What is smarter to do?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teacher girl, Mar 10, 2013.

1. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Mar 10, 2013

Ok, I am applying for jobs and the district that I want to apply to gives you an option as to what type of special education you want to teach. ( LD, ID, ED, ASD) I really, really want to be an LD teacher. However, I really need a job, my friends are saying I should check all the boxes however, I don't want to teach ED or ASD because i don't think i can handle the responsibility. Should I be honest about what I want to teach and risk not being offered a job this year?

3. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Mar 10, 2013

You know yourself best. I personally think it is dishonest to apply for a job teaching ED or ASD that you don't really want. I teach ASD and it is not for the faint of heart, it definitely takes the right personality. On the other hand, though I am qualified, I know I do not want to teach LD because my heart is in self-contained, teaching functional communication and life skills. Plus, if you get a job you don't really want for the sake of a job, you are denying those kids a chance to be taught by a teacher that really wants to be there. And if you get fed up and quit halfway through the year, that throws kids who are LEAST able to handle lack of structure and change into the chaos of permanent sub land. Don't do it.

If you are willing to relocate, you will find a SPED job in LD. My district (which is smallish and rather rural) has 3 mid-year openings in LD right now because they can't find qualified people that want to come here.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2013

Are you sure you know what an LD teacher does? Your other recent post seems to indicate that you might not.

If you don't want to teach the other groups, don't. It's even okay to decide to stick with what you want in your first rounds of applications, then follow it up with a second or third round of applications with everything checked if you don't get any hits on your preferred options.

5. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Mar 10, 2013

I would check everything. I really wanted to be an RSP teacher and mild moderate teacher. I thought it was everything. I got my mild moderate credential. It was the worst year teaching for me. I will do it if I need to but it is not for me.

I am an autism teacher at heart. I work best with an SH population and truthfully I love it! I had to go back and add this credential. You never know what you think you will like and you what like may end being two different things.

Stephanie

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 10, 2013

If it were me, I would check all of the boxes. Then, if and when you are offered an interview, inquire as to the type of position it is for and the setting it will be in. I currently work in a mild/moderate resource classroom that most would probably consider an "LD" room, but I service kids who are identified as SLD, ID, autism, ED, and language impaired. The name of the disability really doesn't necessarily determine the type of classroom or the level of services you will provide. Just don't accept an interview for a job that you know you have no interest in. Although, with that said, keep an open mind. As others have said, you never know... you might truly love working in a self-contained life skills setting.

7. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 10, 2013

Teacher girl, I am so confused by your posting history!

Are you student teaching in a special ed self-contained classroom? Is your CT a special ed teacher? Is your master's in special ed or general ed? You mentioned a special ed endorsement in one thread.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2013

Ditto!

9. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Mar 10, 2013

I am student taching in a self contained classroom. My Ct is a special education teacher and my masters is in special educationK-12. ( in virginia you're certified to teach all disabilities with this credential) My ct hates me so sometimes i contemplate quitting teaching, however i really need a job. My dream is to be an LD teacher someday. But it seems that the only openings are ED or ASD and being a new teacher, i don't think I can handle that population.

I graduate this May after student teaching. And I wil have my license by this summer. I have just started to apply for jobs so that I can find something by fall of this year.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 10, 2013

What are the students like in your student teaching classroom? And what grades? You've stated that you don't like the CT you work with, but how do you feel about the students? Could you see yourself working with similar students in your own classroom?

Being that you're in a self-contained classroom, I'm guessing that your are not student teaching in an "LD" classroom. What is typically referred to as "LD" is usually an inclusion and/or resource setting. So, how do you feel about the self-contained setting? When you say you want to teach LD, are you saying that you would prefer inclusion or resource?

11. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 10, 2013

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. :)

In the past, you said you had your license and your masters, hence the confusion. Do you have a gen ed license, and getting your masters in special ed?

I'm also interested in knowing which grades you're teaching. Primary, elementary, middle, or high school?

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 11, 2013

But not always! :) I teach self-contained LD. Technically I am starting to push out students to inclusion, but 9/12 I have all day.

OP-I say check all the boxes and take all the interviews. You never know what opportunities may present themselves and you don't have to take anything you're uncomfortable with.

13. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2013

Yes, I taught self-contained LD for 5 years as well. They were typically lower-functioning LD students who usually had some issues combined with that as well, or just really needed the extra attention.

14. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Mar 17, 2013

This is true. You may not know the true designation of a class until you ask HR or when you interview.
    You should just evaluate what it is you want to teach. If your heart is not in it then don't consider the job and don't apply. There are too many classrooms with revolving doors of teachers.
    You might benefit from doing some observations in classes to see what is a good fit for you with regard to disability, age, and setting.

15. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Apr 1, 2013

For what it's worth, I've taught K-2 ED for four years now...and love it. I never would have thought I'd be doing this when I was student teaching, lol. My first year was rough, no way I can deny that, but it's--actually a lot of fun.

Anyway, "never say never" as they say! :) Good luck in your search!