WHAT IS THE DAILY 5??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jun 22, 2010

I see a lot of references to using the Daily 5. I know I even looked into it some time ago, but for the life of me I don't really remember what it is. Can someone tell me what it is and how it benefits the students?? I'm looking for something new and inspiring for the upcoming year, both for me and the kids! Thanks!

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 22, 2010

Isn't the daily 5: Comprehension, Phonics, Vocabulary, Fluency, and.....oh crap forgot the other one..?

4. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jun 22, 2010

Ok, here's another question....

Can anyone give me the title(s) of the books that you use to learn about the Daily 5 and Literacy Cafe (is that the correct name??) Our local prof. development center has a lending library, and I want to see if I can check out the resources from them to learn about this. Thanks again!

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jun 22, 2010

The Daily 5 are 5 basic centers. The great thing about it is that it requires very little work. Most centers you switch out materials constantly. With the Daily 5, you don't have to! The 5 centers are: Read to self, Read to Someone, Word Work, Listen to reading, and Work on Writing.

The two books are called The Daily 5 and The Cafe Book. The books were written by two sisters, so their website is:
    http://www.the2sisters.com/
    Hopefully that site will answer a lot of your questions!

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 22, 2010

No, that's not the Daily Five TeacherApr.

It is written by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser. The Daily Five is made up of: Read to Self, Read to Partner, Listen to Reading, Work on Writing, and Word Work.

It is a method of teaching students what is expected of them in doing each of the daily five activities and gaining independence.

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 22, 2010

sorry...:(:eek: was thinking of something else...

8. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 22, 2010

I'm going to add on here . . .

The Daily 5 is the organizational structure and CAFE is actual content/strategies to teach students to become better readers. CAFE stands for Comprehension, Accuracy (In 6th grade I substitute Awareness since most students are very accurate readers), Fluency and Expand Vocabulary. There are specific strategies to teach for each.

Both books are really easy to read and easy to implement. For me CAFE has by far had the larger impact on reading in my classroom. It has been such a positive experience for me and my students because the CAFE menu (the list of specific strategies) supplies concrete strategies that students can use as they grow as readers. With CAFE, I feel like I'm actually teaching reading and my students are actually learning to become better readers instead of just "doing" reading.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2010

I'd love to hear more about your experience with CAFE in 6th grade, hawkteacher--I'm thinking of implementing it next year with my grade 7/8 class (which will have students working from a grade 3/4 level to above grade level).

10. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jun 23, 2010

I just bought the Daily Five book! I plan to read it on my plane ride to Boston this afternoon! I hope to gain some wonderful new ideas!

11. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jun 23, 2010

Great! Thanks for the answers. I like what hawkteacher said, that her students are not just "doing" reading with this method. I'm going to get the both books, they sound perfect.

12. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jun 23, 2010

I got them from amazon and they arrived super quicklike! :) Am anxious to apply the book in my 3rd grade class.

13. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 23, 2010

MrsC,

I typically get through 3 rotations of Daily 5 a day. I choose which rotations and in which order they happen at the beginning of the school year and when needed after that. A few months into the year, once you have your classroom running smoothly, you can start offering choice (they LOVE this). I usually give them the 3 rotations and they get to choose the order they do them in.

The three rotations I usually plan for are:

Monday - Word Work, Read to Self and Writing or Read with Someone
    Tuesday - Read to Self, Writing, Read with Someone
    Wednesday - Word Work, Read to Self, Writing
    Thursday - Read to Self, Writing, Read with Someone
    Friday - Word Work, Read to Self, Writing

With those 3 rotations, I do one CAFE strategy lesson a day (teaching a specific CAFE strategy with a picture book) and one Writing strategy lesson (this one doesn't always happen every day - it depends). I'm reading and feeling really inspired by Mechanically Inclined right now, so I think I will definitely do more with writing freewrites and mini-lessons during writing strategy time this next year.

The CAFE strategy lessons come from the CAFE menu. I found an adapted intermediate menu on the proteacher boards in the Upper Elementary group for Daily 5/CAFE. I tweaked that version slightly. I can't quite figure out how to post that here - I don't even know if I can lol, but I can definitely share the menu if you want.

Two other important parts of CAFE are individual conferences and strategy groups. Start out with the individual conferences first. Basically you listen to students read and then offer, quick direct instruction on their goal strategy (every student has a goal that you choose for them to work on from the CAFE menu of strategies), they practice their strategy with you and then you give them an assignment to work on during read to self until your next conference. You take notes on all conferences through a binder called the Pensive. I think it's easy to use. Next year, I'm going to use a form that students also have to take notes on (what book, what strategy, my assignment) so they have more accountability for the individual conferences.

I found that the structure for conferences in the CAFE book gave conferences a real purpose and the time was very effective. It got my reluctant readers really excited to read and continue to share their book with me all the time! Overall, I would say the entire class was more motivated to read and and discuss their reading.

Strategy groups start to emerge easily once you have a group of students with the same goal. Even though they might not be reading at the same level, they all have the same goal and you can give that group some instruction time on their strategy.

I highly encourage you to try Daily 5 with the CAFE. For me, the CAFE is the best part. I feel like I have tangible tools to give my students to help them to become better readers and I they felt the same way. It's pretty powerful to have sixth graders begging you to read and write. When I first introduced Daily 5/CAFE they asked if they got to do it for the rest of the year and when I said yes, they cheered! I think the CAFE could definitely work in your classroom. It really differentiates well for all readers since they have their own specific goals that they work on through their read to self books and everyone gets exposed to strategies through the strategy lesson with a picture book. Let me know if you have any other questions!

14. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2010

Would you recommend for a Kinder or 1st grade classroom as well? Thanks :)

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2010

Thanks for the structure framework, hawkteacher. After school is over, I can think about it a bit more, but I'm leaning strongly in that direction. I read Mechanically Inclined last summer, loved it, and incorporated the ideas into my writing program--I'll definitely be continuing with that!

16. monsieurteacher

Jun 24, 2010

katrinka, I have had success with it in a first grade classroom this year, so go for it!

I know that it has been used in kindergarten classes as well, though I think more adaptations would need to be made.

17. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

I think that the Daily 5 started out in a 1/2 classroom, so I think it would be perfect for 1st!

18. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 24, 2010

I would definitely recommend for a 1st grade classroom! D5/CAFE are used in classrooms throughout my building. They work across many ages!

19. monsieurteacher

Jun 24, 2010

Daily Fiver started in a K-2 classroom.

20. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jun 25, 2010

I've used Daily 5/CAFE for 2 years now in First Grade and it works really well!! I've seen a lot of improvement in my student's reading ability based on the data that I have kept!