What is required for your ST program?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Master Pre-K, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2008

Hello All,

Working on another paper,

Would like to know about your student teaching experience. I put this thread in General Education. But I would also like to hear from everyone who is currently going through this stage.

I had 16 weeks of student teaching. Eight weeks in Pre-K and another 8 weeks in 3rd grade. The first week was supposed to be only observation. (Yeah, right..you know how that went!) The next five weeks were spent preparing my lessons, while getting a better understanding of the classrom. The last two weeks I had complete control of the classroom. I was graded by my field based teacher and site based teacher. My field base teacher graded me on a lesson in the last week.

During that last semester in college, I also had to take classroom management and computers for teachers. That was pretty hectic for me.

Prior to that, I completed 100 clock hours of field based obseration/tutoring in different schools.

My biggest complaint is that I was never given any coures in adult supervision, or assessment/grading, etc. I was later told by others that this is just something you learn when you begin teaching.

Also, I wish I could have spent another week in charge of the class.

I am told that many schools have mandatory new teacher mentor programs. I would like to know if anyone is currently in this program, or participated in a mentor program. I wish I would have been given an opportunity to have a mentor.

So...

tell me...

What is required in your student teaching program?

What would you change? Is there anything you would add or remove from your student teaching program??

3. tiffanys

tiffanys Companion

Apr 9, 2008

I think all student teaching programs are different and they all really depend on the student, university supervisor as well as the co-op. For me, I was supposed to observe for the first 3 weeks and then start taking over classes gradually however, I started teaching the entire morning after 1 week.

After my first about a month and a half I had the entire day to myself. For my student teaching program I stay in the same school in the same grade with the same class for the entire semester. It is definitely something that I would like to change. I hear so often that other schools offer the chance for their students to split their student teaching.

For me, I'm not sure what grade level I want to teach, currently I am student teaching 2nd grade, I love it, but there are 31 of them. It's very hectic and just being a student teacher there are times when I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing. I think it would serve beneficial for myself to have split my time with a smaller grade and perhaps another level so that I can experience the best of both worlds.

Just my opinion

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2008

thanks for your input tiffanys!

5. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Apr 18, 2008

Master: I'm designing a bit of a change to our ST program here. What are some suggestions you'd make to a mentor teacher to make ST a better experience?

Thanks!

6. OutInHawaii

OutInHawaii New Member

May 1, 2008

I'm a year away from student teaching but I do know how the system works at our college. For the first 3 semesters in the program, we spend 2 days each week in a elementary school. The first semester, they expect us to do a couple lessons here and there. By the end of the third semester, we should be able to take the class for a whole day. The main goal here is to just get used to what a classroom is like and explore our teaching style.

For our student teaching semester, we are at the school everyday. During that semester, we are supposed to solo teach 3 weeks of classes. The weeks don't have to be consecutive. The advice they give us is to take a couple weeks to lesson plan, then teach for a week, then plan again for the 2nd teaching week and so on. Our field supervisors and mentor teachers would watch and give us feedback accordingly.

7. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

May 1, 2008

Our teaching degree is 4 years long. We have to decide b4 we start what grade we want to teach (pre-school to Grade 3; Grade 4 - 9; Grade 9 - 12). I did pre-school to 3 with additional course for infants and toddlers. First year you do 25 days prac (in one 5 week block)teaching art, music, stories and lots of observation in a pre-school, specifically ages 2 - 5. 2nd year 25 days teaching the whole curriculum (languages, numeracy, music, movement, art, PE etc) in Grade R (reception year or kindergarten) and the 4 - 5yr old groups. 3rd year you do 25 days teaching languages (home and additional), music, movement, PE in grades 1, 2 & 3 (you have to present lessons in ALL the grades) and 4th year 25 days teaching numeracy, languages, science and technology.

You are supposed to use the first 3 days as observation, then start teaching lessons. The Universoty encourages taking ovr the class for a week or so but I have never had a teacher willing to let me do that excpet when they're not there. We also have specific lessons set out to do (ie we HAVE to do a languages lesson in x grade using a specific method of teaching) This means that we are FORCED to teach in ALL grades in ALL subjects in many different methods.

I can remember in 4th year we had to present a MINIMUM of 12 home languages lessons, of which 3 had to be reading, 3 had to be writing, 2 had to be oral etc etc. Then there was still 5 additional languages lessons, 15 numeracy lessons, 6 PE lessons, 4 science, 2 technology etc

I know one of the other teacher colleges just require their students to teach some lessons. I knew one girl who JUST did art lessons her whole prac time!

We also have to find our own schools to do pracs at and apply and ask nicely and find a mentor teacher etc. All markings of lessons is doen by the class teacher so if there is a personality clash or the teacher isn't in a good mood then you don't get a great mark.

I like the fact that you're forced to do all grades and lessons. Makes you think and get outside your comfort zone.

8. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

May 1, 2008

I've loved my student teaching experience (last day today). Here's a rough outline:

Fall Semester~

We came back a full week before the University started to help our CTs set up their classrooms, attend faculty meetings, and county-wide school meetings. I was placed in kindergarten and was there on the first day of school. We were in the classroom for 18 hours a week (two full days, and a half day each week) plus we had 14 hours of college classes to take. The year started with small duties (like small group art projects, morning meeting, etc) and slowly added subjects. We had to design a week-long unit which was taught after Thanksgiving and then we had full-time teaching for a whole week.

Spring Semester~
    I was placed in 3rd grade. Same set up as the previous semester, except no college classes! We were in the classroom all day, every day. We slowly added subjects until we were full time teaching for at least three weeks. We taught all subjects for at least six weeks. During this semester, I clocked nearly 500 classroom hours (nearly 200 direct teaching hours). I also had 4 formal observations from my CT, and two university supervisors. I created a portfolio, too, and used it in a mock interview with the school principal.

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 11, 2008

I student taught for 18 weeks. My first 9 weeks were in a 6th grade classroom, and my second 9 weeks were in a 2nd grade classroom at another school but in the same district. My first week I was to only observe, then slowly I was to take over one subject each week. By the 8th week I was supposed to start giving the class back to the master teacher.
    My first 9 weeks I had 2 classes to take at my university...one ELD class and then a Student Teaching seminar class...which I loved because we could all get help on what was going on with our student teaching experiences. The second 9 weeks I only had one class, it was a humanities class.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 11, 2008

wow that was two weeks longer than we have in IL...but seems like it was well worth it!

11. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

May 18, 2008

I know you started this thread a long time ago, but it's still interesting to see what everyone else had to say. Mine was also 16 weeks- 8 in Pre-K and 8 in 2nd grade. I pretty much had control of the classroom in Week 2. As much as I liked diving in, it would have been nice to watch a little longer to size up the kids' ability levels. I never saw my CT teach a reading lesson from the series, and then I was handed the manual and told to plan reading for the following week.

I've always wondered if Elem Ed majors get some kind of classroom management course that early childhood majors don't.

I got evaluations from my field-based teacher about 4 times for each placement, and my CT every week.

I'm not sure how our program compares with regard to observation or tutoring hours. I do know that I had a 14 week clinical experience two days a week in a first grade classroom. They placed another college student in the classroom with me, so it was nothing at all like a typical classroom. (The CT, me, the other college student, a para....and about 20 kids).

12. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

May 18, 2008

Wow. My life would have been so much easier if I didn't have to plan and teach consecutively! But I feel that I got a realistic experience, even though it was hectic. :)

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

yes jr I did finish paper...and class..but thanks so much for your input...

any prospects for you???

14. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

May 19, 2008

You know, I still have to take the APT exam... so I've asked my CT if she thinks I will still be able to interview without that taken care of. If it's an issue, I guess I'll be doing preschool again this year.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

have u seen this...

did you see this for CPS ???

Attention Certified Teacher Candidates

Mark Your Calendars With the Certified Teacher Career Fair*

Saturday, May 31, 2008
    Navy Pier
    600 E. Grand Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60611

Job Fair:
    10:00 am to 2:00 pm

Click here for more information on the Certified Teacher Career Fair. Principals will be looking to hire candidates for the 2008-09 school year. To RSVP, send an email to trrsvp@cps.k12.il.us or call (773) 553-1134 for automated confirmation.

*A resume indicating teacher certification or eligibility for certification will be required for admittance to the fair. Please bring additional resumes for distribution at the fair.

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

this is tomorrow..

sorry for short notice..but this is tomorrow..

Northeastern Illinois University Chicago & Suburban Teacher Job Fair

Teacher Job Fair

Tue May 20, 2008

www.neiu.edu/~deptpoff/students/job_fairs.htm

Northeastern Illinois University Student Union - Alumni Hall - May 20, 2008, 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
    Address:Chicago, IL
    Directions:

17. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

May 19, 2008

18. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

May 20, 2008

We have 2 practicums that are 60 hours in the classroom, one in a child care center and one in an elementary school.
    Then we have student teaching for 8 weeks in one of the above
    That is just for an associate's degree.
    For the student teaching, I only had to teach 1 week
    and the teacher does not like anyone else to lead her class so since my lead week, I haven't done much except for cleaning up and straightening centers!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

Hmmm...sounds like my last few jobs! :(

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

yw...I don't know if we talked since the push for State Pre-K, but there are many opportunities now in private and public child care centers that did not exist before!

Any program which applies for the State Pre-K grant must hire certified, Type 04 teachers. That includes public preschools as well.

I plan to revisited all those places I applied last year. Turnover in this field is unbelievable. :unsure: