what is the appropriate student:staff ratio?

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by thelonius, Oct 3, 2006.

1. thelonius

thelonius Rookie

Oct 3, 2006

I'm concerned over this school that admits special needs children, and places them in a so-called "integrated" classroom. As per the child's individualized IEP, the student/staff ratio varies from 8:1:1 to 9:1:1, with some even requiring SEIT or one-to-one paraprofessional support. On the other hand, the current placement is a classroom of 22 to 24 children, and over half them are with special needs. There are four adult staff in the classroom -- 1 teacher, 3 TAs -- and the teacher is not even certified in special education. In some other classrooms, there are only one teacher and two TAs -- yes, the teacher may have elementary and/or early childhood certification, but not in special education.

A teacher was already asked to pack her stuff after she verbalized her concerns towards the owner(s) of the institution, with regards to the overwhelming demands, of trying to meet the special needs of those children.

With that in mind, what is the appropriate integrated classroom ratio if the desired 8:1:1, 9:1:1, 12:1:4 (as per IEP) could not be met? If you are a faculty/staff person emplyed by this school, what are you're thoughts about the current placement of these students? What will your .02 cents be if your child attends this school?

At this point, I'm interested to know more about how the system is "supposed" to be working in the childrens' and their respective families' favor in both the State and City of New York. Responses from other states are also greatly appreciated...

3. thelonius

thelonius Rookie

Oct 4, 2006

By not getting any replies after being viewed 47 times, I will "safely assume" therefore, that life goes on, and it would be best not to snoop my nose to where it doesn't belong. The above-mentioned school, therefore, can also continue their placement practices indefinitely.

This might not be the appropriate place to make such posts.

my apologies for wasting your time ...

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 5, 2006

Sorry, thelonious... I don't feel like v know enough about what you're asking to give a helpful answer, which may be the case with other people, as well.

In my previous district, the parents hade a HUGE influence, although no one wanted to admit it... all they had to do was threaten due process, and their kid would get whatever the parents wanted. If the current placement isn't appropriate for the student to get their needs met, perhaps the parents could say something to the school and request a meeting? That may at least get the ball rolling.

5. erinkate

erinkate Rookie

Oct 16, 2006

Appropriate ratios

Hi there. I can try to answer your question based on the ratio's for special education classes in my district. It really depends on the level of intervention for each student.

Itinerant LS- caseload up to 30
    Resource- LS 20
    Part time- 8 (pullout)

This is at the elementary level. Most teachers have at least two or more at the Resource and Itinerant levels

I am classified as Part time, so I can not have any more than 8 in my class. Hope this helps

Kate

PS I am in PA