what is the best way to teach reading?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by PenCelia, Nov 29, 2005.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Nov 29, 2005

o.k. this is my first year with my own classroom but I have taught reading groups before. This is the debate I'm having with the reading teacher at school. First she thinks DEAR time should happen every day. I do believe in reading every day but the school where I last worked in just decided that the research shows it isn't effective n the classroom. They actually took it out of the classroom. The other thing I'm having difficulty with is reading aloud with a group of students. In the past I have read our book together with the students. Each child would take a turn(not in a particular order)reading. I keep on mixing it up so they don't know when they get called on. This kept the group together. The reading teacher is all for buddy reading and having the children read silently. From my experience it seems there is more fluency and comprehension when everyone reads together. If one child has a question, then others can also benefit. What do others think? I work with this reading teacher two days a week and I'm not sure how to handle this. I've discussed this with people from the last school I worked in and they say that what I'm doing is guided reading. hmmm......Any thoughts

3. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Nov 29, 2005

Does anyone have any feedback?

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2005

I do DEAR everyday in my classroom. I have books sorted at their level and they are free to choose any book they like. They love this. Yesterday I forgot to do it and they complained!

You are correct about reading together to build fluency but that should be done through poems and songs. I do at least 2 read alouds with my students everyday-this also helps with their fluency if they can hear a story from you with expression etc.

I personally teach them how to read through guided reading. Here I teach them strategies. Have you ever heard of MSV (meaning, syntact, and visual) They need to learn to listen to see if what they are reading makes sense, does it sound right, and does it look right?
    Here we are in small groups so the pressure is off. Research also shows that "round robin reading" is not as effective for children. I remember personally in school doing this and I NEVER listened b/c I was always trying to read my part before I had to read it aloud to see if I knew all the words.
    This is my schedule:
    DEAR (10min)
    Word work (20min)
    shared reading (20min)
    guided reading (1hour)
    read aloud 30 min---social studies in intergrated
    writing 40 min
    lunch/recess
    math 45 min
    science 30 min
    Hope that helps.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 30, 2005

I'm with havan on this. Reserch does show that Round-Robin reading is not benificial (and in some instances can be detremental to the reading process).
    I don't do an everyday DEAR specifically. My kids have it as a free choice when they are finished with their work (they love reading and taking AR quizzes).

My basic literacty block each day looks like this:
    Read Aloud (30 min)
    Reading Workshop/Word Study (1:30)
    Writing Workshop (1 hr-1:30)

In my guided reading groups I do lots of different activities each day. A general group will look approximately like this:
    Day 1: background information, read aloud
    Day 2: find word study pattern in G.R. book
    Day 3: Work on concept/skill, running record
    Day 4: Work on concept/skill, running record
    Day 5: review pattern, review concept skill
    Day 6: buddy read, take home

Like I said it's a general pattern here. I change it up for each group and may spend more time with some groups. My higher groups I may meet with every other day and assign them things to work on. It all depends what I think the students need at that time.

PenCelia-What grade level?

6. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2005

Do you do word study also? Just wondering

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 30, 2005

Yes, I do (or were you talking to PenCelia?). Word study is incorporated every day into the groups.

8. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2005

I was talking to you :) We do word study in both. Do yall give spelling test? I hate spelling test but we do them

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 30, 2005

Yes, but we don't really give a list. Here's our basic time table:
    Day 1: Introduce pattern (ex. short i and long i using silent e), give list of example words (six, side, fish, hide), brain storm (kids think of words within the pattern and you write them down).

Day 2: Students highlight words with pattern in a given poem (I like to give them about 3-5 poems in a packet, with their pattern as the front cover; that way they can do another poem the next day or do them independently).

Day 3: Students find pattern words in their G.R. book, write them on a sticky note in the book.

Day 4: Repeat any activities (poem), do pattern specific activities.

Day 5: Test (choose 4-6 words off given list, 2-4 off brain storm list, and 2-4 words off hidden list)

10. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2005

Thats funny we basicly do the same thing :) But I do my word work whole class.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 30, 2005

We use Words their Way, so I have 2 groups. I probably should have more (5), but I'm trying to make less work for me.

12. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2005

We use words their way, words matter, another fontas/pinnell book. We just use a little of everything. I like it. The kids are really starting to get it.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2005

My school uses leveled texts for Reading Workshop time. Students are each choosing books at their own level for reading. We have a mini-lesson, a practice of the strategy, and then send off for independent reading/reading conferences with teacher. I also use Balanced Literacy strategies across the curriculum. One time per week for literacy centers, Word work 2 or three times per week plus spelling.

14. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Dec 1, 2005

Thanks! I teach 5th grade but have 4th grade for reading. We are using the kd in the red jacket. We tested our children with words their way but can't seem to find the time to fit it inour reading hour.

15. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 1, 2005

It is really works!! Maybe take 15 min.