What is the best way to trim the district's budget?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Feb 14, 2010

I think the key here (and Aliceacc mentioned this) is that it would work for SOME schools. I can tell you that it worked for my school district and neighboring school districts around me also adopted the policy. In my district the drop out rate did not increase, we did not have the consequences that people have mentioned. I don't know what type of school Cassie is in...so it is possible that it would work in her school as well. I understand that in all schools it would not work, but it has the potential to be successful and save schools money.

2. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2010

We have saved a lot just by being more conscious of how we are using supplies:
    --copying things back-to-back or on half sheets whenever possible
    --reminding the kids not to be wasteful when using construction paper, etc. (and keeping scrap boxes so things aren't wasted)
    --we cut out subscriptions for Weekly Reader, etc. Instead, teachers use online resources; we have also taken advantage of the free local newspapers we can get.
    --not using the stapler built into the copier--apparently those staples are very expensive, and also cause more wear and tear to the copier. Now, when I'm giving a multiple page test or handing out a packet, I just staple them as I'm walking around (since I'm checking on the kids anyway). I'm sure with older students, you could pass around the stapler.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2010

Pay to play is an unpopular idea in my school. My school is urban and extremely low-income, like 90% FRL. Sports are THE reason many of our students come to school. Well, sports and free lunch. Take either of those things away and you will have a building with no students.

The thing is that my school is not the only school in the district. We have hundreds of high schools, some low-SES like mine and others whose students/families are wealthy beyond anything I could ever dream of. Pay to play is a real option, mostly because those wealthy schools want it since it cuts down the competition in our district.

Thank you everyone for you wonderful ideas. I've shared many of them with our superintendent. :) Keep 'em coming if you have more!

4. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

Ah see then I don't think pay to play would be a good choice in your school since pretty much all of the students would need the scholarship or opt out option, which would defeat the purpose of pay to play.
    But :eek: hundreds of high schools! Pay to play was mandated in my district, but we only have one high school! What a nightmare to try and find things to cut with that many schools and differing situations! I hope for your students sake things are not cut for the benefit of the higher income schools.