What Is Success?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Jul 15, 2013.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Jul 15, 2013

Which of the following quotes do you agree with?

1. Success is doing what you want, when you want, where you want, with whom you want as much as you want. - Anthony Robbins

2. Success is being happy whatever, whenever, and wherever you are.
    -Unknown

I would go agree more with number 2. I think having a successful business where you create your own hours because you are the boss would be awesome...but I really have a lot of respect for people who are able to find happiness in whatever situation they are in or whatever amount of money they are earning...:) They might not be able enjoy the 'fancier' things in life but they are creative enough to make the best out of their situation..

My definition of success though is progress/growth in all areas: spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and financially. I believe the things I don't have yet is what keeps me looking forward to another day :cool:

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

#2 Happiness is definitely success. Being able to enjoy the truly important things in life (like family) is success. It´s so sad that so many people are caught up in superficial things, like status, brands, etc., but when my time is up on earth I will have let everyone important to me know know how much they mean to me.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 15, 2013

Neither of the above, because it's unrealistic to expect to be happy all the time. (It isn't happiness that drives people to search for solutions: rather, it's one version or another of being bothered by/about something enough to do something about it.)

5. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Jul 15, 2013

Hi TeacherGroupie, may I ask, what is your definition of success?

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

TG: I think the idea is a sense of general happiness as it´s rather unrealistic to expect one to be happy at all times. Even our founding father´s recognized happiness to be an important aspect of a healthy populous when they stated that one of our unalienable rights is¨the pursuit of Happiness¨.

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2013

If you are happy you are as close to successful as you can be.
    Money cannot buy love or happiness. Cliché but I have seen
    proof. But some folks define success differently.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 15, 2013

No definition of success in this context. It is in the eye of the beholder.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2013

My definition of success varies with the domain. If I know I do something well, it takes more to make me feel I've succeeded than it does in domains in which I know I'm not so good - though experience tells me that I will be antsier about the latter.

The OP's definition #2 stated that success is being happy under ALL circumstances. That's by no means the same thing as having the right to pursue happiness under all circumstances. What's more, I'd like to leave room for the possibility that I may succeed by some definition even though I don't feel happy about what I've been able to accomplish. Consider Vincent van Gogh, who was hardly a poster boy for happiness in his lifetime, or Auguste Renoir at the end of his life, incapable of grasping a paintbrush without excruciating pain: to say that he was happy in such agony requires a definition of happiness that I'm not sure can be sustained.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 16, 2013

I would also say neither of choice 1 nor 2.
    My definition of success is something like this (I'd probably have to think about it and refine it)
    Success is when you are able to do something great via hard work, determination, especially if you have faced many obstacles, and you have won the battle against all odds.

So for me, this applies to a rich kid who was able to go to Harvard, but he still had to stick with it, complete it and then use the knowledge to become successful at something. It also applies to the kid who was raised in poverty, felt that he had no hope and no chances, but still was able to rise above it somehow, and didn't become a statistic (either in jail or cemetery). This guy may be making minimum wage and is still struggling, but he's living a life that doesn't include gangs, drugs, crime, etc. That is an even bigger success for me.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2013

I don't think that success is about being selfish (like the first quotation) or about happiness (the second). I think that success can be defined in much simpler terms: it's about using available resources to achieve a goal.

In some parts of my life, I have been and am successful. In other parts of my life, I have not yet been successful, although I am trying. Even though I haven't been as successful as I want to be, I am still pretty happy.

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2013

Success is when you are "STRESS-FREE!"
    It's when you're LIVING THE LIFE that YOU DREAMED ABOUT!
    Like Rush Limbaugh puts it, "Living the dream!"
    Rebel1

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2013

Neither defines success for me.

I see success as working hard and achieving a goal....reaping the benefits of that achievement and continuing to work toward new goals.

14. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Jul 16, 2013

I guess to everyone, success means being happy and HOW to reach that level of happiness is different to everyone

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2013

I see your point on that.

16. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 16, 2013

Success to me is:

- being satisfied/happy with your life
    - having the ability to provide for your needs and wants - whatever they may be