. they even tell each other "we can only say that in lunch or recess because Mrs. X will get mad!" :lol:

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 3, 2008

My nephew will be going to kinder next year. He is in love with Star Wars. It doesn't help that my brother wanted to walk down the aisle to Darth Vader's theme for his wedding! :woot: They got a Wii for Christmas with a Star Wars light saber game, and my dad was killed several times by my nephew. :)

17. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

May 4, 2008

I just remembered. Speed Racer hits theaters next Friday. I have a feeling that will the "in" thing.

I also have tons of Sponge Bob interested students. It's really sad that they don't watch educational TV anymore. What happened to Sesame Street?

18. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

May 11, 2008

One of my preschool boys is really into Star Wars. The rest of the class has no idea what he is talking about. The other day he told me I looked like Princess Leia. I am not sure if I should be happy or cry...

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 11, 2008

I'm sure it was meant as a compliment! :)

Unless you've got her hairstyle... then it may have a stronger meaning (hahaha!)

20. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

May 11, 2008

My husband is a huge fan of Star Wars. Our wedding photographer is a cousin of Carrie Fischer (the actress who played Princess Leia). Needless to say, the photographer was my husbands favorite wedding vendor!

21. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

May 12, 2008

For my boys it is any superhero type movie: Transformers, Batman, Superman. I even heard them today talking about seeing Ironman. All of these movies I don't think are really appropriate for 5-6 year olds but they are marketing the toys to them so of course they want to see the movie. And yes that lego star wars video game is the reason they all know about it. One of my boys brought a talking Yoda doll to show and tell and the other boys went crazy.

22. little317

little317 Groupie

May 12, 2008

Its all about the superheroes in my class too. Mostly it's Spiderman, Transformers, and yes....Star Wars. This one boy in my class writes about Spiderman every time just about when I give a free writing prompt.

23. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

May 12, 2008

My boys (2-3 year olds) LOVE power rangers. They have gotten some of the girls into it as well.

24. KDS

KDS Companion

May 13, 2008

My husband was looking for a video game that he and our kindergartener could play together and that is how they became star wars fans (thru the lego game)...now it is Star Wars mania in our house...Taylors kinder teacher has emailed once or twice with questions...lol

for halloween, he was a Storm Trooper ...they were supposed to be a book character...we had sent a book with Taylor...and some kid made fun of Taylor for his costume...the teacher got upset and made the boy sit in a corner during story time...oy

25. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

May 14, 2008

Spiderman is it in my class. And I'm in Africa. I downplay it because the most artistic kids in the class did nothing but Spiderman pictures for a month. Enough is enough!

Actually all the excitement this week was about lasagna. :confused: LasagnaMan to the rescue??! LasagnaBots on the move!! LasagnaRangers, Power up!! :lol:

26. Sandebeaches

Sandebeaches New Member

May 14, 2008

I teach a kindergarten class and my boys are into Star Wars as well. I've had to have them lay off of it because it was getting to be to much and the aggression level was rising. I thought when I grew up that it wasn't for kids either. So much for parents keeping their children sheltered from violence.

27. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

May 14, 2008

Anything long and saber shaped has had a life as a light saber in my room. Rulers, wooden spoons, pointers...all confiscated because they were light sabers.

28. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 14, 2008

My kids just talk about it and pretend on the playground. I haven't had a single child use anything real as a light saber. I let the playground Star Wars continue as long as no one actually touches anyone else. Imagine two kids with imaginary light sabers "jabbing" each other - actually quite entertaining :lol:

29. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 14, 2008

Oh real things are light sabers around here. A rolled up piece of paper can be a light saber. I subbed in the class yesterday and finally had to call them all on the carpet for shooting each other with their fingers and "psshew pshew" sounds. My button that gets pushed when violence is the play is HUGE and EASY to push. I have this very judgemental voice go off in my head when people use violence in their play. I don't get it, and so my autopilot response is that people who love to pretend to shoot and cut and kill for play must be somehow savage and bad. Haha... I need a new filter for this one 'cuz I'm teaching 2/3 grade next year.