What is provided by the school and what is personal?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mr_post22, Feb 12, 2014.

1. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 12, 2014

What does your school or district provide for you to teach with and what do you bring from home?

SCHOOL: LCD Projector, Elmo, teacher computer (Windows XP Professional), TV, VCR, WiFi router (no idea why I have it), 3M overhead projector, 5 computer labs (Windows 7), and I got a broken printer and document shredder.

PERSONAL: HP Officeject Pro 8600*, 2 sets of wireless keyboards and mice, wireless USB connection between projector and computer, personal laptop for projector**, Bose speakers, Wii*, iPod Touch and docking station*.
    *I bought these at an estate sale for less than $50
    **If I have to do student presentations, I use this so they don't come behind my desk and they are in the front of the class.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2014

Personal: two teacher stools (although I could have ordered with budget money), desk decor (photos, vase for flowers, etc), some personal care items and snacks ( hand cream,fragrance, mascara, lip balm. Sewing kit, Tylenol, tea bags, coffee cup, etc)
    Everything else is provide by my school...we don't want for much..

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2014

School: Projector, Speakers

Personal: Laptop, everything else in regards to supplies/materials including copy paper ... I'm tired of buying copy paper.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2014

The only technology-type item that I supply myself is my portable hard drive for my own files. I don't and won't supply any other technology for my students. If it's important, school should provide it. (I'm not saying that school will provide it, only that they should.)

The other personal things that I bring into my classroom are decorations, fun school supplies (mostly for myself, but I do sometimes have art supplies available for students until they are gone or destroyed), and reference books for myself when I'm planning lessons.

6. AliLand

AliLand Rookie

Feb 13, 2014

I had enough carting a whole library round on my back, I got a tablet (Acer - as the USB port means I can use it with the smart boards easily)
    I keep a stack of lined paper - as we always seem to run out, but everything is provided. We have a big IT department, so no one brings their own lap tops. Recently, we 'requisitioned' some old ones for the staff room. Teachers take turn bringing coffee, but the head takes more than her share of turns. We have one well equipped ladies toilet (use & replace) with lots of female essentials plus emergency sewing kit, pain killers tights .......

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 13, 2014

With my new administrator I am buying less and less for my classroom out of my own pocket. She manages our budget well and there seems to always been enough for what we need and many of our wants as well.

However, in my first few years at this school there was a different administrator and I bought nearly everything in my classroom. As a new teacher I had NO idea how to go about buying supplies using the school's budget so I bought everything myself. There didn't seem to be as much money in our school then.

8. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 13, 2014

School: Last classroom I was in the only working computer was at my desk and it was old and slow. For some reason I had two overhead projectors. Also, a TV that got no stations but it did have a VCR (didn't work) We did get plenty of copy paper and some consumables in limited amounts like pencils, paper, EXPO markers etc A very limited number of paper back trade books in "library" No printer, no LCD projector, no ELMO.

Personal Hundreds of trade books that I've collected through the years for the classroom library.
    A carpet for "circle time"
    A pencil sharpener (none provided at all)
    Supplementary pencils, crayons, glue sticks, EXPO markers, tape
    Wood shelving for library (had to build it)
    Many kinds of small rewards such as stickers, novelty pencils and erasers, candy, cheap books etc.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 13, 2014

All technology is provided by the school and shipped to my home office if I don't want to drive to HQ and get it myself. This includes a router, laptop, Cisco phone (which works through my cable line), monitor, printer / scanner, headsets with microphones for the phone and computer, mouse (with pad), and plenty of coax cables. My internet is expensed twice a year. They also provide me with printer ink, paper, and any other office supplies I request within reason. I provide my own furniture.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2014

I have all the technology I need provided by the school. I can get office supplies from the office. They have this closet that they have stuff in and its kind of cool to go "shopping" in there. I have asked for some pretty obscure stuff and have found it in there. I do buy my own pencils for my class because I prefer to use the Ticonderoga. I will buy a pack everytime I go to Walmart during the summer and some parents do buy them at the beginning of the year. I buy crayons when they are on sale too. I have a ton of them. We have a foundation that we can apply for grants and stuff. I am thinking about writing one for a classroom library that is grade level appropriate. Our old principal was really good about buying things we needed. This one is ok with buying things we need but we better have a really good reason for it. We get $75 a year for start up costs. All in all I think we are pretty lucky as a district as to what we have, what we need, and what we want. We usually get it.